Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

The CPS - What's it like?

The CPS - What's it like?

Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:38 pm

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking The CPS - What's it like?

I've been working downtown Calgary (district 1) for the last four weeks and I have to say that my first impression is "why didn't I apply sooner!" The Calgary Police Service is by no means perfect, but they have a positive attitude to Policing, very proactive, excellent support for us out there on the streets. I worked for five years as a cop in York, North Yorkshire, and the CPS is far superior. No surprises there!

You can be as busy as you want to be, all jobs are self governing (apart from the obvious "police assistance" or "major incident" jobs) All work comes in over the on-board computer and are dictated to you by area. District 1 is divided into 5 sub areas. You are assigned to a sub area, but basically you go anywhere in your district. Crappy jobs such as theft of Mars bar (no offender, no CCTV etc) are dealt with very quickly. None of this pointless investigation into a undetectable offence.

You land on jobs so easy downtown, from stolen vehicles, to running the numerous crack heads in the downtown core. I have found that from the start of my shift to the end, I am constantly working, but busy on real Police work, not spending 60% of my shift duplicating paperwork like back in the UK.

The Canadians I work with are all great lads, very friendly and a good laugh. I have found everyone to be supportive and welcoming of my previous experience. Working the streets for the CPS is definitely a positive experience.

The training: Six months is a long, long time. All I would advise anyone about to embark on the training is to suck up your ego, be prepared on lessons on Pocket note books, basic criminal law and how to write a ticket. No time is spent on interviewing or investigation (this is all cover post basic training). What I advise is that you come prepared to learn in a structured and regimented environment. You will only get out of it what you put in. I enjoyed my training. I found all the learning centre staff to be informed, motivated and professional. But remember, the training is aimed at the Police novice, no experience. So it can become a bit tiresome.

The hard skills training is awesome. The best part of training (and a substantial part of it), use of force, firearms, taser, rapid intervention, driving. All brilliant, I learnt so much that it really put my UK training to shame.

Physical fitness: Running. Make sure you can run, lots of running, weights etc. Nothing impossible, but your life in training and after will be a lot easier if you come physically prepared. So get running, hills, sprints, distance. Vary your training, get a good cardio level and don't forget upper body strength. Injuries happen in training, but this can be avoided by ensuring you are already practicing a good physical regiment. Lose the excess weight from the midnight kebab stands and shift work and you should do okay! :scared:

Application procedure: So long ago now, find it hard to remember what you need! Obvious advice, Polygraph - tell the truth. Interview, come prepared with good examples of previous experience. Pare test - running again. With the written application, just ensure you have everything ready at the UK end, references, first aid certificates etc. This was the only delay in my application, the crappy administration back in England losing forms etc.

I hope this answers some questions for all those applying to the CPS (or Edmonton). I will try and answer any questions anyone has, or find out the answers if I don't know. To end this essay, if you are applying, good luck and I hope to see you on the streets soon!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The CPS - What's it like?

Good post - thank you !

Duly noted, and working on it !

Ditto the bit about the training feeling like a long time - our friend found this to be 'tiresome' too - but like you say - stick at it - stay positive - it's not the end of the world (perhaps easier said that done when you're knackered, or fed up and you've just got to run up one more hill !! )
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:04 pm
and Twitchy

Nickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura about

Good info thanks
I just had the good news that I will be starting in January 2007.
I cant wait to leave Gwent police behind. Im on a go slow at the moment.
Just wish our house would sell so we could all come over together.
Looks like I will be coming over on my own with the wife and family to follow.

Would you have any info on rooms to let for a short while????
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nickola
Good info thanks
I just had the good news that I will be starting in January 2007.
I cant wait to leave Gwent police behind. Im on a go slow at the moment.
Just wish our house would sell so we could all come over together.
Looks like I will be coming over on my own with the wife and family to follow.

Would you have any info on rooms to let for a short while????
The rental market in Calgary is crazy at the moment, so finding a place is not easy. If we had the room I would put british cops up, but that is not the case (house full with two crazy kids)!! What I would advise is to talk to the Calgary Police assosciation (contact via your CPS recruiter). There are several adverts placed by cps members around the district offices with rooms to rent. This would be the best place to start. there are some rental suites available, but check the areas. Most that I have seen on the open market are in very "dodgy" areas. I'll check work out tonight and see if I can find you some contacts for this.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 5:34 pm
and Twitchy

Nickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura about

Hi
What area of Calgary are you living??
Old Sep 12th 2006, 10:41 pm

Hi
What area of Calgary are you living??

Hi. We are renting in Douglasdale at the mo hoping to buy next summer.

Is your wife looking foward to the big move over? Hope you dont mind me asking but it can be very daunting moving to a completely new country while supporting hubby and settling the kiddies. I know how tough it can be at times and any thing your wife would like to know please dont hesitate to get in touch.

Ali
Old Sep 17th 2006, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

dastardlydutch1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi !

Great advice !

We are two bobbies from the West Mids and in the early stages of the recruitment process with CPS, under the PNP. Once you received the job offer from CPS how long did the immigration process take and was there much assistance with this?
Kindest regards.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:24 am

Cool Re: The CPS - What's it like?

It took me from time of submission of application to start date about 9 months. But this was last year, before the CPS implemented it's recruitment drive in the UK. When I applied the recruitment unit was going through some changes. Generally, they would sit on a application and never treat it with any degree of urgency. I have been informed that this is no longer the case. The recruitment unit have been tasked with speeding up the application process, so if your paperwork is in order, and you can get all the tests passed and out of the way, this could be down to about four months (maybe less).

I applied when I had already landed as a permanent resident, so I don't know how quick the CPS can get you through the nightmare of getting a visa. What I have read on other sites is that the promise of a job (especially with a Police service) does hurry the whole process up.

What I would advise is to nag. Never take the first answer. This is not a CPS thing, but a Canadian thing, they like to take there sweet time over everything. If you keep in constant contact with recruitment, then I guarantee this will only speed the whole process up.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:27 am

My wife has just told me it takes six months on average for PNP. Also she has told me not to use colours in the text because it looks daft....
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:12 pm
and Twitchy

I applied to CPS in April 06, completed the testing in July 06 and had an offer of employment in September 06 to start the recruit class in Jan 07. Cant wait.

All I have to complete is the medical.

What kind of med. is it, is it a comprehensive one???
Or just checking if arms and legs are in the right places and your alive?

I also was in possession of PR status so cant really comment on how long the PNP process takes.

I'm sure that they are going to be overwhelmed with applications so I guess the process might be slow.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:56 am

straight forward medical, sight, hearing, cough and drop... just like the UK.

I applied to CPS in April 06, completed the testing in July 06 and had an offer of employment in September 06 to start the recruit class in Jan 07. Cant wait.

All I have to complete is the medical.

What kind of med. is it, is it a comprehensive one???
Or just checking if arms and legs are in the right places and your alive?

I also was in possession of PR status so cant really comment on how long the PNP process takes.

I'm sure that they are going to be overwhelmed with applications so I guess the process might be slow.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:51 pm
and Twitchy

Hi
Sent off my confirmation of employment letter today. I have a start date of January8th....

I have been trying to find out the best way of sorting my police pension out, but gwent haven't been that helpful surprise surprise.
What have you done with your police pension??? Hope you don't mind me asking.

Cheers
Andrew
Old Sep 25th 2006, 4:47 pm
and Twitchy

Originally Posted by minihaha
Hi. We are renting in Douglasdale at the mo hoping to buy next summer.

Is your wife looking foward to the big move over? Hope you dont mind me asking but it can be very daunting moving to a completely new country while supporting hubby and settling the kiddies. I know how tough it can be at times and any thing your wife would like to know please dont hesitate to get in touch.

Ali
Hi there Ali

Would it be OK if I PM'd you regarding loads of questions I have about moving a family of 5 across the pond to a new, fantastic life in Calgary ???

N
Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:57 pm

Hi there Ali

Would it be OK if I PM'd you regarding loads of questions I have about moving a family of 5 across the pond to a new, fantastic life in Calgary ???

N

Of Course it would. I am stay at home Mum to our 5 and 2 year old monkees so any help I can be feel free to ask away no probs.

Ali
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

ctcrm will become famous soon enoughctcrm will become famous soon enough
Question Re: The CPS - What's it like?

Hello, first post so here we go.

Im a UK cop with just over 2 years in, still love it but rapidly loosing all faith in anything british at the moment.

Canada is my first choice with CPS being the top of that.

As i understand they are not recruiting unless you have 3+years in what are the chances of them still recruiting next year or after ??

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.