Calgary Police

Old May 9th 2007, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

cosie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calgary Police

Can anyone help with this query? We are going over for testing (husband is being tested, i'm doing research), at the end of this month and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the most useful things they found to do on a research trip? Have contact with a realtor and have arranged to look around different towns / communities and housing. Has anyone been to look around schools on research trips? If so what seems to be the accepted procedure - arrange before we go or arrange when there? We have two school aged kids, (6 & 8) and also I am a teacher so looking at potentially continuing my career in Canadian system as well.
thanks to all those who have already volunteered help, much appreciated.
Sarah.
Old May 10th 2007, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah - me again - I seem to butt in with everyone ! hello !

We went and looked at a couple of schools when were over researching in December. I already knew we were keen on Cochrane so I just looked up the schools on t'internet, and emailed them. One replied, and one didn't. I made an appointment with the one, and we just turned up at the other ! Both were fine, very accommodating and gave us the tour. Both were good - and as this was our first time through the doors of a Canadian school, it was equally a learning exercise for us as well as us actually scrutising the school ! Different ethos generally - you will ask more pertinent questions being a teacher probably - but we found that whilst the academics are still important, they are not the be-all-and-end-all of the school's life. Huge importance was placed on the child's well-being and social skills. I was pleased with this different slant - but it's hard to remove our English obsessiveness about good schools ! Just remember it really is not an issue with Canadians - your kids go to the school where you live, full stop !

And we found that our girls - aged 7 and 9 - were very much put at ease by looking around a 'real life' Canadian school - not so scary afterall. If you don't know where you might settle, just stick a pin in a map ! and pick out a couple in an area, I'll plump for Okotoks as that is where most seem to go, and contact Dr Gibson's school for a tour ... just as an example - it will give you a starting point !

Try a search on this site under 'teaching in Alberta' - and you will get many responses - that may help guide you on following your profession - not easy by all accounts, but achievable ....

Very good luck - and enjoy ! Ann
Old May 11th 2007, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

cosie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ann,
Thanks for reply. It's good to get advice from someone who has been through process! Will definitely look up the school suggested. Nice to hear the Canadians are more concerned with 'whole' child rather than just what they can achieve! We have two weeks left before we fly over to Canada for testing etc. Have everything crossed!
Sarah.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

talb999 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Nickola
Hi all

Just started with CPS in the 5th week of a 25 week training course. The class is a good mix, and there are several ex brit bobbies of varying experience in two classes. I have 15 yrs service with Gwent police.
The only down side to it is that I wish as a service they would recognise experience and fast track us through training.

I can say even at this early stage that we have definately made the right move, the lifestyle is great, far better than that of the UK. The CPS seem to be far better at looking after their staff than my old mob. We have just moved into our own house after 2 months in rented.

On the drive to work I have a view of the rockies all the way, what could be better than that.

Word of warning....house prices are going up all the time and are on par with that of the UK now. Everything else is about the same, cars are a lot cheaper and so is petrol.

If anyone has any questions or wants any advice I would be pleased to help out, as I people helpd me out when I was going through the system.

Look forward to hearing from anyone.
Andrew
Nik and Andy.

Can you assist with cost of living?

I really need to know about general months bills from gas to phone to car insurance.. etc...the more the merrier.

Also if you dont mind, tell me what your gross yearly is (what class constable are you on?) and what is your take home pay.?

Any figures would really help me.

Cheers.
Old May 19th 2007, 4:45 am
and Twitchy

Nickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura about

Hello there

We find that things are not that much cheaper than in the UK, except for fuel, car prices and house prices. But in saying that the cost of housing is going up all the time.
We live in Okotoks, just south of Calgary. Its a little cheaper than the city and its a lovely town.

If you start with CPS an have more than 5yrs previous police experience you will start on class 1 pay. At the moment its 72,000 dollars wihich works out at around 1,800 dollars a fortnight.
Mortgage are roughly the same as the UK. you can get a fixed rate of 4.9% at the mo.
Gas-$100
electric $100
cable(phone/internet/tv)-$150
Car insurance (2cars jeep+a sporty thing) $1400 pa

Groceries are no different from the UK. We ended up buying all new furnature and I would say its a little cheaper. Electrical items are a lot cheaper.

If your coming for testing just make sure you do your reasearch into the testing and interview so your well prepared. If you have a decent fitness level you will be ok with the PARE but be prepared for the altitude to knock the wind out of your sails.

Good luck
Andrew
Old May 21st 2007, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

talb999 is on a distinguished road

Hi, everyone

My husband is coming for testing in October this year, we've had lots of info regarding the financial aspects which has helped a great deal, now it's just the settling we're concerned about, we have two wonderful daughters aged 9 and 7 and I am presently at college studying for my access to teaching, hopefully this will be able to be converted when completed so I can attend Calgary University. We are all very close to my parents and will miss them terribly, how have you all ajusted to Canadian life?, homesickness? etc...
and most ex pats comment on how friendly everyone is..is that true?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Trudi x
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

h_mank351 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Just thought i'd give an update on our recent trip to Calgary.

Well we are finally over the jet lag and back to work tomorrow which is a real pain but hey never mind. We flew back to Gatwick on Friday and arrived to some serious rain, made it all the more difficult being we left Calgary in glorious 26 degree heat and blue sky.

We were there for 12 days in total and had a fantastic time. We stayed at Ed and Wendy Donald's house in Gleneagles in Cochrane. What a place! we rented their basement 2 bedroom both on suite with living and kitchen area and it backs onto the 18th green at Gleneagles golf course. I would highly recommend this place if you are looking for somewhere to stay. Brilliant people very welcoming and we cant wait to go back and see them as well as staying there !

We did all the sites Banff, Lake Loiuse etc didn't quite get to Jasper but had to leave something for when we get back there. What a site Lake Louise is i had seen it on postcards but it took my breath away.

We met up with Julie and Ed Parry. Julie has been mentioned on this forum before as a great realtor. What can i say superb is the word. Julie is very knowledgable on all aspects of buying and she showed us many houses both in Cochrane and Okotoks which is two places where we wanted to look to buy. I would highly recommend Julie if you are looking for a honest realtor who cuts through all the */%$ and lets you know all the facts up front. We found some lovely houses and now are waiting for a buyer for our house so we can go back asap and buy that dream home.

Mrs Ger has put some great details on Cochrane already on this site so i won't go into that. We are totally hooked with Calgary, the OH fell in love with the place. Just got to wait for the medicals now like so many in front of us.

I hooked up with Ed Parry for a ride along. Ed works on District 1 Downtown and i did a half night shift 6pm - 2am with him and his partner.
I found it to be a very relaxed working environment everyone very professional. It's the second ride along for me now and i would say its well worth doing to get a feel for the job, definetly different than back home policing - far better in my opinion. Ed's a great bloke and i thank him for showing me around and looking after me for the shift.

We are planning to go back in November to purchase the house and set up bank accounts and do all the things necessary for the move over.

Good luck to everyone in front of me in the queue and to all those slightly behind. Fingers crossed we will be out there soon.

All the best

Manny
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by h_mank351
Hi all,

Well we are finally over the jet lag and back to work tomorrow which is a real pain but hey never mind. We flew back to Gatwick on Friday and arrived to some serious rain, made it all the more difficult being we left Calgary in glorious 26 degree heat and blue sky.

We were there for 12 days in total and had a fantastic time. We stayed at Ed and Wendy Donald's house in Gleneagles in Cochrane. What a place! we rented their basement 2 bedroom both on suite with living and kitchen area and it backs onto the 18th green at Gleneagles golf course. I would highly recommend this place if you are looking for somewhere to stay. Brilliant people very welcoming and we cant wait to go back and see them as well as staying there !

We did all the sites Banff, Lake Loiuse etc didn't quite get to Jasper but had to leave something for when we get back there. What a site Lake Louise is i had seen it on postcards but it took my breath away.

We met up with Julie and Ed Parry. Julie has been mentioned on this forum before as a great realtor. What can i say superb is the word. Julie is very knowledgable on all aspects of buying and she showed us many houses both in Cochrane and Okotoks which is two places where we wanted to look to buy. I would highly recommend Julie if you are looking for a honest realtor who cuts through all the */%$ and lets you know all the facts up front. We found some lovely houses and now are waiting for a buyer for our house so we can go back asap and buy that dream home.

Mrs Ger has put some great details on Cochrane already on this site so i won't go into that. We are totally hooked with Calgary, the OH fell in love with the place. Just got to wait for the medicals now like so many in front of us.

I hooked up with Ed Parry for a ride along. Ed works on District 1 Downtown and i did a half night shift 6pm - 2am with him and his partner.
I found it to be a very relaxed working environment everyone very professional. It's the second ride along for me now and i would say its well worth doing to get a feel for the job, definetly different than back home policing - far better in my opinion. Ed's a great bloke and i thank him for showing me around and looking after me for the shift.

We are planning to go back in November to purchase the house and set up bank accounts and do all the things necessary for the move over.

Good luck to everyone in front of me in the queue and to all those slightly behind. Fingers crossed we will be out there soon.

All the best

Manny
WOW! Thanks very much for the recommendation and to all my other clients who have promoted my services on this site (type Julie Parry into search to view), it is very much appreciated.
To all those who are thinking of making the move over the pond to this fantastic city of Calgary (or the surrounding towns), because we have been in the same situation as yourselves, I know how important it is to you, to receive accurate, helpful advice on all aspects of setting up your new life in Canada. I understand how Real Estate works in both countries and can make the transition as smooth as possible making sure that at all stages of the house buying process are explained fully to you. I work hard to find people their dream home in the location that best suits their family situation.
Once we have found your dream home I can then assist you with setting up your new life as there is lots to do. With my help this will be done as quickly and efficiently as possible. My clients are given discount vouchers to quality furniture and electrical stores to help to put less stress on the wallet!!
If you are coming out on a research trip then I can show you the homes that meet your requirements and also email you any new ones as they come onto the market. I can also provide you with details of available short term accommodation.
If you would like me to email you a list of all the complimentary services that I offer my clients, please do not hesitate to contact me.
My husband works downtown for the CPS and is happy to answer any questions that you may have.
Please feel free to pm me
Take care
Julie Parry
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:29 pm
Painting r own Rainbow

WelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to all

Hi all.
Firstly Happy New Year to everyone.
Im in the process of going through the CPS recruitment drive. Im off to Calgary middle of Feb for further tests. The reason for the post was to mention CPS again and get people talking about Calgary.... come on everyone... i want to hear everyones stories who's out there and whos trying ! like me.
Luv to hear from everyone involved in the whole process.

All the best and good luck to everyone.

Mark
I've just sent off the application forms and am waiting with baited breath to see if I have passed at least that stage.

We have made the decision to mover no matter what.

i have 11 years experience with Gwent police
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

TinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond repute

Having been planning a move to Canada for a couple of years now we have spent many an hour scouring the various realtor web sites that service the area we were hoping to settle in. Many provided much hilarity, no doubt unintentionally. The photo make over shots anyone ?!
Then after the laughs you wade if not drown in the usual hyperbole of corporate buzz words, mission statements etc etc

Then luckily we found something that was actually real. Something that did exactly what it says on the tin !
That something came in the unassuming form of Julie Parry.

Julie did exactly what many others have no doubt said at some time in their lives "I could do that job better". Unlike most of us Julie went and learned how to do the job so that she could then do it better, so she could offer, genuinley, what nearly all others offer but rarely deliver.

Anyone can say what they will do for you. It takes someone really special to actually do it, to actually deliver it. Julie Parry does this in spades.

We had no hesitation or doubts about her ability even when she would be refreshingly truthful and say she didn't know. Because if she didn't know, she would find out, not in days, but then and there. That truthfullness gives you more trust, more confidence than you will ever get from a glossy brochure, leering photograph or carefully prepared words on a website.

Julie's friendly but not in your face manner made us both feel like we had known Julie for ages and that we were actually spending time with a friend which is what we feel we have now gained.

As for Julie we want you to know how much we have, and still are appreciating your patience and assistance in what is set to be the biggest movement of not only our, but also our childrens lives. Thanks.
John & Tina

you are a star Julie, cant wait to get everyone round that firepit!!! Tina
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:11 pm
Tigerman

Location: West Yorkshire but busy packing for Calgary and flogging all my gear!!
Tigerman is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Calgary Police

Hi guyz and gals. I am new to this type of thing but just looking for a little bit of guidance if any of you people can help me please. I have completed the recruitment process and am just waiting to hear if I am going to be offered a place or not, which should be any day now. I feel comfortable with my realtor and due to my fact finding trips and talking to an ex UK officer already there as to where we want to live. We will, if successful, be heading towards Okotoks or Chaparral. We have two lads aged 14 and 12. Can anyone recommend, or not recommend, any schools in the said places. Also if I am successful does anyone know how long the visas take through the PNP system? I have heard reports of 2 months to 8 months! Thanks
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tigerman and welcome !

Can't really help you with your schools question, as we opted for the other end of town (Cochrane, oop north!) but ref your PNP question, I would potentially budget for up to a year and anything under that might be a bonus! I know of another guy who got his offer in January, has just done his medicals and is hoping to make the October intake if possible - which it should be. Another poster on here, rae, has taken a good year or so I believe (but he has gone to Edmonton).

Bureaucracy rules !
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:33 am
Just Joined

ifrit1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

All the best

Manny
Hi ,
I was just wondering how i would find out more information on Ed and Wendy Donald's basement for rent for a short period of time if there is any way of getting ahold of them or if they have a website it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Liz
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:54 pm
Tigerman

Location: West Yorkshire but busy packing for Calgary and flogging all my gear!!
Tigerman is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Morning Guyz and Galz,

Anyone out there know when the selection board is sitting this month?
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ifrit1984
Hi ,
I was just wondering how i would find out more information on Ed and Wendy Donald's basement for rent for a short period of time if there is any way of getting ahold of them or if they have a website it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Liz
Liz - Hi

try www.thegolfershaven.com

they are lovely, welcoming, used to us mad lot, and you would be very comfortable there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.