life after "pc"....?

Old May 1st 2005, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

crocoonimper is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking life after "pc"....?

We are hoping to get out to Oz in March next year on my visa (nurse). Hubby is a PC with 12 years in from age 19. At present plan is for me to be the main wage earner initially and he will look after the kids until he finds some kind of work. He is taking a 5 year career break.
Has anyone else given up policing in the UK to emigrate - what sort of work have you been able to get? It is our main(and his) main concern about the move. Any advice gratefully recieved !
Old May 4th 2005, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

submersiblesid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: life after "pc"....?

I left the UK in 2003 after 15 years of UK Policing.
The safest way to leave the fuzz back home is to apply for a career break with your home force. Most forces now encourage career breaks, as they figure they'll lose less quality officers by allowing them upto 5 years off. Some return some don't.
If you secure a five year career break, then you have options should you ever want to return to the UK. :
Consider joining the Australian Police. I'm pretty sure that once you've secured residency you can apply locally.
Good luck
Old May 4th 2005, 5:23 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by submersiblesid
I left the UK in 2003 after 15 years of UK Policing.
The safest way to leave the fuzz back home is to apply for a career break with your home force. Most forces now encourage career breaks, as they figure they'll lose less quality officers by allowing them upto 5 years off. Some return some don't.
If you secure a five year career break, then you have options should you ever want to return to the UK. :
Consider joining the Australian Police. I'm pretty sure that once you've secured residency you can apply locally.
Good luck

Hope you don't mind me barging in here but my hubby is looking to join Queensland police . If successful would he be able to take a 'career break' from his force or would he have to officially resign. It would just be a more secure way of keeping our options open
Carolyn
Old May 5th 2005, 3:36 pm
KJT
Forum Regular

KJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really nice

I spoke to someone in my force about career breaks, I was told that I was not supposed to take paid employment durint a break.

Anyway, if things dont work out, I dont think an experienced Officer with a good record will have any problem at all walking back into a job with almost any force.

KJT
Old May 5th 2005, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NAC
Hope you don't mind me barging in here but my hubby is looking to join Queensland police . If successful would he be able to take a 'career break' from his force or would he have to officially resign. It would just be a more secure way of keeping our options open
Carolyn
I've just returned from a visit to WA and Qsld. Queensland police DO require you to have resigned before you commence work with them. But You can go through the selection process and wait till you have a firm job offer before resigning.

Hope this helps.
Old May 5th 2005, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

crocoonimper is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: life after "pc"....?

Hi
Hubby has already applied for an official career break so we can keep options open, and the smallprint stipulates that he cannot work as a policeman or in any related field ie security etc. But we are not sure what he CAN do is our quandary. We looked into retraining in NSW where we want to be, (if he resigned) but decided against it until we are more sure about staying for ever.

According to the updated version of the force career break guidance he can work or study part time in an unrelated field, we just dont know in what!

Just for info, the benefit of a career break for us means that if we do come back, hubby retains his rent allowance - vv helpful!!

Last edited by crocoonimper; May 5th 2005 at 8:26 pm. Reason: add text
Old May 6th 2005, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

submersiblesid is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: life after "pc"....?

you might want to speak very nicely to your hubby's force. my career break initially said that i couldn't work elsewhere as a bobby too. I'm now working in Bermuda as a cop and managed to convince my home service that my experience of a new environment, as a minority, blah, blah would be beneficial to my home service on my return ! :scared:
it all depends how you word it because there is a provision to release you on a career break to serve overseas as a cop. i'm living proof !
hope this helps
Old May 17th 2005, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Rippo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi crocoonimper,

I am in the same position as your husband. Both me and my hubbie are police officers at the moment - I too have 12 years in. My husband has been accepted to work for SAPol starting at police academy in Adelaide on 20th July 2005.

I am in the process of applying for a career break. When we go over I will initially not be working as I have to find somewhere to live and settle kids in. I have NO intention of joining the SAPol myself. I was thinking of a complete change of career, something which I would enjoy. I plan to surf through the local jobs and see what's about. I personally fancy being involved in real estate, as this is something that I have a real interest in.

Why doesn't he think about doing the same. Keep a completely open mind and see what's about. What are his hobbies and interests?

I know of a PS who went on his wife's nursing visa to NZ last year. He started working for a real estate company, and within 1 year he is now the manager, working his own hours and earns more than his wife!

Good luck,

Ann