Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:02 am
Just Joined

jenks007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

Dear All,
found a cheap Hotel booking. Goto the London Tourist Board site, under "visit London" loadsa cheap Hotels. We got a good deal £59.00 incl breakfast double en suite at Regent Palace. Sorry Hagey....Will let you know just how "cheap" our booking is when we return. Good Luck. :scared:
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Hagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jenks007
Dear All,
found a cheap Hotel booking. Goto the London Tourist Board site, under "visit London" loadsa cheap Hotels. We got a good deal £59.00 incl breakfast double en suite at Regent Palace. Sorry Hagey....Will let you know just how "cheap" our booking is when we return. Good Luck. :scared:

Well done Jenks. Looks like you could be checking out as we're checking in. Make sure you leave the chocolate on the pillow!
Old Oct 28th 2005, 7:46 am
Just Joined

dot405 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All,
Took your lead booked into the same one, so much for the wifes birthday. I am sure she won t mind. Let us know if we need paper suits or masks or anything. Good luck on the day, and post your views once you get home. Cheers. Mick,
Old Nov 1st 2005, 9:45 am
Just Joined

hiddybiddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

Hiya all
Hope you will all talk to me. I am a wifey!! I thought it was just my husband being cynical about the NZ recruitment but it seems that most of us are more than a little unsure. We go up on the 1 Nov for the interviews etc,. the main concerns are pension and posting. We went to NZ in March, contacted the police recruitment before we went out there and were given names of police R.O's that we could contact while out there. We were amazed to be told by one particular R.O that the 2002 recruitment hadnt really worked out. Loads of UK police had gone home and that they would NOT be doing that kind of recruitment again. Hubby even went into a station in Howick and didnt get past the snotty civvie! Three months after our return we get an email saying the absolute opposite!! DUUUUUURRRRR!!!!
This recruitment campaign is a bit (dare I say) cowboy, they cant answer most of your questions - almost like they havent figured out the answers to some of the most obvious questions. (Perhaps they should refer to the British 5 P's) They come across as arrogant "you know our country is great, so you can get here completely at your cost, etc,.etc " Look forward to hearing from you.....
How did it go? How did you get on with the fitness etc. Do you feel better after having an opportunnity to ask questions and hopefully have them answered?
Was it good that you as a partner went along?
Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi All,
Bin there, Done That, Got the Pen !!!
Today was the most positive I have seen NZ Police, they actually talked to us...All nice guys (but they wouldn't send numpties, would they?). One of them was one of the Brits recruited last time. Bit knackered (also had a few beers) talk more tomorrow, Pete (I'm her hubby!)
Old Nov 1st 2005, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

dot405 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
Today was the most positive I have seen NZ Police, they actually talked to us...All nice guys (but they wouldn't send numpties, would they?). One of them was one of the Brits recruited last time. Bit knackered (also had a few beers) talk more tomorrow, Pete (I'm her hubby!)
Cheers Pete, its a relief that some things are at last positive. Look fwd to your comments. Ps whats the hotel bar like. Oh yes and the run.....Mick.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi All,
Thanks for that, hope you did yourself justice. I am of course hoping you can shed some light - in detail - on what happened. Any no shows. Did you do it in the right time etc etc etc. If you do get a chance to put on a reply I will forward it to another forun that I have been part of since the process began.

Cheers

Steve
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi All, here is the condensed version of my experience at the recruiting day.
The day was run from the High Commissioners Office .
We had 2 "no shows" but this didn't seem to phase anyone and nothing was said about it.
The atmosphere was a relaxed one, the three recruitment officers being very approachable and speaking with everybody on a first name one to one basis.
Although at times I had the feeling that it was an unofficial interview (that's police paranoia for you!!!).
The paperwork was finished off and if you signed the "don't contact my employer bit" then forget it as they will anyway. They need fax No's for HR and PSD :scared: .
Now the scary bit, THE PHYSICAL.
We changed in the gents as no where else was available and did our press ups in the foyer! A point for the girls is that it's full macho type ones which was a shock to some on the day.
We then walked to St James Park, had the route explained on the tourist map and proceeded to push, shove and generally trip over the tourists. I think photos of me looking very pale, wearing a numbered vest and sweating buckets will appear all over Asia pretty soon.
Out of our group 2 got under 10:15, the next 3 (me included) under 11 mins, 3 women under 12 mins and 1 got lost.
We then went back to NZ House for a session in the underground car park. Some very strange jumping thing which involved chalking your hands, stretching above your head and marking the wall then jumping to see if you can reach 48Cm's higher. I said it was strange and to quote the NZ cop "I don't know what this has to do with being a cop, it beats me".
Then after a quick shower and your lunch it was more informal chats then the interview, which was an informal chat again.
We knocked off a bit early and headed home.
We have been told that the groups are about 10 - 12 in size, a group a day Mon to Fri until the end of the month then we expect to hear how we did by the 2nd week in Dec.
What was interesting is that they could have funding to recruit a further 1000 in the not too distant.
They did not answer "Why can't you recruit in NZ ?"
And don't expect a support network over there because they haven't got one !!
The flavour of the day seemed to be WE WANT YOU, DO YOU WANT US ? NOTHING IS PERFECT AND WE AGREE THAT YOU ARE GIVING UP A LOT AND RISKING A LOT BUT IF YOU WANT IT THE OFFER'S THERE.
Also was told that not everyone will be forced into going to Auckland. (like last time). They state what they want and where they want it i.e Uniformed Patrol Gisborne. You then get 3 choices of where you go. This has to be submitted within 1 week of the day or like me you can do it then and there.
I am still very dubious about this as I am finding it hard to believe that they will accommodate our choices when they are struggling to fill gaps in Auckland.
Pension: you are unable to transfer it into a Police scheme but can put it into a bank then withdraw it and do what you want with it. The Police pension scheme is a lump sum when you are knackered and retire type of thing with no regular income.
Some officers from the '02 recruitment have provided their details so that they can tell you what it was like for them.
And finally for those of you asking about The Regents Palace Hotel, there are no rats, no mice and no obvious bed bugs as THE BLOODY NOISE KEEPS THEM ALL AWAY :zzz But the room was very nice, clean and the brekkie was good it is also just around the corner from NZ House which avoids a very very very early start.
Good Luck Jenks . (I said it was condensed, oops)
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi All, here is the condensed version of my experience at the recruiting day.
The day was run from the High Commissioners Office .
We had 2 "no shows" but this didn't seem to phase anyone and nothing was said about it.
The atmosphere was a relaxed one, the three recruitment officers being very approachable and speaking with everybody on a first name one to one basis.
Although at times I had the feeling that it was an unofficial interview (that's police paranoia for you!!!).
The paperwork was finished off and if you signed the "don't contact my employer bit" then forget it as they will anyway. They need fax No's for HR and PSD :scared: .
Now the scary bit, THE PHYSICAL.
We changed in the gents as no where else was available and did our press ups in the foyer! A point for the girls is that it's full macho type ones which was a shock to some on the day.
We then walked to St James Park, had the route explained on the tourist map and proceeded to push, shove and generally trip over the tourists. I think photos of me looking very pale, wearing a numbered vest and sweating buckets will appear all over Asia pretty soon.
Out of our group 2 got under 10:15, the next 3 (me included) under 11 mins, 3 women under 12 mins and 1 got lost.
We then went back to NZ House for a session in the underground car park. Some very strange jumping thing which involved chalking your hands, stretching above your head and marking the wall then jumping to see if you can reach 48Cm's higher. I said it was strange and to quote the NZ cop "I don't know what this has to do with being a cop, it beats me".
Then after a quick shower and your lunch it was more informal chats then the interview, which was an informal chat again.
We knocked off a bit early and headed home.
We have been told that the groups are about 10 - 12 in size, a group a day Mon to Fri until the end of the month then we expect to hear how we did by the 2nd week in Dec.
What was interesting is that they could have funding to recruit a further 1000 in the not too distant.
They did not answer "Why can't you recruit in NZ ?"
And don't expect a support network over there because they haven't got one !!
The flavour of the day seemed to be WE WANT YOU, DO YOU WANT US ? NOTHING IS PERFECT AND WE AGREE THAT YOU ARE GIVING UP A LOT AND RISKING A LOT BUT IF YOU WANT IT THE OFFER'S THERE.
Also was told that not everyone will be forced into going to Auckland. (like last time). They state what they want and where they want it i.e Uniformed Patrol Gisborne. You then get 3 choices of where you go. This has to be submitted within 1 week of the day or like me you can do it then and there.
I am still very dubious about this as I am finding it hard to believe that they will accommodate our choices when they are struggling to fill gaps in Auckland.
Pension: you are unable to transfer it into a Police scheme but can put it into a bank then withdraw it and do what you want with it. The Police pension scheme is a lump sum when you are knackered and retire type of thing with no regular income.
Some officers from the '02 recruitment have provided their details so that they can tell you what it was like for them.
And finally for those of you asking about The Regents Palace Hotel, there are no rats, no mice and no obvious bed bugs as THE BLOODY NOISE KEEPS THEM ALL AWAY :zzz But the room was very nice, clean and the brekkie was good it is also just around the corner from NZ House which avoids a very very very early start.
Good Luck Jenks . (I said it was condensed, oops)
Thanks for that mate. Appreciated. Have posted on the forum I am on. I think it will be well received. Did your partner go and if so was it worth while?

Steve
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Yes she did (wouldn't let me have a night in the smoke on my own ) and we think it helped as it gave the team a chance to talk to both of us to test our commitment.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Chalky is an unknown quantity at this point

Did they say what type of visas they will be giving, and where are the areas they are offering.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

hector212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jenks...
nice one...Now you have done it, it must be a good feeling to have it finished. Thanks for the run down on your day. Tell me did you get to speak with the ex UK cop privately, and were you able to get some honest feed back from him about the transition,or was he towing the party line......

cheers hector212
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Guys, re the Visas : Immigration stated there are 3 options from them :
1. Work to residence Visa
2. Permanent residency
3. Rejection
They said the decision was theirs and would be on a case by case basis but they wouldn't say what would or could sway it one way or the other.
If you look on the Immigration web site it says if you go with a permanent job offer then you can apply for residency but in person they said what I quoted so it still isn't clear . Also you have to pay their exorbitant fees .
The areas open to us are as follows :

Keri Keri
Auckland
Hamilton
Wellington
Wairoa
Gisborne
Tauranga
Greymouth
Queenstown
Oamaru

ONCE IN POST YOU HAVE TO DO 2 YEARS THERE BEFORE MOVING ON, SO CHOOSE WISELY
NO MORE QUESTIONS OR I WILL BE APPLYING FOR A JOB ON THE RECRUITING TEAM .
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Chalky is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, re the Visas : Immigration stated there are 3 options from them :
1. Work to residence Visa
2. Permanent residency
3. Rejection
They said the decision was theirs and would be on a case by case basis but they wouldn't say what would or could sway it one way or the other.
If you look on the Immigration web site it says if you go with a permanent job offer then you can apply for residency but in person they said what I quoted so it still isn't clear . Also you have to pay their exorbitant fees .
The areas open to us are as follows :

Keri Keri
Auckland
Hamilton
Wellington
Wairoa
Gisborne
Tauranga
Greymouth
Queenstown
Oamaru

ONCE IN POST YOU HAVE TO DO 2 YEARS THERE BEFORE MOVING ON, SO CHOOSE WISELY
NO MORE QUESTIONS OR I WILL BE APPLYING FOR A JOB ON THE RECRUITING TEAM .
Thanks for the info i wish you luck
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Hector 212,
I did get to speak with him, he was very honest but he also towed the party line, sorry...but I suppose that's why he's here. If he was going to be too frank they wouldn't have sent him for fear of putting us off (even more).
Missus here, he said to us partners that him and his wife had had a few tears and were definately coming home a couple of times but they have got through that now. Said that it is a kind of mourning process. He has been over here for 5 days now and is already looking forward to getting home. And home is what he called it. He was a sgt in England and has been promoted twice since he arrived he is now a Senior Sgt which is the equiv of Inspector. It appears that although you pay into a pension over there, the general idea for peoples retirement is to invest wisely, say in property and that will be your nest egg, as opposed to relying on your pension.

Oh, this is a bit concerning, but you dont get insurance or anything like that, so if you get killed on duty no pay out.On the other hand if you get hurt/disabled in the job and are capable of still doing something like fly a desk then they will look after you that way as opposed to completely dropping you.

Everybody, if your interviews are all on different days keep asking why they are recruiting from here as opposed to their own. And when you see the immigration woman (possibly a NZ copper herself on 2yr unpaid career brk working for Immigration), Kick up a stink as you do not get bonus points for the police being in an area of extreme shortage. Of course it is extreme shortage they are bloomin well over here desperately trying to recruit us!!!!!

Anyway, off now to find out about education in our chosen locations...
J.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.