Career Breaks

Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Career Breaks

Hi all,

Is there anyone on this site, who does or did work for the Met - who has managed to get a career break and then pursue their police career somewhere else in the world ?

General opinion is that one would need to formally resign, but I would love to find someone who managed to wangle a career break, ie, someone who has set a precedent ... then there might not be the grounds to refuse a new request !

Still not sure however, at the other end, if we would need to prove that we had formally resigned before commencing a new career with Calgary Police? Possibly someone could answer that also?

Cheers
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:57 pm
and Twitchy

Nickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Career Breaks

Hi
I'm from Gwent police.
I applied for a career break but was turned down, even after two other officers had successfully applied for and was granted a career break. They went to Ottawa police and one to South Australia police.
So the precedence does not apply to Gwent at least.
I'm applying for Calgary police and I am quite away through the process. I have completed all the tests and interviews and are just waiting for a decision.

The feeling I got from them [Calgary] is that they would 'rather ' you resign than apply for a career break. But that is only my opinion. Anyway there should be no problem in resigning, its far better over there why on earth would you want to come back......pension isn't everything. I have 22yrs pension and its not bothering me.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Noted - thank you - that's the problem with our employers - no consistency !
I know Surrey have recently approved several career breaks for officers going overseas. I guess they have nothing to lose - the police force that is, I guess they figure that, statistically, they might get a few coming back !?

We would have no problem with handing in resignations - it's just that old sensible bit of me that wants to have a 'what if ... ' scenario covered (and I'm not thinking ' what if we don't like it' but more along the lines 'what if one of us popped our clogs/got run over by an SUV/eaten by a bear' !?). We are selling up here, lock, stock and barrel, and are going for it whole heartedly but I figure if we can get the career break, then why not. It's just as easy to hand in resignations from afar at a later stage!

So back to the question - any MetPol in similar situation?
Old Aug 1st 2006, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

chrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the rough

Hi

not only depends on yr force but on the force yr going to as the career break issue. Have u checked out ************.com websit?

Old Aug 1st 2006, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

chrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the rough

Mmmmm doesn't seem to like that PM me and I'll try and put it another way!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:32 am
Banned

fabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nice

Originally Posted by ann m
Noted - thank you - that's the problem with our employers - no consistency !
I know Surrey have recently approved several career breaks for officers going overseas. I guess they have nothing to lose - the police force that is, I guess they figure that, statistically, they might get a few coming back !?

We would have no problem with handing in resignations - it's just that old sensible bit of me that wants to have a 'what if ... ' scenario covered (and I'm not thinking ' what if we don't like it' but more along the lines 'what if one of us popped our clogs/got run over by an SUV/eaten by a bear' !?). We are selling up here, lock, stock and barrel, and are going for it whole heartedly but I figure if we can get the career break, then why not. It's just as easy to hand in resignations from afar at a later stage!

So back to the question - any MetPol in similar situation?
You can't go into full time paied employment on a career break with the Met. Read the small print. You HAVE to resign.
Either that or make up some cock and bull story about going overseas on a humanity mission in East Timor.
Only be prepared for when Calgary write to you personnel office for a reference! :scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you.

Thought so !!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ann m
Thank you.

Thought so !!
Hi, I took a career break from the MET and came over to Qld, when I applied for the break it was with a cock and bull storey, I then applied to Qld Police and have been in nearly 4 yrs now. My 5 year career break came to an end and I had to resign, I believe they started closing the stable doors after many took career breaks and found other employment. Whilst at Qld Training there were at least 6 other UK officers also on career breaks and a couple who were refused career breaks from their respective forces.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Off to Oz soon and am taking a 5 year career break. I must not do any other paid work... how would they know if I do some odd jobs though?
I am raising our family at the moment but do hope to join NSW police except they have an odd sytem of doing a degree first?!
However a colleage of mine from same nick as me went to WA on a career break and the bosses knew.