Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Need clarification please.

Need clarification please.

Old Jul 11th 2014, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

michelle782003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Need clarification please.

Hi All.

I think our dreams of moving to Oz are dwindling....

Husband is a police officer and wanting to apply as a police officer there. Just been told that he can't as you have to be a permanent resident. So the only way is for him to leave the force here and do a job over there that could be potentially be sponsored (like a prison officer??).

is this correct?
Thanks
Michelle
Old Jul 11th 2014, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

jonh701 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need clarification please.

Originally Posted by michelle782003
Hi All.

I think our dreams of moving to Oz are dwindling....

Husband is a police officer and wanting to apply as a police officer there. Just been told that he can't as you have to be a permanent resident. So the only way is for him to leave the force here and do a job over there that could be potentially be sponsored (like a prison officer??).

is this correct?
Thanks
Michelle
To date it is only WAPOL and Victoria that have recruited from UK without PR or citizenship. Basically they sponsor you and take you on enabling you to move over to OZ permanently.

Victoria have not done so for years and WA are currently going through the current recruitment that started in March this year. Its a waiting game unfortunately. No other force out there will take you without PR im afraid
Old Jul 11th 2014, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

South Australia police even. Not Victoria 😁
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you.
Nightmare few days. Spoken to three separate MARA registered advisors, and all told me different things, hence the clarification. Had visions of this nor being possible at all unless I retrained in my skill set currently on the CSOL list and that would be a minimum of two years.
At least we know. We shall look daily on all the police websites. Cheers
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

It will only be SAPOL or WAPOL. more likely WA at the moment. Just have to hope they open the doors again. They are looking to increase numbers so who knows. I wouldn't be shocked if they did again. Best of luck 😊
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

One agent told me today that it's good to start the process as they can approach the forces first re international applicants before its announced via the websites. Thinking that was a scam to get me to pay the money! Ha
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly can't see any of the other Police Services beyond SA and WA sponsoring - they don't need to, as they have enough onshore candidates. WAPOL are the most likely I reckon but there's no guarantee there as they've just done two big overseas drives..
Just Joined

And said they've successfully placed people like this...sounded dodgy
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michelle782003
One agent told me today that it's good to start the process as they can approach the forces first re international applicants before its announced via the websites. Thinking that was a scam to get me to pay the money! Ha
Its tosh. Even if they get wind of a recruitment campaign happening, they can't put you forward until its open and then you'd take your chances with everyone else. No agent can pull strings to get you in , its down to the Service concered.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

They were trying to get your money clearly. As i said in the previous post, i was looking at the site almost daily before the last drive. I checked the day before and it said they were not planning any recruitment for 2014. 24 hours later they were saying recruitment was open. They will not tell a soul until it is open and they have so many apply that they can be as choosy as they like. No one can influence who they decide to take on. I hope for your sake it opens up again soon 😊

If you don't mind me asking what is your skill that is part of the CSOL?
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Quality assurance manager. But would have to top that up to a degree.
8 years prior to that j was a mental health nurse. So as it's so long ago I couldn't use that either. Left the role due to wanting to be more at home with children.
Thinking of re qualifying some day.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Could I be nosey and ask about the recruitment. Apart from tests etc, you went to WA for an interview or do they do that here? And you applied for your visa as soon as they opened up the recruitment drive?
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:52 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

The whole of the international recruitment is done here in the UK. Outside of that, if you are eligible to apply you have to travel to Perth at your own expense for the testing.

I feel for you Michelle. From reading your posts, it seems to me that you may have to play the long game, getting retraining or re qualifications which will enhance your prospects.
We put our plans on hold for 12 months while my wife retrained, as the job she had been doing didn't have an exact equivalent in Oz meaning low employability.

Good luck.

Last edited by Pincher; Jul 11th 2014 at 7:55 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute

From WAPOL the official response is that there is no current international recruitment for 2015 until the WA Government makes the decision to do so.

In other words until they decide to recruit again they can only respond as above - you need to check their site daily until they open up recruitment ( if they do again).

I hope that helps cheers John
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

notbrazil is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also playing the waiting game for WAPOL to open up again. SAPOL last recruited from the UK years ago - and I think you had to travel to Adelaide for the testing. I'd personally be quite happy to travel as it would undoubtedly thin out the application pool and leave the ones who are genuinely serious about making the move.

Michelle, you mentioned that your other half had considered the Prison service? Do they sponsor international applicants? I'd considered the Prison service here in the UK before joining the Police, and I suppose I could be persuaded if it provided an alternative route to PR.