EDMONTON POLICE SERVICE

Old Sep 28th 2008, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EDMONTON POLICE SERVICE

[QUOTE=julieanne72;6827371]My husband is in the process of applying for EPS but does anyone know whether you can start working immediately in Canada if you go over as immediate family/whether citizenship for the whole family is automatic ? The website for EPS doesn't make it terribly clear./QUOTE]

Hi Julie

I am presuming your husband has applied through the Provincial Nominee Programme (PNP)?

Not sure how far along you are with all the paperwork, but he will include all his family members on his application forms (the immigration stuff - not the EPS stuff) - and at the end of the process, you will all have a Permanent Residence Visa. So you can work straight away - and your kids can enrol for school at no cost to you. So when you arrive here you will be called a "Landed Immigrant" and you will have "Permanent Residency".

Citizenship is something different and you would need to be living in Canada for something like just over three years to qualify for that.

Hope that helps
Old Sep 28th 2008, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

julieanne72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ann,
That takes one worry away from me...now how best to find a job once we get over there...
Cheers
Julie
Old Sep 28th 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by julieanne72
Thanks Ann,
That takes one worry away from me...now how best to find a job once we get over there...
Cheers
Julie
Julie,

Mind if i ask how far along in the process your other half is?

Ashley
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

PeteTorres is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys and girls. I'm currently applying to Edmonton Police also. I was wondering if you wouldnt mind answering me a quick question.
How in depth did you go for the questions on your history? I.e the question "have you ever stole" I mean when I was about 10 years old I stole from my parents but as a Police Officer, those days are well behind me! I just don't want to get caught out on the polygraph test as lying etc.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dom B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PeteTorres
Hey guys and girls. I'm currently applying to Edmonton Police also. I was wondering if you wouldnt mind answering me a quick question.
How in depth did you go for the questions on your history? I.e the question "have you ever stole" I mean when I was about 10 years old I stole from my parents but as a Police Officer, those days are well behind me! I just don't want to get caught out on the polygraph test as lying etc.
Hi mate, i've just been out to Edmonton and had a good chat with steve from recruitment. I think they are asking - have you ever stole!? So in answer to your question, if it was 10 years ago then just say YES! Explain and there's no chance of you getting caught out on the polygraph! I've only just applied but wanted to see the place first and they told me that as long as you're HONEST they can deal with anything you write on the form.. Think its all about the honesty and integrity side! They are aware that no one is perfect and just want you to be straight! Not like here when they want you to be whiter than white, so everyone pretends to be eh?..

A lad i know who's just got in calgary also said that they only asked a few questions on polygraph and not all 70? Maybe some of the others can say whether this is right or not??

Hope this helps mate
Dom

P.s Love your spanish name!! Hope its real and you're not latching on to some dirty red fake icon ha ha ha! did i just say that out loud? Ooops! ha ha
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Dom B thanks for the reply. That helps me alot! I'm hearing you on the whiter than white thing over here...it's an absolute joke that some people are actually in the job in the UK!
How far along in your application are you then if you don't mind me asking? I would also like to know how long the whole process takes roughly. I'd guess at maybe around 10 months to a year but I can't seem to find a solid answer anywhere.
What were your thoughts/opinions on Edmonton when you visited? Any areas you'd suggest avoiding for living etc?

Sorry for the mountain of questions.

Pete

(P.S Did your comment on my surname suggest you've visited Old Trafford a time or two???)
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PeteTorres
Dom B thanks for the reply. That helps me alot! I'm hearing you on the whiter than white thing over here...it's an absolute joke that some people are actually in the job in the UK!
How far along in your application are you then if you don't mind me asking? I would also like to know how long the whole process takes roughly. I'd guess at maybe around 10 months to a year but I can't seem to find a solid answer anywhere.
What were your thoughts/opinions on Edmonton when you visited? Any areas you'd suggest avoiding for living etc?

Sorry for the mountain of questions.

Pete

(P.S Did your comment on my surname suggest you've visited Old Trafford a time or two???)
Only a lot but had to give it up cos its too dear ha ha! all in jest of course!...well....?

No problems on the Q's fella, thats what we're all here for innit? To learn?

Right, Mine has just gone in and awaiting IQAS, which takes between 8 - 10 weeks! I'll hopefully hear something soon from EPS saying that if all goes well with my IQAS it may be march (ish) to go and do exams etc out there! This is what i was told from recruitment while there, so it may change depending on volume of applicants... I was told that if i went in march and passed everything i'd get a job offer pretty quick, but then there would be a wait while they processed the visa and because so many people are going there (in general not just cops) apparently that's where the back log is, with immigration. I was told that once i had a job offer it may be 8 - 10 months til i got i visa! I suppose, if you want a solid answer to aim at 12 - 18 months and then any better is a bonus!?

I loved Edmonton when i visited, it has everything that a top English city has. I did a bit of a report when i got back on another thread = http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=564265&page=2
But i really loved the place, so did the Mrs which is a winner as it's her who is worried about leaving family! We stayed downtown with a mate of mine from school which was great! Sure, there;s a bad area near the bus station, but i didn;t see anything to worry me (Looking at it as a Cop)!

I don't know about places to avoid, but certainly places to look at are the west, south and south west of Edmonton. We had a drive round these places looking at "whether we could see ourselves living there" and they have some gorgeous estates and lovely houses, at good prices! If you google "comfree" and search to buy a house and select any of these areas you;ll see what you can get for your money! I've not looked into mortgages etc yet and am still working on how much it would be in english £'s but for £200k you can get a VERY nice place! In what i thought was a Gorgeous area...

From what the peeps on here have said, St Albert is supposed to be nice. I didn;t manage to get out there and i was told it's a little far away, but i'm sure the others will put that right. Sherwood park was also mentioned a lot while i was there, but again we didn't go so can't really say!

All in all i found the entire place a very friendly place with polite people, who actually seemed to respect the Police!

Hope this gives you a bit more, but if you wanna know more, feel free to ask
Dom
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks again Dom.
Out of curiosity, did you ask the recruitment guy about whether we can do multiple stages in one go? Or do we have to fly out to Canada for each stage process?

Will have a read of your Edmonton review.

Pete
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

LisaandSteve is on a distinguished road

Hey Pete
My other half is pretty much at the same stage as Dom, only he already has his IQAS done and sent with his application.

They do the assessments in one go so you woud be out there for a week and do one each day, if you don't pass then you don't move forward to the next day...well that's how I understand it anyway....I'll ask Steve when he gets in..

Lisa x x

P.S St Albert is a lovely place...we have friends who live there and stayed with them we were out there, very nice place!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dom B

P.s Love your spanish name!! Hope its real and you're not latching on to some dirty red fake icon ha ha ha! did i just say that out loud? Ooops! ha ha
Behave yourself Dom. Where are you in the league again?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dannyg1001
Behave yourself Dom. Where are you in the league again?
Not too sure will have to check.... oh yeah! Not gettin beat 4-1 off spurs last time i looked - kerching! Right back at ya fella x
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dom B
Not too sure will have to check.... oh yeah! Not gettin beat 4-1 off spurs last time i looked - kerching! Right back at ya fella x
Dom any news from IQAS yet? I just spoke to them to confirm they recived my additional police certificates and she said it should all be done in around 2 weeks.

Fingers crossed!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ashleyg
Dom any news from IQAS yet? I just spoke to them to confirm they recived my additional police certificates and she said it should all be done in around 2 weeks.

Fingers crossed!
Hi mate, 2 weeks eh? nice one! Dont forget to let me know how you get on...
Bearing in mind i posted it while i was in EDMONTON and we flew back on the 19th October, i got a letter saying they received it on the 3rd November... and it'll take 8-10 weeks! Oh well, least they got it eh?

You heard owt from EPS??

Last edited by Dom B; Nov 13th 2008 at 6:59 pm. Reason: extra info added
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

No nothing more from EPS - my eye exam results are due 22ish december so they are waiting till then.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Cool, well like i say, let me know as soon as you hear anything fella!

Has any one else got any further like shane (who started this off) or anyone else got any updates on how they're getting on? It's be great to hear if you have...

Dom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.