Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

The CPS - What's it like?

The CPS - What's it like?

Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

d2801 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The CPS - What's it like?

Originally Posted by minihaha
The rental market in Calgary is crazy at the moment, so finding a place is not easy. If we had the room I would put british cops up, but that is not the case (house full with two crazy kids)!! What I would advise is to talk to the Calgary Police assosciation (contact via your CPS recruiter). There are several adverts placed by cps members around the district offices with rooms to rent. This would be the best place to start. there are some rental suites available, but check the areas. Most that I have seen on the open market are in very "dodgy" areas. I'll check work out tonight and see if I can find you some contacts for this.
I'm a newbie on the forums, I'm a erving Met officer and have been given my offer of employment from the CPS. I have been given a PNP placement and my federal forms are now sat at the high commission awaiting a decision.

My query is, having looked at so many communities my wife and I are drawn to the SW region of Calgary.

Can anyone give experienced info on this part of Calgary. Mostly interested in the areas not to live/go ie DODGY ones.

I look forward to some replies
Cheers for now Dave
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

NSingh is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm, I like everything except SE calgary, forest lawn etc isnt a very good place to live. NE on the other hand contrary to popular belief is great, my fav part of the city! We're like a big family down here haha, if you want to look around the north part of the city PM me and ill show you around.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nickola
Hi there Ali

Would it be OK if I PM'd you regarding loads of questions I have about moving a family of 5 across the pond to a new, fantastic life in Calgary ???

N
I left Hants Police this Summer and froze my UK pension and started a special forces one here..You can transfer your UK pension to investment funds here..

Poster BobHope did it and it didnt take that long to do..
Old Dec 10th 2007, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by High numbers
This is the best thread / information I have seen on CPS.

My question is that I am considering moving from the UK to Alberta and I am looking for a job. I am currently an Investigation Officer with Customs and wonder if that is a good starting point for CPS or would I just be the same as a novice?

Could I even apply as I am not a UK Police Officer?

Thanks
One of the lads on the current EPS recruit training class is a former customs and excise employee and magsitrate. But the downside is that he was not given credit for his experience as it was not with the UK Police, so he started on the bottom rung of the payscale whcih was a blow as they dealt him false info..
Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

d2801 is an unknown quantity at this point

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to make life easier, what is the flat rate take home pay (per month or bi weekly) for 2nd class constable?

It'll be nice to work out disposable income etc.
Cheers Dave
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Dave - I've responded on the other thread - HTH