Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Calgary recruitment slowing down .....

Calgary recruitment slowing down .....

Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calgary recruitment slowing down .....

.... for Brits ??

I hear on reasonably good authority that the recent CPS 'grab a Brit' recruitment drive has gone pretty well, and that they will be looking at cutting back on actively seeking experienced officers from the UK - and be concentrating their efforts on enticing Canadian recruits.

The CPS are pretty much up to strength now, or will be shortly - and the natural wastage that is forecast through retirement, etc, in the immediate future is looking to be filled by 'local' candidates ....

Now, I still await the 'rumour control' to confirm this - but allegedly, anyone with an application in before 1st March will still be processed in the normal way. Any other applications received from here on, will be evaluated as usual then added to a 'pending' file.

So whether that means they will slow down or cease the PNP route in the near future, I do not know ....

Food for thought, if you are still 'thinking' ... all is not lost - but it may not be an 18-month journey anymore ....

Personally, I wonder how well a considerable number of Brits have eased into their system. Too many might become an 'issue' for the rank and file methinks
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:34 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary recruitment slowing down .....

Originally Posted by ann m
.... for Brits ??

Personally, I wonder how well a considerable number of Brits have eased into their system. Too many might become an 'issue' for the rank and file methinks
very well put. clearly an issue for some when the 'Recruit' not only knows far more than them, but is also far better at what they do routinely as well.

comment to my trainer a few days ago, 'hey, how come all of a sudden you are arresting all these people' did not go down well.

comment from detective when asked to conduct post arrest interview 'why doesn't your recruit do it. he's the expert'

having said that, speaking to someone from recruiting recently, no plans from EPS to stop accepting applications via PNP for rest of year to his knowledge.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

scuffer999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ann, hi everyone,
this is my first posting here. Unfortunately I fear what you are saying is right after reading an online web page about CPS recruiting figures only a couple of days ago. I sent my first app off only a few days ago so I'm not holding my breath or getting my hopes up. But who knows?

See below for the article.

Cheers, Steve.

Calgary Herald
Published: Wednesday, March 12, 2008
A streamlined recruit training process launched this week will allow the Calgary Police Service to graduate 45 more officers this year than last, officials announced.

Recruits who started Monday will be the first to go through training in 20 weeks versus the six-month process that was standard until now. The change will allow police to train 225 officers this year, compared with 180 in 2007.

Trainees will still receive the same amount of instruction, but instead of training eight hours a day, five days a week, they will now train 10 hours a day, four days a week.

"The changes will not only enable us to meet our capacity targets, but they will allow the service to get our new recruits hired and out onto the street more effectively and efficiently," Insp. Roger Chaffin said in a statement.

The Calgary Police Service recently announced it had hired enough sworn officers to fill all 1,660 positions in its ranks -- the first time it has reached its authorized strength in more than two years.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:08 pm
kws
Just Joined

kws has a spectacular aura aboutkws has a spectacular aura aboutkws has a spectacular aura about

To all,

I spoke to somebody in recruiting today and it would appear that the overseas recruiting drive is going to end. last date for applications is 1st April. They do have something like 200 applications in the pipeline so it may be a lengthy process. The new chief is keen on getting canadians to fill the shortages and not to rely on Brits. With the relative slow down in the oil fields, they have had a lot of interest, so feel confident they can recruit from within Alberta.

Best of luck all,