Life with WAPOL anyone?

Old Nov 19th 2012, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life with WAPOL anyone?

Originally Posted by jonnyfurious
Arh right cheers.

So whats Currambine like?
Yeah, Currambine is pretty good, like most of the nearby suburbs around here. No more than a five minute drive to the beach, central Joondalup and the academy. I'ts also a bit more affordable housing wise compared to some adjoining suburbs.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:14 am
Just Joined

smokiejam is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a spot where most cops would live while at academy?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyfurious is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Currambine sounds like a good option.

My interview and physical is a week tomorrow!
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smokiejam
Is there a spot where most cops would live while at academy?
Any of the surrounding suburbs would be suitable, or somewhere close to the train line would do. But plan as far ahead as you can with regard to a rental, as they can be hard to come by these days
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Will do thanks.

Right I've been trying to get my head round the costs of living and if I'll be better or worse off financially.

It's just me and the misses. I'll be on around $67k, I'm not sure what nurses earn but I'd hope to get a combined before tax income of $100k

Any ideas what this would be after tax and other deductions please?
I've had a look but I can't find any firm information in what the income tax rate is and what other deductions there are?

I'm calculating that for living in a reasonable place $800 - 1000 dollars a week would cover rent and all household bills. Which between us doesn't seem all that bad?

Thanks
Old Nov 20th 2012, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Will do thanks.

Right I've been trying to get my head round the costs of living and if I'll be better or worse off financially.

It's just me and the misses. I'll be on around $67k, I'm not sure what nurses earn but I'd hope to get a combined before tax income of $100k

I've had a look but I can't find any firm information in what the income tax rate is and what other deductions there are?

I'm calculating that for living in a reasonable place $800 - 1000 dollars a week would cover rent and all household bills. Which between us doesn't seem all that bad?

Thanks
After a little more looking I've worked out that after tax and Medicare Levy I'll be taking home $1010 p/wk or $4376 p/mth which would leave us whatever the OH earns to live on and pay for transport etc
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:15 am
Just Joined

PMac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I'm new to the website and have found your thread very interesting. I'm basically in the same position, am based in a UK Force and am looking to join an Australian one. I have been on the WAPOL webiste and it appears that the international recruitment campaign has ended?. Is this the only way in for someone from the UK or can we go down the lateral entry option?. Has anyone any idea when this is likely to restart?. Would I be eligible to apply since I am not an Australian citizen nor do I have permanent residency??. Also are WAPOL the only Australian Force taking UK Police?.

Sorry for 101 questions but this is definitely something I have been been interested in doing for a very long time. Any advice greatly appreiated.

Many thanks,

Paul
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMac
Hello,

I'm new to the website and have found your thread very interesting. I'm basically in the same position, am based in a UK Force and am looking to join an Australian one. I have been on the WAPOL webiste and it appears that the international recruitment campaign has ended?. Is this the only way in for someone from the UK or can we go down the lateral entry option?. Has anyone any idea when this is likely to restart?. Would I be eligible to apply since I am not an Australian citizen nor do I have permanent residency??. Also are WAPOL the only Australian Force taking UK Police?.

Sorry for 101 questions but this is definitely something I have been been interested in doing for a very long time. Any advice greatly appreiated.

Many thanks,

Paul
Hey Paul,

WAPol and SAPol have been recruiting on and off from the UK for a number of years and I don't see any reason why this would stop. With that in mind, I would just keep a look out on their websites for when they intend to open the doors again.
You do need PR to be a cop over here, so maybe you could look at other options (partners employment etc) if the above forces are not currently recruiting.

Of course, if you are able to get your PR by some other route, you'd not be limited to applying for WAPol and SAPol either.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Will do thanks.

Thanks
Mate, if both you and your partner are working, you will be alright financially. If your partner is a nurse, get her to have a look at the Ramsey Health Website. They run the Joondalup Health Campus, which is currently undergoing a large expansion, which is due for completion early next year. I'm led to believe that they will be recruiting a large number of nurses as a result.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

PMac is an unknown quantity at this point

Geordiebloke,

Cheers for the info. In relation to PR, I take it I can only apply for that if I have been living in Australia for a certain period of time?. Or is is something you can actually apply for before you come out ? (or is that a silly question?). Have been on the WAPOL website and it says international recruitment has stopped for the time being?. It mention 'lateral entry' from other Police Forces?...but I take that only applies to other Australian forces?.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Mate, if both you and your partner are working, you will be alright financially. If your partner is a nurse, get her to have a look at the Ramsey Health Website. They run the Joondalup Health Campus, which is currently undergoing a large expansion, which is due for completion early next year. I'm led to believe that they will be recruiting a large number of nurses as a result.
Nice one cheers - I'll pass that onto her.

I calculated we'd have just over $1800 a week to live on. Can anyone offer any estimate on how much gas/elec/water/council tax?!?/broadband. Will be please?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMac
Geordiebloke,

Cheers for the info. In relation to PR, I take it I can only apply for that if I have been living in Australia for a certain period of time?. Or is is something you can actually apply for before you come out ? (or is that a silly question?). Have been on the WAPOL website and it says international recruitment has stopped for the time being?. It mention 'lateral entry' from other Police Forces?...but I take that only applies to other Australian forces?.
You can get PR a number of ways, such as being sponsored by an employer i.e. when WAPol/SAPol are doing their international recruitment. Or you can go the independent route, where you can qualify if you have enough points and a profession which is in demand.
A lot of people come over on a temporary visa initially, then apply for PR later on.
I'm not sure of all the ins and outs re all these options, as I got PR through employer sponsorship.
Have a look in the Australia immigration forum, there's loads of relevant advice in there.
Lateral entry is for anyone who has previous policing experience, you just need to have PR in place already
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nice one cheers - I'll pass that onto her.

I calculated we'd have just over $1800 a week to live on. Can anyone offer any estimate on how much gas/elec/water/council tax?!?/broadband. Will be please?
Mate, have a look on the main Australia forum, for an idea of what you'll be spending on stuff, loads of threads on this topic. Of course everybody will have different expenditure, but to give you an idea on the things you listed above, we spend about $250 per quarter on gas, about the same every 2 months on electric, not sure about water because we pay at the same time as the rates/council tax, then we get a further small bill which covers usage.Council tax is about $1300 per year (I think) and broadband is $50 per month.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Cheers for the info on bills etc - I'm slowly getting a full understanding of how much things will cost.

Well I passed the physical ) I was surprised how hard it was - of the six of us three failed.
I felt the interview went pretty well too - just have to wait until January to find out.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Arrow Re: Life with WAPOL anyone?

Cheers for the info on bills etc - I'm slowly getting a full understanding of how much things will cost.

Well I passed the physical ) I was surprised how hard it was - of the six of us three failed.
I felt the interview went pretty well too - just have to wait until January to find out.
Keep us posted on how you go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.