Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

The Hastie Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by JAJ
Recruiting and training rookie police officers is easy, filling a gap in the ranks of experienced officers is less so.

SA will have to look at their needs. If they need *experienced* officers they will likely look first to other states or New Zealand. After that, they will then be possibly interested in sponsoring officers from other countries, and UK police officers would be among those sought.

Jeremy
My husband (cop) and myself (nurse) are in the process of lodging our skilled independant visa. We were going to QLD because they are the only state who offer a lateral transfer for police officers from other states or overseas. However, we have been in touch with SA police and they have told us that they plan to visit the UK in Jan/Feb 2005 to do selection for the Regional State Sponsored visa. The one downside from the information given to us is that they do not do a lateral transfer so you would probably have to go down to Constable pay point 1 again but they did say that promotion possibilities were excellent. Details of their visit to the UK has not been finalised yet and we were told to keep checking SAPOL recruiting web site and also www.immigration.sa.gov.au for further information. Have also heard on the grapevine from a Scottish cop now working in QLD that they are thinking of suspending the PACE recruitment for a couple of years to revamp the course, but that is only a rumour.
Hope this helps!
Carolyn
Old Nov 29th 2004, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

galenco is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Carolyn,
My husband is also a Police Officer, (I am a hairdresser). He is hopefully going to apply to Western Australia Police. Did you know they also need experienced Officers? They also offer a similar process to PACE in Queensland and recognise experience with regard to salary etc. We visited both Queensland, (Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast), and Perth WA in August and got all the application forms etc from the recruiting centres.
Hope this helps!

Anna
Old Nov 29th 2004, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by galenco
Hi Carolyn,
My husband is also a Police Officer, (I am a hairdresser). He is hopefully going to apply to Western Australia Police. Did you know they also need experienced Officers? They also offer a similar process to PACE in Queensland and recognise experience with regard to salary etc. We visited both Queensland, (Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast), and Perth WA in August and got all the application forms etc from the recruiting centres.
Hope this helps!

Anna
Hi Anna, thanks for that. I didn't realise that WA acknowledged prior service -now another area to look at!! Can I ask why you have chosen Perth to apply to. We have never been to Oz so are looking for all the info we can. My parents have just returned from Queensland - Brisbane and Sunshine Coast. It would be really great to hear your comparison of Brisbane and Perth.
Thanks again,
Carolyn
Old Nov 30th 2004, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi Carolyn,
We have found it very difficult to decide where to go. Both sides are very nice. Queensland is very lush and beautiful which we feel may mean more bugs! especially in summer. Beaches are beautiful on both sides although I could not get over the turquoise blue of the Indian Ocean in Perth. Overall we feel Perth will be easier to adjust to. It felt familiar to us in the Northern Subs. A lot of development is going on over there houses are beautiful and I think they were a little less expensive than Queensland for a house just a short stroll from the beach. It all depends on what you want. You can buy a beautiful acreage house in Brisbane area but after thinking about it there will probably be more bugs! I think I will need hypnotherapy or something to get over my fear of spiders! However I must say when we were over there in August we did not come across any. Its quite difficult to quantify a feel you get for a place, you just know when you feel comfortable somewhere.
Hope this helps
Anna

If you want to know anything more just ask
Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by galenco
Hi Carolyn,
We have found it very difficult to decide where to go. Both sides are very nice. Queensland is very lush and beautiful which we feel may mean more bugs! especially in summer. Beaches are beautiful on both sides although I could not get over the turquoise blue of the Indian Ocean in Perth. Overall we feel Perth will be easier to adjust to. It felt familiar to us in the Northern Subs. A lot of development is going on over there houses are beautiful and I think they were a little less expensive than Queensland for a house just a short stroll from the beach. It all depends on what you want. You can buy a beautiful acreage house in Brisbane area but after thinking about it there will probably be more bugs! I think I will need hypnotherapy or something to get over my fear of spiders! However I must say when we were over there in August we did not come across any. Its quite difficult to quantify a feel you get for a place, you just know when you feel comfortable somewhere.
Hope this helps
Anna

If you want to know anything more just ask
Hi Anna, thanks again. I find it really useful hearing other people's opinons about places but as you say you do get a 'feeling' for where is right for you. We had been seriously considering South Australia but apparently the flies are bad in Adelaide and that would drive me crazy!! I can cope with spiders etc but not flys!!
Anyway, look forward to hearing posts as to how you get on. Have you lodged your visa yet? Ours wont be lodged until January but then you have to wait for the PR before even applying for the police force - however I am sure it will be worth the wait.
All the best
Carolyn
Old Dec 27th 2004, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

ccuz is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone had an update from SA police after applying?
Old Dec 28th 2004, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

dcooke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ccuz
Just a quick question.... Any UK coppers applieed to move to OZ as a skilled worker?

I cant find anything that would correlate to Police on the list?
Old Dec 28th 2004, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough

no we havent had a reply yet - my boyfriend applied. we were actually on holiday in perth when we had the email, so we had a major oanic and filled out the forms when we were there, and then had three days on our return to get all the certs etc together. so short notice!!! it isnt very feasible for us - to start in march after maybe a couple of weeks notice is absolutely ridiculous - i presume they want people to be happy there so they will stay in the job, but how can anyone settle if they have two weeks to leave?? we spoke to adelaide recruitment about this, and they said theyd give the family (but obvioulsy not the applicant) 6 months from march to move out, so they could sell property, sort kids, pets etc etc... hello!!!! i couldnt keep up the mortgage payments on our house on our own and the police there whilst training arent on much! we decided to apply to find out more about the process and get feedback if he gets knocked back, and hope that WA police pull their fingers out and do the same. they will do it, but they dont know when yet...

let us know if you hear??

good luck!
Old Dec 28th 2004, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Appears that the results will be available for the paper sift on the 30th December, hope everyone is lucky
Old Dec 28th 2004, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zoe100
no we havent had a reply yet - my boyfriend applied. we were actually on holiday in perth when we had the email, so we had a major oanic and filled out the forms when we were there, and then had three days on our return to get all the certs etc together. so short notice!!! it isnt very feasible for us - to start in march after maybe a couple of weeks notice is absolutely ridiculous - i presume they want people to be happy there so they will stay in the job, but how can anyone settle if they have two weeks to leave?? we spoke to adelaide recruitment about this, and they said theyd give the family (but obvioulsy not the applicant) 6 months from march to move out, so they could sell property, sort kids, pets etc etc... hello!!!! i couldnt keep up the mortgage payments on our house on our own and the police there whilst training arent on much! we decided to apply to find out more about the process and get feedback if he gets knocked back, and hope that WA police pull their fingers out and do the same. they will do it, but they dont know when yet...

good luck!
are wa police going to do the same as sa police?
Old Dec 28th 2004, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

chew is an unknown quantity at this point

In Todays Paper UK
--------------------------------------------
Police who will take a pay cut to go Down Under

By James Chapman Political Correspondent

Last edited by Sue; Jul 6th 2005 at 1:17 am. Reason: Article removed due to copyright.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Old Dec 30th 2004, 7:42 am
Just Joined

dcooke is an unknown quantity at this point

From Queensland Police....

Good morning Sir:

Thank you for your e-mail requesting information on admission to the Queensland
Police Service.

PartnerOne is the 'Shared Services Provider' for the QPS and has recently taken
on the responsibility for administrative functions relating to the processing of
applications from persons seeking to become police officers. To ensure that
your application is processed in accordance with current policies and
procedures, PartnerOne will be working in close consultation with the QPS.

The Queensland Police Service has a Police Abridged Competency Education (PACE)
program to particularly recruit and train police officers from other Australian
States and overseas. Applicants are required to have a minimum of three years
sworn service and permanent resident status before they can be considered for
appointment as a recruit. It should be noted that the Service is not able to
sponsor overseas applicants for the purpose of obtaining permanent resident
status or for immigration, nor can any guarantee of employment be given for
immigration purposes. Similarly, it is not possible to undergo any
assessment/selection process prior to being granted permanent resident status.

If you are successful in obtaining permanent resident status, you would be
required to undergo the selection process and compete on merit with all other
applicants. However, because of your police experience, you may be considered
for a reduced training program and upon successful completion of that training
program, you would be sworn-in as a Constable.

I suggest that you contact the Australian High Commission, Australia House, The
Strand London WC2 B4 LA, telephone 020 7379 4334 for further information about
gaining Australian permanent residency or you may wish to access the Australian
Immigration Internet web site at www.immi.gov.au or www.australia.org.uk

If you would like to view the full information package and application forms
they can be found on The Queensland Police Service web site at
www.police.qld.gov.au/recruiting Select "Become a Queensland Police Officer" in
the left column and then "Selection Process" also in the left column. Select
the PACE prompts for the information that you require.

If you have further questions regarding any aspect of the Police Abridged
Competency Education Program or you are unable to download the necessary
application forms do not hesitate to e-mail, write or telephone me on 61 7 3364
4015 or 61 7 3364 4010 with your postal address and I will mail out an
application pack.

Thank you for your interest in the Queensland Police Service.

Yours sincerely
Old Dec 30th 2004, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

As far as I know " No".
You still need PR.
In WA you have to start at the bottom, 26 weeks at training school and then you must complete certain competencies to gain promotion through Constable-Constable First Class-Senior Constable.
Although they will let you progress to these ranks as soon as you have done these competencies, unlike a rookie who has to adhere to a time frame for each level (ie, Senior Constable normaly takes 5 years).
WA have an Assesment unit who will look at your experience for these ranks.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 11:47 pm
HCK
Forum Regular

HCK is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Hello there, my husband has applied to SA Police, and has been asked to sit the Entrance exam on 6th January. I also agree the timescale is unrealistic! however this is the chance we have been waiting for since we visited Perth two years ago. Let me know if you hear anything, good luck

good luck![/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.