Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Old May 22nd 2014, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

It was indeed, takes a while for the stagecoach to reach us here in the Prairies lol

Nige
Old May 24th 2014, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

gigi69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Where on earth have you got that from?! It's utter tosh!

I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding Canadian immigration or just believing what somebody else has told you, but EPS and Tim Hortons don't share some kind of pool of underachieving foreign workers for their applicants.
The "the oil fields are stealing all the workforce" argument is mostly used by the employers paying low wages with no benefits etc., like timmy's and mickey d's, and they are somehow right. Like I said before, I don't hear the same arguments from any other employer paying $100k and above (that's what a police officer in Edmonton brings home in a year, on average), except for EPS. Vancouver is just 1.5 hours away by plane and VPD doesn't seem to have any issues with recruitment, on the contrary.
ps : I finally (it took me a while, I admit) understand why this argument is being used ...
Old May 31st 2014, 10:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gigi69
The "the oil fields are stealing all the workforce" argument is mostly used by the employers paying low wages with no benefits etc., like timmy's and mickey d's, and they are somehow right. Like I said before, I don't hear the same arguments from any other employer paying $100k and above (that's what a police officer in Edmonton brings home in a year, on average), except for EPS. Vancouver is just 1.5 hours away by plane and VPD doesn't seem to have any issues with recruitment, on the contrary.
ps : I finally (it took me a while, I admit) understand why this argument is being used ...
Nope. Your comment about the police force competing with Tim Horton for workers makes no sense to me whatsoever, and your post above hasn't clarified it. I'm still none the wiser!
Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:16 am
Just Joined

mhfoster is an unknown quantity at this point

Gigi, do you have a source for your contention that EPS members `take home' on average $100,00 CAD p/a? To `take home' that money means AFTER tax. At a typical 35-40% tax rate that would mean that EPS members on average gross around, what, 140,000 CAD p/a. Just wondering....
Old Jun 13th 2014, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

stewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant future

Couldn't tell you what 'average' EPS members get or if I constitute a genuine 'source'. But if you're working patrol and have 5 years in, you should be making about CAD$120k pa (+/- 10k). The above estimate for deductions is probably about right, so you can guesstimate the take-home pay fairly accurately.

Recruits make less, traffic members make more... it all depends.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

ronin852 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your having no luck with Canada, there other opportunities out there, depending how desperate you are.
Montserrat are accepting international applications. You got to be under 35 though.

St Helena is too as well as the Falklands
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

ryzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Good evening forum! Sorry for dropping in at the end of this thread, but i have read it with interest! Wanted to say 'hello' as a new member.

I'm in a similar boat to many on here it seems and have wanted to transfer over for a few years now.

My first question if anyone can help......I am planning a trip to Canada this September and wanted to canvas to see if anyone knows which Police Departments would allow me to attend and run with them for a shift or two to see what is really like day to day..?

I have no set plans as to where in Canada i am going to go, but this will be a factor if I can arrange it.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:52 am
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Hi and welcome.

You may get more replies if you start a new thread; 'Canada. Ride along experiences.' for example. That way more people will see what you're asking after rather than it being 'lost' in another thread.

Good luck.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

stewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ryzie

My first question if anyone can help......I am planning a trip to Canada this September and wanted to canvas to see if anyone knows which Police Departments would allow me to attend and run with them for a shift or two to see what is really like day to day..?

I have no set plans as to where in Canada i am going to go, but this will be a factor if I can arrange it.
Don't know about all of them, but the police in Edmonton and Calgary do. You could then include a trip to see the largest easter egg in the world, the magnificent Pysanka, in Vegreville, there's also the Pysanka Festival every July in the town.

The Rockies are also nearby.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Hi again. Thanks for the replies, I will set up the new thread now and see what happens!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Ryzie, are you already a copper? I am assuming you are. I would just walk into any nick out there , introduce yourself show them your badge. Tell them your wanting a ride a long. that would work. It does in the US thats what I did. They are more than happy to have you in their car.providing you sign a waiver saying you wont sue them if you get hurt.

Good luck
Old Jul 9th 2014, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

@ronin852 - Hi ya, yes i'm a serving front line officer. I think i will do just that if i don't get anything confirmed before I go. Just wanted to test the water in advance, will see how i get on. cheers.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

No problem my friend, hope it all works out for you.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 12:21 am
Just Joined

foregonereality is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys. Just curious as to whether there's any news on this?

I've been looking at the CEC website and see that Police Officers are eligible however zero of the 200 places have been allocated. I suppose it's mainly due to police forces refusing non PR applicants. Maybe

CEC list just type in 'police officer'.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

jim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond reputejim2001 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh good find,

Looks like they will be accepting applications from Police from January 2015 only 200 accepted thou.

Can anyone with a bit more knowledge on the subject confirm??

Cheers,

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.