Edmonton Police Service

Old Sep 23rd 2005, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Ratty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Edmonton Police Service

Anyone else here applied for Edmonton Canada after their recent ad in PR??

I've been called forward for written tests in October.

If anyone has been through this already I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

I've got a horrible feeling that we have to do the full recruit training programme and go in at the bottom of the payscales.

If thats the case I probably won't be able to do it.

After 14years in the Police in the UK I don't know if I could stick 35weeks of training school again.

Thanks
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

sariecooke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Edmonton Police Service

Originally Posted by Ratty
Anyone else here applied for Edmonton Canada after their recent ad in PR??

I've been called forward for written tests in October.

If anyone has been through this already I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

I've got a horrible feeling that we have to do the full recruit training programme and go in at the bottom of the payscales.

If thats the case I probably won't be able to do it.

After 14years in the Police in the UK I don't know if I could stick 35weeks of training school again.

Thanks
I have applied, however i think there is a catch, basically you only do the entrance exam over here the full process requires a fewtrips to canada to complete everything.

Also get practising the fitness test is bloody hard!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

The test doesn't look like a whole lot of fun, but its given me an excuse to get back in training !!

The chins are the hardest bit I think ... went out and bought a chin-bar today. It was like something from Full Metal Jacket !! I AM Pvt Pyle !

I'm not so worried about having to travel out for the testing, just what the training would entail.

Also, reading between the lines, it appears we enter at recruit level on the payscale.

While the cost of living is much cheaper, I'm not sure I could manage on that.

Have to wait and see I suppose.

I'm going to the emigtaion seminars at Sandown on the 7th as well.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

The test doesn't look like a whole lot of fun, but its given me an excuse to get back in training !!

The chins are the hardest bit I think ... went out and bought a chin-bar today. It was like something from Full Metal Jacket !! I AM Pvt Pyle !

I'm not so worried about having to travel out for the testing, just what the training would entail.

Also, reading between the lines, it appears we enter at recruit level on the payscale.

While the cost of living is much cheaper, I'm not sure I could manage on that.

Have to wait and see I suppose.

I'm going to the emigtaion seminars at Sandown on the 7th as well.
Did you have a call from EPS yet they sound very keen to bring us across...
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

A phone call? No. Have you?

My crewmate is applying as well, he hasn't either.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

skipscore is an unknown quantity at this point

A phone call? No. Have you?

My crewmate is applying as well, he hasn't either.
Hi,

Where did Edmonton advertise and are they still recruiting at the moment ???
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

It was in Police Review last week.

try here ...

http://www.joineps.ca/

I don't know what sort of response they've had.

Might be worth dropping them a line
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

It was in Police Review last week.

try here ...

http://www.joineps.ca/

I don't know what sort of response they've had.

Might be worth dropping them a line

Many thanks
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by skipscore
Many thanks
I had a call from a guy (ex Hampshire 10yrs) basically just having a chat about my background etc and booked up dates in London.

I was told that about 340 people had booked to go to the tests in London and Birmingham.

I was also told that the skys the limit in regards to how many they people theywill take, they simply cant fill the quota of officers they need locally.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sariecooke
I had a call from a guy (ex Hampshire 10yrs) basically just having a chat about my background etc and booked up dates in London.

I was told that about 340 people had booked to go to the tests in London and Birmingham.

I was also told that the skys the limit in regards to how many they people theywill take, they simply cant fill the quota of officers they need locally.
Very interesting...I've just e mailed one of the guys on their recruiment page who has recently transferred there.It'd be interesting to see what he has to say about the police there and whether the grass really is greener !!!
Old Sep 25th 2005, 4:31 am
Just Joined

BJP999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Edmonton Police Service

I too have applied and will be attending the info session and exam in B'ham. I emailed the EPS recruitment gal with a couple of questions and heres her reply:

"The Information Session will cover immigration issues (we are part of the Provincial Nominee Program to help speed up immigration), the different stages of the hiring process. There will be a short presentation/lecture and then open for questions. No, I don’t believe your current pension is transferable. No you are not eligible to start at a higher wage.

You will be writing the APCAT and WCT only. If successful, you must submit a complete application package and then travel to Canada will be required to complete the Selection Process.

Yes, I have been swamped with emails and registrations"

I wasn't too happy about our pensions not being transferable or having to wage drop down to 18 grand either! But I suppose you have to weigh up the pros and cons. House prices seem really good in and around Edmonton though and of course the cost of living is cheaper. Although the wages apparently go up £2,500 each year which aint too bad!!

We will be completing the following two tests which takes 1 and 2 hours respectively.

Written Communication Test (WCT) example

Alberta Police Cognitive Abilities Test (APCAT) example

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Wonder if we will have to complete the full recruit training programme or have a tailor made programme like the New Zealand transferees did ?

At 36 years old and with 14years in and a young family, I don't know if I could manage the full programme.

Suppose I'll find out at the info evening.

Cheers for the info.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 11:57 am
Just Joined

kirmatt is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an ex-colleague who is in Edmonton Police and he is one of the email people on the Edmonton website. Geoff Hood is his name and he is a very approachable fella.

Have been in contact with him recently and he confirms that it is the best choice, career and lifestyle wise, he has ever made. From memory, he had a fairly high service with MPS and was quite happy to start over again. So I wouldn't put yourself in the old dog new tricks basket.

If you have equity from here, I think you will find the perceived drop in salary more than bearable.

Any way, drop him a line - he is a good man.

Good luck to you all

Kirmatt
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

bobhope is on a distinguished road

Well having done all the testing in Canada it is hard. The physical needs preperation as most seem to fail! You have to do full recruit training. At the mo you do start on the recruit salary BUT they are thinking of paying us more because of previous experiance. In fact Calgary and others all pay the enhanced salary! If you are doing your written tests then make sure when it says double space your ans DO IT!!!! You will fail the paper otherwise. You wont get the results until they mark them in Canada.
Edmonton is a fab city, housing is cheaper, bit cold in winter but sunny with it!
Oh yes and it takes an age for the application to be processed.
They are offering PNP positions for immigration which speeds up immigration no end, but not sure how many spots they have, otherwise the normal process takes about 2 to 3 years! GOOD LUCK.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

BJP999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobhope
Well having done all the testing in Canada it is hard. The physical needs preperation as most seem to fail! You have to do full recruit training. At the mo you do start on the recruit salary BUT they are thinking of paying us more because of previous experiance. In fact Calgary and others all pay the enhanced salary! If you are doing your written tests then make sure when it says double space your ans DO IT!!!! You will fail the paper otherwise. You wont get the results until they mark them in Canada.
Edmonton is a fab city, housing is cheaper, bit cold in winter but sunny with it!
Oh yes and it takes an age for the application to be processed.
They are offering PNP positions for immigration which speeds up immigration no end, but not sure how many spots they have, otherwise the normal process takes about 2 to 3 years! GOOD LUCK.
Did you manage to do the whole of the recruitment process in one trip to Canada and over how many days was it spread out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.