Canada advice

Old Apr 19th 2017, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

KentCop83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada advice

Hi all,
Been dreaming about a move to Canada for a while now.
My wife and I are both serving Police officers in Kent with 11 years in the job.
I have distant cousins living in Ontario and yukon ( don't know if that helps)
I know there is no direct entry route anymore but i have learned that the express entry pool selection score has dropped to around 415 and the number of applicants accepted monthly has doubled since december. Now seems like a good time to get the ball rolling.
I did a quick calculation and I think my score will be about 430-450. I speak pretty good French which helps.
So.....can any one give me a check list of what I need to do. The cic website is bit confusing.
I know i have to do the tef and ielts tests and fill out an online application but....
How long does it take to get selected?
Once you get pr status how long do you have to get landed
Can i get pr status but stay in uk til I find a recruiting force and get accepted?
What is an average cop salary?
Where do i look first?!

Many thanks

Bill
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Canada advice

Hi Bill,

I can't answer your immigration questions, except for once you have been granted PR, then you can activate it by simply landing in Canada. If you chose to return to the UK, then you have to be aware of the rules surrounding the amount of days you can leave Canada for, before your PR MAY expire.

As regards to police services, most will hire based on holding PR. Some have a few more rules, so you will have to check with those services. For Calgary Police in Alberta, they want you to have PR for 3 years prior to applying. For RCMP, you can now hold PR, but have to have held it for 5 years.

Edmonton Police (my service), just require PR. So, I guess it really depends where in Canada you want to be.

I move here from North Wales (NWP) nearly 7 years ago now.

Nigel
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Nige,
I'm pretty confident we can get PR status. Ots just knowing who to apply for. I was thinking maybe Ontario Provincial Police as o think my chances would be better with a larger force.
My wife likes the idea of Newfoundland for some reason.
So I'd like some info on mortgages house prices n stuff. We own a 3 bed semi worth around 350 with about 120 in equity. On two cops salary how much would be comfortable mortgage wise for a house?
Also I've heard you have to pay for your initial training yourself which is concerning.
Also what is the training programme like? What is the pass rate and how difficult is the application process. Sorry for all the questions!
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Again, it depends where in Canada you are moving to, mortgage wise. Average house prices vary from city to city, with the East coast being generally cheaper. In relation to training, a lot of services in Canada do need to you either to attend a college, at your own expense or contribute to training. I can only speak to the Alberta services, like Edmonton, where training is paid by the service.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope your dream of moving to Canada comes true.
Canada is a very diverse country. Like the UK north south divide we too have rich and poor provinces. So visit the areas where you plan to settle.
I moved from UK to Greater Toronto area which is like London (UK) in size and feel.

Good luck and hope you make it.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 10:28 am
Just Joined

jgibbo83 is an unknown quantity at this point

All the best mate, I'm starting the Policing Degree in September (if accepted) and with that my family and I would have enough points to apply for PR in Canada. That's where we see ourselves too, keep us updated how your getting on!!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 12:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KentCop83
I know i have to do the tef and ielts tests and fill out an online application but....
You'll also need your ECA. Those are the only mandatory things (well, the TEF isn't mandatory, but if you want the points for your French then it is).

How long does it take to get selected?
Bill
Depends on your points. If you do score 430-450 then you can expect to be selected quite quickly, so maybe a month or so after applying and you should have an ITA.

Once you get pr status how long do you have to get landed
1 year from the date of your medical (which is done after you get an ITA).

Can i get pr status but stay in uk til I find a recruiting force and get accepted?
Yes, as long as you've 'landed' to activate PR within the deadline and then meet the residency obligation (2 years out of every 5 in Canada).

So first step is to double check your points score, between 430-450 is a pretty wide band so before spending £800 or so on your ECA, IELTS etc, I'd check you will definitely be scoring enough. You can assume max points for IELTS as native speakers, for your TEF then I don't know what level you are, but if it helps you calculate your probably points then 'basic' level is said to be A Level standard.

Best thing to do is stick to this forum for any policing related queries, but pop over to the Canadian immi section of the forum for any visa/EE related questions.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jgibbo83
All the best mate, I'm starting the Policing Degree in September (if accepted) and with that my family and I would have enough points to apply for PR in Canada. That's where we see ourselves too, keep us updated how your getting on!!
So what extra points does that give you then?
I already did the foundation degree in policing when I joined.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 8:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So what extra points does that give you then?
I already did the foundation degree in policing when I joined.
A degree will give either 112 points (with a spouse) or 120 points (without a spouse). Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry

Assuming your foundation degree would give you 84 points, then there's no need for you to do anything extra if you are scoring 430 or above. Once you've got your ECA then you'd know exactly what points it will give you but hopefully it will be deemed post-secondary (academic rather than vocational).

HTH.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

bielbs is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband joined Calgary police 8 years ago - theres no cost for the training - you get paid a salary whilst training - when he joined they had done an international recruitment drive, so sorted out PR, this has now stopped - now you need your PR to apply, not sure how long you need to have it for. With over time and bank holidays his salary is around $110,000 -

A decent house, you are looking at a minimum of $450,000 - lots of Calgary cops don't live in Calgary, they tend to live in smaller towns such as Cochrane and Airdrie.

Unemployment rate on the east coast is high - so I wold imagine locals would get first pick at police jobs in Newfoundland and other such areas.

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 15th 2017, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Clint2112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Me and my young family have dreamt of moving to Canada and I've been reading some replies on this. I currently work for the met police but I know the international transfer drive has closed I was looking at the Edmonton police application and you just need PR i just wanted to know if I was to do a first aid and CPR course in the UK will it be OK for my application or would I need to do it in Canada? And for testing would I have to fly out to Edmonton or can it be done in the Canadian embassy in the UK? Also is there just any general advice on moving over and wanting to go for the police force there?

Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2017, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

So... I noticed on the express entry pages that one of the categories is for commissioned police officers. Does that mean inspector or above or all police officers. I've recently been promoted to Sgt so wondering if a quick jump to inspector might be needed.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Met Michael is an unknown quantity at this point

So... I noticed on the express entry pages that one of the categories is for commissioned police officers. Does that mean inspector or above or all police officers. I've recently been promoted to Sgt so wondering if a quick jump to inspector might be needed.
Hi skip,

I read the same list but if you carry on scrolling all the way down it does eventually say "Police Officers (non-commissioned)". I'm a PC with the Met so that was a relief! Have you managed to get any further with how the application process works? I'm considering Ontario Provincial Police, I too have distant second cousins and a great Aunt, no idea if they are close enough to sponsor me though.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 3:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

To clarify, *all* police officers qualify for EE (and always have), there's not a separate category for them. If you're scoring enough, then you can get PR as a police officer is one of thousands of eligible jobs.

Originally Posted by Met Michael
Hi skip,

I read the same list but if you carry on scrolling all the way down it does eventually say "Police Officers (non-commissioned)". I'm a PC with the Met so that was a relief! Have you managed to get any further with how the application process works? I'm considering Ontario Provincial Police, I too have distant second cousins and a great Aunt, no idea if they are close enough to sponsor me though.
Nope, afraid not. Even an Aunt & first cousins wouldn't be able to sponsor you. So first check to see if you would get PR as a FSW under EE, then once you've got PR you can move and apply to Ontario police.

Good luck to both of you.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 24th 2017 at 3:04 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Funny enough the new head of opp training is a Kent inspector who is now there as a civvy. No idea how he got the job lucky sod. Good copper too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.