Oz Police

Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:41 am
Just Joined

ben7496 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oz Police

Hi,

I am a 31 year old serving UK Police Officer with 6 years experience. My policing experience is within Neighbourhood Policing, Response Policing, Child Abuse Investigation Policing and most recently Firearms. I also have an advanced Diploma in Emergency Planning.

I am looking to emigrate to Australia with my wife and new born son. My wife is a serving Paramedic Officer with over 12 years experience.

I am willing to travel anywhere in Oz, but suppose my preferences would be Sydney and anywhere on the east coast. I have relatives in Melbourne who are willing to sponsor me.

Can anyone give me advice on whether any Oz Police Forces are recruiting internationally. Also, does anyone have any good contacts that I can speak to in relation to transferring. (I am hoping that this option is still open)

If this option is not open, can anyone outline the process for obtaining citizenship in Oz, how long it would take, cost, whether me, my wife, and son would all have to go through the option or whether it can be just me ?

Any other advice, I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks, in advance,

Ben
Old Oct 16th 2010, 6:35 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all
Default Re: Oz Police

Originally Posted by ben7496
Hi,

I am a 31 year old serving UK Police Officer with 6 years experience. My policing experience is within Neighbourhood Policing, Response Policing, Child Abuse Investigation Policing and most recently Firearms. I also have an advanced Diploma in Emergency Planning.

I am looking to emigrate to Australia with my wife and new born son. My wife is a serving Paramedic Officer with over 12 years experience.

I am willing to travel anywhere in Oz, but suppose my preferences would be Sydney and anywhere on the east coast. I have relatives in Melbourne who are willing to sponsor me.

Can anyone give me advice on whether any Oz Police Forces are recruiting internationally. Also, does anyone have any good contacts that I can speak to in relation to transferring. (I am hoping that this option is still open)

If this option is not open, can anyone outline the process for obtaining citizenship in Oz, how long it would take, cost, whether me, my wife, and son would all have to go through the option or whether it can be just me ?

Many thanks, in advance,

Ben
The simple answer is 'no,' there are no Ozzi police forces conducting overseas recruitment.

If your partner is a paramedic I would suggest her skills are very much in demand, I would be inclined to get in touch with one of the migration lawyers recommended in the 'immigration' section of the Australia forum, outline your circumstances and your partners skills and qualifications, and take it from there. My wife was on the 'demand' list as a nurse, and we got our permanent residency visa within six months. You could also approach NSW and QLD paramedics and see if they are recruiting overseas (I know Qld were not too long ago). But just to make you aware, last time I looked there were no lateral entry courses planned for the QPS.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:33 pm
Live life to the full

treacle1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I have already looked into this and basically go to a emigrate show. This will answer every question you have. Your wife will get in if she is under 42 (she will be snapped up) 176 visa or 175 if your lucky. It should take about a year all to go through. After Oz gives you your PR status the police at the moment take 6-8 months depending on your skills.
Go talk to someone at an emigrate show and good luck, live the dream.

Treacle
Old Oct 20th 2010, 2:10 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ben7496
Hi,

Many thanks, in advance,

Ben
Hi Ben

Having just welcomed you on the Alberta thread, I will give similar advice here. It is well worth your while checking out the Australia forum, where there is a wealth of information on moving to OZ, and many expats who post there who will be more than willing to answer questions.
Good luck

Dread - x