Joining Edmonton Police

Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Amanda782 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joining Edmonton Police

Hi,

My husband and I are hoping to move to Canada in the near future, and he is a serving police officer in the UK.

He is a little concerned that although he is serving in the UK, his qualifications will not be adequate to get him into the EPS. He is educated to GCSE level - can anyone tell me if that is sufficient?

Thanks a lot x
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Joining Edmonton Police

The education must meet the requirements of grade 12 high school which I understand is the final compulsory year (they require 100 points to obtain a diploma).

My view is that IQAS will look at your GSCE results and effectively convert them into points so see if they equal a diploma. I too am in the process of applying and I am educated to GCSE level - just waiting for the IQAS results now so hopefully it’s all ok.

Any serving EPS members here who can comment on their previous education?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Amanda782 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! Fingers crossed then
Old Sep 30th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Joining Edmonton Police

hello,
i have recently been accepted for Calgary Police, and i believe that GCSE levels will be sufficient to be accepted. obviously any service within Police will count as more 'relevant' to your job so should be fine!
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Dom B is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Amanda, if you look on the below thread entitled Edmonton Police Service there is a load of info about Edmonton and one lad states how is CSE's were enough.. It really is a helpful thread. Loads of dead useful info about all sorts on there. I'm going over to Edmonton next week to see if me and the mrs like it and to hand deliver my application so will update you with our findings...

Dom
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dom B
Hi Amanda, if you look on the below thread entitled Edmonton Police Service there is a load of info about Edmonton and one lad states how is CSE's were enough.. It really is a helpful thread. Loads of dead useful info about all sorts on there. I'm going over to Edmonton next week to see if me and the mrs like it and to hand deliver my application so will update you with our findings...

Dom
Enjoy your time over in Edmonton, i look forward to your views as my application is in the processing stage
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

It's a mystery ! GCSE level should be adequate and others have gone on to say that it is.

[Just to stir things up, when you read the threads about bringing teenagers over here and putting them in school, those who are 16 yrs old and have taken their UK GCSE's are usually told this would be approx equivalent to a Grade 11 student in Canada - so technically one year ahead of their Canadian peers who would be 17 yrs old. The UK student then completes Grade 12 here - so one more year of studying, in order to graduate. So you would deduce that a Canadian High School graduate has the equivalent of GCSE's plus a bit more !? So the British student could graduate at 17, a year ahead of his new peers 'cos the GCSE counted for more but is not seen as quite enough to finish school here.]

Maybe it's your grades that prove all-important...
Old Oct 5th 2008, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Barksgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband had his qualifications assessed, he has CSE's plus two years at Tech College, he was told he was Grade 11 equivalent. He asked Edmonton recruitment if they would accept this and they said no, has to be Grade 12, so he applied to Calgary instead.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hey, just back fresh from my trip to edmonton, loads of info to follow, but from the horses mouth so to speak (sorry if steve from recruitment is reading this i don't think you're a horse ha ha) but the cops dont actually care what grades you have. You just have to get the grade 12 equivellent from IQAS. Apparently, if your school grades aren't the best or if you dont have certificates etc apparently there are things that the IQAS people can do to certify you meet grade 12 standard. I have heard of an instance when a dude didn't have any certificates, that he was able to sit an exam so that IQAS could say that he met grade 12. This would have to be arranged with IQAS as it is nothing to do with the Police, they just need to see the IQAS certificate that shows you meet grade 12.

Hope this clears stuff up.

I've submitted 8 GCSE's with 5 C grades and am missing a certificate with another "c" so if mine dont cut it i'll get the certificate and if not see what other options are available. By the way Edmonton is ACE, will post more when i have more time.. But i see no reason why not to move there!

Caio for now
Dom
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thats excellent news - i too submitted 8 GCSEs with 5 a-c's so i hope that counts! IQAS sent me a letter stating they have my grades and that i should hear in about 6-10 weeks. Im just so worried that its not going to hit grade 12

I would love to hear all of your experiences when you have time.

Ashley
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

I'm worried too, but like i say, apparently there are things that IQAS can maybe do to show that you meet grade 12. I'm told that a phone call should do the trick if needs be?? Might be a ball ache but i'll do anything to get there. Failing that, maybe a course or summat in the short term.?! I have 10GCSE's in total, but as i say, i dont have a certificate that has 2 further grades on.

Fingers crossed eh?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Whatever it takes - ill let you know the second i hear back from IQAS, if you could do the same it would be awsome.

I take it after talking to Steve you have to be grade 12 not like CPS where they dont seem to mention it?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

One would hope that two year's police probation would count towards something - you study enough law in there for an A level !!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Yes you have to be grade 12. Like i say thats where the info about IQAS came from that it may not be the end of the world... If you don't get a 12 initially EPS aren't bothered as long as you can get the certificate saying you are equal to one...

I agree anne, shame they don't issue certificates to say that you are a qualified Police Officer eh? Thats the only thing IQAS go off, your certificates...
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dom B
I agree anne, shame they don't issue certificates to say that you are a qualified Police Officer eh? Thats the only thing IQAS go off, your certificates...
Although i just found mine! A certificate confirming me in the rank of Constable after the initial training and 2 years of probabtion with 6 seperate exams. Im going speak to IQAS and get that faxed over, hopefully that will help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.