Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Old Aug 15th 2014, 7:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Originally Posted by jim2001
Oh good find,

Looks like they will be accepting applications from Police from January 2015 only 200 accepted thou.

Can anyone with a bit more knowledge on the subject confirm??

Cheers,

Jim
Police officers have *always* been an eligible occupation for a CEC app, any 'skilled' job is, which covers thousands and thousands of them. They can also apply for PR as Skilled Workers too.

But to qualify for a PR via the CEC, you need to have worked in Canada for a year or more in that job, and therein lies the problem - no force is currently prepared to sponsor an applicant for a Temp Work Permit. Ditto for a Skilled Worker PR app, you'd need to have a valid LMIA/TWP before you could apply.

In January the whole system is changing to an EOI system, so again, unless police forces in Canada are prepared to sponsor applicants in, that's not going to be an option either.

Hope that clarifies it?
Old Aug 17th 2014, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

ryzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Evening forum. I'm going to Calgary next month (15th of September 2014) and have a ride along arranged. I also have a meeting with the CPS recruitment team. If anything interesting comes to light as a result i'll post here.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

foregonereality is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ryzie
Evening forum. I'm going to Calgary next month (15th of September 2014) and have a ride along arranged. I also have a meeting with the CPS recruitment team. If anything interesting comes to light as a result i'll post here.
Please do fill us in on what they have to say..!

christmasoompa - thanks for the heads up. I'd never seen a proper table outlining professions and number of allocated places for CEC so was curious when I saw it. I can understand how security services in general require extensive background checking and individuals who understand the role they're doing and the people they're interacting with. What puzzles me however is that there are other valued, important Government professions actively seeking applications from Irish/UK applicants.

I see it every day with the number of nurses, social workers and paramedics who leave here to go to Canada and Aus for a better lifestyle. I don't understand why police forces aren't considering the same given the success of the lads and ladies who've made the move in the past.

Last edited by foregonereality; Aug 26th 2014 at 8:10 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foregonereality
I don't understand why police forces aren't considering the same given the success of the lads and ladies who've made the move in the past.
They just don't need to right now - most forces in Canada currently have enough applications from home grown talent - they simply don't really need to look elsewhere. They might again. I highly doubt Calgary Police Service would hire any more British officers - don't think the Chief would be supportive - he's not a fan!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Hi all,

Just a quick update in relation to Edmonton Police and a POTENTIAL UK recruitment program.

As you all know, I have been working on a plan in relation to a potential UK program and to date, no decision has been made either way. I MAY have some news in the coming weeks, so keep on eye on here, the JOINEPS website or you can email me, my work email address, is already listed above somewhere.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Old Sep 1st 2014, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Tam74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nigel,
Do we have an idea yet of the proposed criteria ? We were gutted earlier this year when hubby couldnt apply for WAPOL with 13 years front line experience !
Old Sep 1st 2014, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Hi Tam74,

Sorry, I don't have any details yet. As I have said, this is all still potential only. Nothing has been decided either way.

Historically, we did not have any strict criteria service wise, so long as you were a serving police officer. We (EPS), did not have a maximum amount of service before you would be ineligible. Will that change? I don't know. My only advice is that we will be looking for excellent leadership skills, with evidence as well as excellent and recent investigative skills. Any program, if it does go ahead, will be highly competitive. Although, we don't have numbers set, I don't think we are looking for large numbers of hires as we (EPS and CPS) have done before.

I will reiterate though, this is still all up in the air.

Nigel
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

jim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody know of updates in relation to this?

Cheers,

Jim
Old Sep 30th 2014, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

ryzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Good evening all.

Update regards to my trip to Canada. I had an excellent time as always out there. My ride along with the CPS and time spent with the officers in stations there was a good learning curve. Keeping it short, it is the same job as it is here, just nicer people in general and better resources. Their Chief supports the boots on the ground 100%. They get time every shift for fitness. Cars, uniform, over time, rest day workings....not a problem in the slightest. If you want/need it, you get it. Team moral is good, and the Public love the CPS....98% satisfaction rate when last surveyed, i was told.

Meeting with recruitment - I got the usual 'we aren't looking to recruit from abroad', which i knew already. However, due to some 'vetting' issues from previous recruitment drives (people getting good references because their home forces wanted to get rid!) they have introduced yet another hurdle....quite a big one to be fair. They will not take anyone who has not lived in Canada for less than 3 years. This three years gives them Canadian sources for references.

On the front line, they are still short. The usual too many jobs and not enough cops. They put through a course of 25 new recruits every other month to keep the numbers steady. But from what i was told, a lot drop out or leave and they aren't getting the rite people for the job.....

Do i still want to move and work out there..? Absolutely.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

stewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant future

400 new officers needed, Edmonton police commission says - Edmonton - CBC News

What this actually means in practice for foreign recruitment over the next few years is hard to say, but assuming the city expands at the predicted rate and the labour market remains as tight as it is now, recruitment from overseas may be an option.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

jacko6686 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, I am currently a serving Police Officer looking (hopefully) to transfer to a Western Canadian Police Service eventually.

Looking at this thread it appears I don't have much of a chance unless EDMONTON police decide they want to look overseas to help get these 400 new officers they may be looking to recruit. Even then I won't be eligible unless they consider the "express entry"scheme.

If I have this correct, the last time any Canadian forces recruited from the UK was 2007. Would anyone be able to tell me the circumstances of why that happened?

I did think of an Australian or New Zealand police but I really fell for Canada when I was based in BATUS a few years ago, so if I can't go to Canada I am really not bothered about going anywhere else.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 1:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacko6686
Looking at this thread it appears I don't have much of a chance unless EDMONTON police decide they want to look overseas to help get these 400 new officers they may be looking to recruit. Even then I won't be eligible unless they consider the "express entry"scheme.
Unlikely that there will be overseas recruitment imo, so have a look at other visa options. There are over 50+ routes to a visa for Canada, and not all of them require a job offer.

Do you have a spouse with skills more in demand? Do you have a specific province you'd want to go to, or would you consider any?

If you post in the Canadian immigration section with more info, then hopefully somebody would be able to suggest a visa route for you.

Good luck.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

foregonereality is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry if I boosted peoples hopes by updating this!

I've been browsing all the latest updates as regards the Express Entry system that's coming in 2015 - I can't help but wonder will Edmonton, amongst other bodies, consider using this expedited system to take in the 200, NOC B experienced police officers? As soon as the system's up I think I'll throw in an 'expression of interest' with CIC and see if one of them might want to talk with me!

In the meantime I hope Nigel is doing his best from the inside
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Canada, but I did leave my police career in the UK to move to the USA. Became a citizen then a police officer again.

No such thing as a transfer. Have to rejoin, start at the bottom and wiggle your way back in and up.

Downside is that between leaving the UK and going through the entire US immigration process, there was a gap of about 9 years before I could become an officer again.

If you hold dual citizenship and could by pass all the immigration route then the process would be a lot quicker, maybe immediately.

Regards.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyleo
a gap of about 9 years
FYI….that was almost 7 years to eventually get my citizenship and 2 years fluffing around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.