BERMUDA POLICE

Old May 24th 2010, 8:11 pm
Banned

Bermudabound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BERMUDA POLICE

Not sure if anyone's still interested but I overheard the PA to the recruiting manager in Flanagans the other night....

For all those that were promised positions following the recruitment process in 2008/9 they are reviewing the applicants and should be making a formal offer soon.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Best of luck if you're one of them.
Old May 25th 2010, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudabound
Not sure if anyone's still interested but I overheard the PA to the recruiting manager in Flanagans the other night....

For all those that were promised positions following the recruitment process in 2008/9 they are reviewing the applicants and should be making a formal offer soon.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Best of luck if you're one of them.
That would be me! \o/

Fingers crossed and crossed again this is true and I get the formal offer.

Last edited by DaisyD_UK; May 25th 2010 at 4:33 pm.
Old May 26th 2010, 2:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DaisyD_UK
That would be me! \o/

Fingers crossed and crossed again this is true and I get the formal offer.
The general consensus is that they're quite embarrassed by the whole episode and therefore will not let this out until the have everything finalised. Keep your diary's free over the next 6 months!!!

All I can say is it'll be worth the wait.

The good folk of BPS look after their officers (once here!)
I sound like a recruiting rep!!
Old May 26th 2010, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really nice

The general consensus is that they're quite embarrassed by the whole episode and therefore will not let this out until the have everything finalised. Keep your diary's free over the next 6 months!!!

Hmmm . . . that might be tricky! I have a wedding to go to in October in South Korea and am getting married myself at the end of November, with the honeymoon booked in December, and I still need to find time to fit in a hen night! If they do offer me a job, they'll just have to wait or be flexible - we put off getting engaged and married because we were waiting around for them - even if we could (which we can't), we're not cancelling it now!
Old May 26th 2010, 6:12 pm
Banned

Hmmm . . . that might be tricky! I have a wedding to go to in October in South Korea and am getting married myself at the end of November, with the honeymoon booked in December, and I still need to find time to fit in a hen night! If they do offer me a job, they'll just have to wait or be flexible - we put off getting engaged and married because we were waiting around for them - even if we could (which we can't), we're not cancelling it now!
Daisy dear, I'd be amazed if they BPS weren't flexible with you and officers of your ilk.

One of the guys who joined just before me was worried as he had some squash tournament to attend 3 weeks after he joined. However, they litteraly encouraged him to take time off to pursue this, and then had him sign up for the BPS squash team (who they send all over north America at their expense!)
Old May 26th 2010, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Daisy dear, I'd be amazed if they BPS weren't flexible with you and officers of your ilk.

One of the guys who joined just before me was worried as he had some squash tournament to attend 3 weeks after he joined. However, they litteraly encouraged him to take time off to pursue this, and then had him sign up for the BPS squash team (who they send all over north America at their expense!)
\o/ They can sign me up for the sailing team then! I'm in my Force's team for the round the island race in a few weeks time.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Bermudez999 is an unknown quantity at this point

a job for life ... or for the life of the current commissioner?

http://www.csmenetwork.com/2/index.p...est&Itemid=211

BERMUDA-Judge rules in favour of dismissed police officers
Wednesday, 23 June 2010 12:41 cmc
E-mail Print PDF
HAMILTON, Bermuda, CMC - A High Court judge has ruled in favour of five police officers, including three Jamaicans, who were sacked two days before completing 10 years with the Bermuda Police Service (BPS). The five -- Constable Romeo Allen, Detective Constable Emmerson Donald and Sergeant Courtney Williams from Jamaica, Constable Adrian George from Trinidad and Tobago and Cletus Cyris from St. Lucia – had gone to court arguing that the 10 year milestone would have given them permanent, pensionable positions within the BPS.

The dismissed police officers had argued that they had a “legitimate expectation” based on letters from former police commissioner George Jackson that they would be employed permanently.

Their attorney, Richard Horseman, said the BPS breached the officers’ legitimate expectations of a job for life when they got sent letters on March 17 telling them their contracts – due to expire on June 30 this year -- would not be renewed, and they would have to leave Bermuda.

The move was part of a new policy under Commissioner Michael DeSilva, who took over the top job in December, that previous disciplinary issues and negative reports should be taken into account when deciding whether to renew the contracts of law enforcement officials.

However, Horseman noted that questions were only raised over the performance of two officers and that no charges or action by way of a hearing or disciplinary tribunal, had been taken against them.

Horseman argued it was unfair to the officers that the “goalposts changed” when DeSilva took over and asked Justice Ian Kawaley to rule that the police force should honour the original agreement to keep the officers on in permanent positions.

He also noted that the men were brought to Bermuda as part of a batch of 17 new recruits 10 years ago and that the others, who are from England, have all been able to stay on in their jobs.

In quashing the decision to terminate the contracts, the judge said there was no evidence before the court to show their conduct or job performance since 2008 had been so deficient it justified not renewing their contracts.

He said there was also no other identifiable factor to demonstrate that terminating the officers would be in the public’s interest.

Regarding the continued employment of the British-born officers, Justice Kawaley said while there was no evidence that it was motivated by discrimination, “employers, both public and private, in a multicultural environment such as Bermuda, should be astute to shun any appearance of differential treatment.

“There is an obvious public interest in a unified police force able to focus on pressing law enforcement concerns, undistracted by the different cultural elements which exist among its ranks.”
Horseman said that his clients were pleased with the ruling.

“They are extremely pleased with the result, they have given a considerable amount of time to their professional careers in Bermuda, and they look forward to continuing to serve Bermuda,” he said.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Don't suppose you've heard any more on the grapevine?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:50 pm
Banned

Copout is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't suppose you've heard any more on the grapevine?
Thought I'd bump this thread. It's starting to get a bit mouldy.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 6:01 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Copout

Ill help out, arent you lot worried about handling all those missing persons cases from the Triangle?
Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Copout
For those that don't know, the recruiting drive has now been finalised. The newbies arrived last week.
The welcome party was a blast! Not sure what's in the water in Hampshire but you people are crazy. Never knew a beer bottle could be used for that purpose.

All in all I think most people that applied eventually got in, barring one or two. So that's not a bad return.

If you were one of the unlucky ones rest assured the competition was high this year. Better luck in 2013.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Bermudez999 is an unknown quantity at this point

at the whim / mercy of the island's COP? ....

A foreign policewoman is suing Commissioner Michael DeSilva over his decision to discharge her from the Bermuda Police Service.

According to a writ filed at the Supreme Court Registry, Octavia Ennis was terminated during her probationary period under the Police (Conditions and Service) Order 2002 on the basis she was “unlikely to become an efficient member” of the service. Only non-Bermudian officers have to serve a three-year probationary period.

The case is the second recently where Mr DeSilva has faced court action from non-Bermudian police officers. He was sued in Supreme Court last year by five policemen from the Caribbean who lost their jobs just two days before they were to become permanent officers with full pension rights.

Both the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal ordered Mr DeSilva to reinstate the officers, who had served for almost ten years.

The Court of Appeal stated the decision was “conspicuously unfair” and concluded that Mr DeSilva breached a promise his predecessor George Jackson made to the men, and failed to properly explain his reasons for not renewing their contracts.

The court said he failed to justify a claim that his decision was based on the officers’ poor work performance.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/...159929/-1/news
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Goody407 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any AFO's who went out last June on this Forum or anyone know of them, just wanted to know how life was on the Island and how you are all getting on and whether or not it was worth the move.