Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

New Canada Immigration Rules

New Canada Immigration Rules

Old Mar 21st 2015, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

notbrazil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Canada Immigration Rules

As of January 2015, Canada has changed their immigration rules with the introduction of the Express Entry program. Has anyone researched this? From my brief look at it, Police officer now falls into the 'Skill Type B' category (skilled trades) which appears to be enough to start an application under the new system.

Anyone know any more about this? Would this be a possible route to PR or would a job offer be required (which you won't get without PR). I'm guessing I've misread something somewhere.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

baller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Canada Immigration Rules

No, you read it right. I have been reading here for 2 years now and did enough research on the way to pr. The new express entry is better I think. You need to gain as much points as possible on human capital (max 600 points). You can gain an extra 600 points for provincial nomination or a job offer in a skilled profession.

Immigration Canada selects people out of the express entry pool based on their scores. Today was the first draw that drew people without a job offer. The lowest score was 481. In this aspect it's certainly possible to get PR. I think the best is to get a high score on human capital (age, education, language test and work experience).

You find a lot of information on Canada Immigration - Information on Immigration to Canada and their forum. There is also a score calculator to see what your possible score is.

PS: police officer always was NOC B. In the past they used an occupation list of occupations in demand. Now they only select the people with the highest scores.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

That's interesting. Unfortunately, it looks like I can only make it to about 430 points. Might speak with an immigration expert and see what they think.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

I'm in the same situation but I still have to take the language test. My max without joboffer would be 445 points. Since the last draw was 481 points, I think the scores will drop a little bit further. Draw take place once or twice a month. Patience is a virtue ;-)
Old Mar 28th 2015, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Last draw this weekend was minimum 453 points. Points are slowly decreasing.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Looks like there's hope.