BERMUDA POLICE

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

ESTM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BERMUDA POLICE

HI THERE

ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE IVE BEEN ON HERE SO HERE I GO!

IM CURRENTLY A PC WITH SURREY POLICE (WITH 5 YEARS SERVICE) AND HAVE JUST COME BACK FROM A CAREER BREAK.

I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANYONE ON HERE THAT HAS CONSIDERED OR IS CONSIDERING TRANSFERING TO BERMUDA POLICE.

I SAW IT ADVERTISED A FEW YEARS AGO AND IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN AT THE BACK OF MY MIND. I LOVE TO TRAVEL WHICH IS ONE REASON WHY I WOULD LOVE TO GO OUT THERE.

IF ANYONE HAS COULD THEY GIVE ME SOME ADVICE, IE DO I FILL IN THE APPLICATION ON THERE SITE AND SEND IT BACK, OR IS THERE ANOTHER WAY? I HAVE SEEN THEIR ADVERT IN POLICE REVIEW IN THE PAST.

IF ANYONE KNOWS ANY INFO I WOULD BE MOST GRATEFUL,

CHEERS

EDDIE
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Skids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BERMUDA POLICE

Originally Posted by ESTM
HI THERE

IM CURRENTLY A PC WITH SURREY POLICE (WITH 5 YEARS SERVICE) AND HAVE JUST COME BACK FROM A CAREER BREAK.

I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANYONE ON HERE THAT HAS CONSIDERED OR IS CONSIDERING TRANSFERING TO BERMUDA POLICE.

I SAW IT ADVERTISED A FEW YEARS AGO AND IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN AT THE BACK OF MY MIND. I LOVE TO TRAVEL WHICH IS ONE REASON WHY I WOULD LOVE TO GO OUT THERE.

IF ANYONE HAS COULD THEY GIVE ME SOME ADVICE, IE DO I FILL IN THE APPLICATION ON THERE SITE AND SEND IT BACK, OR IS THERE ANOTHER WAY? I HAVE SEEN THEIR ADVERT IN POLICE REVIEW IN THE PAST.

CHEERS

EDDIE
The application on the website is only for local recruits. They usually only advertise in Police Review for overseas cops.

Good luck
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

HI SKIDS

MATE IVE SEEN YOUVE PUT A FEW POSTS AROUND ON THIS SITE, YOU SEEM TO BE THE BERMUDA PERSON TO CHAT TO LOL

WHATS THE BEST WAY TO APPROACH IT, I KNOW THAT THEY DONT PUT THE AD IN POLICE REVIEW EVERY WEEK AS I USE TO GET IT RELIGIOUSLY.

DO YOU KNOW IF THEY ARE RECRUITING AT THE MO, OR IS THERE SOMEONE I CAN RING TO GET MORE INFO, IVE HAD ENOUGH OF SURREY AND ITS TIME TO MOVE ON FOR ME.

I JUST WANT TO TRANSFER STRAIGHT THERE MATEY.

CHEERS FOR YA HELP

EDDIE
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:58 am
Just Joined

jonjohn83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alrite mate me and mate are with the BTP and waiting for a start date for thr BPS I'll send u a PM with the contact details
Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

JON MATE YOUR A LEGEND

IF YOU COULD SEND ME SOME INFO THAT WOULD BE GREAT!

I WANNA GET THE BALL ROLLING IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN, BUT I DONT KNOW WHO TO CONTACT ABOUT IT ETC.

I DONT THINK YOU CAN PM ME AS I HAVENT WRITTEN 3 POSTS OR SOMETHING.

JUST ONE QUESTION, HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FROM APPLICATION TO APPOINTMENT, AS I WANNA GO NOW!!!!!!!!!! LOL?

ILL TRY AND SORT OUT THE PM SITUATION.

EDDIE
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:41 am
Just Joined

jonjohn83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied in aug 08 got a UK interview in sep 08. You got to pay for a private medical assesment with your gp dentist and a chest xray for immigration etc and privately that costs close to 300 uk pounds but the BPS pays you back once you arrive. I'm now at the final stage the force doctor is currentley reviewing my results then its a wait for a posting and start date I'm hopeing to make the end of jan intake
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

THE MEDICAL IS WORTH IT AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED.

IVE SENT YA A PM MATE.

THANKS FOR THE HELP.

EDDIE.

SKIDS ARE U STILL THERE TO OFFER A HAND IN HELP?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ESTM
HI THERE

CHEERS

EDDIE
I'd say don't do it. Been there done that and its a fickle place. The best advice I can give is check out: http://www.bermuda.org.uk/

The author of this site is not embellishing in any way. I was there and saw it all.

I know you probably don't believe me. But at least you will go in with your eyes open.

Bermuda itself is beautiful.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

CHEERS FOR YA HELP

IVE BEEN HEARING ALL SORTS OF MIXED VIEWS, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER JOB IN WORLD, IM ALWAYS UP FOR GIVING THINGS A GO, OTHERWISE YA NEVER KNOW.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Bermudez999 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish you well. I say go, give it a try; if you do not you'll always wonder what would have happened if you did not open the door - it's a Narnian thing. Just keep your wits about you, be careful what you say and who you say it to. 'cover your a*se' has never been more appropriate. A recent escapee wrote:

"I did not see ONE decision made by senior police officer NOT ONE! they HAVE MAJOR ISSUES with facts and evidence. They have had a double homicide and have kept a man on remand with no evidence at all based on a phone call to a DI.

There is a team working on cold case murders that were badly investigated!

Their gang culture is getting out of hand. Recently a man shot at police and he is still not found.

no grievance procedures. It was an experience I shall never forget!!"

so eyes wide open, watch your back and trust no one ... the senior ranks will look to discipline you if your face does not fit and the lower ranks will enjoy you being in trouble - it diverts attention from them. it's a place where the incompetent or poorly trained do not strive to improve themselves but instead look to drag others down ... a perverse environment.

many enjoy the island and accept the job finding themselves niches or by towing the line. for many (most?) it is not about the job, it is about having a good time, enjoying life and some rich experiences. hey, after all, assuming it don't kill you (and they've not an officer for many, many years - but i wonder how long it will be given the crime and lack of respect for the police), it can only make you stronger. the life can be good, the beaches (as an example) and exposure to travel should be embraced but think to the future, what you want to get from the adventure.

(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jan 24th 2009 at 6:03 pm. Reason: Please dont post to promote your site
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Skids is an unknown quantity at this point

Bermudez999, I think that's a little unfair. Sure the BPS have their problems, but doesn't every police service? If policing was so good in the UK why are so many waiting to leave? I'll give you that there's division between Bermudian and non-Bermudian police officers but that's exactly the same as RCIP or any other similar police service.

It's true that policing in Bermuda is nothing like the UK, but that's exactly what I like about it most. I'm not saying it's perfect, far from it, but I'm saying that if you can accept the fact that policing is nothing like anything else you've experienced, then you'll learn to accept the place and enjoy what the place offers. If you can't, chances are that you'll hate the place and quickly go back.

Bermudez999, lots of what you've written is slanted and I think you've intentionally portrayed it that way. There is a grievance procedure and lots of brits hold senior positions. PACE is slowly coming here and change is definitely more evident. I accept that it wasn't for you and despite what you've said I've never seen any of the lower ranks (including myself) who've enjoyed seeing anyone else in the crap. As for lack of respect for the police...have you picked up a UK newspaper recently?

I'm an ex-pat cop here and love it. Say that I'm towing the line, but I can't help think we're hearing one side of the story and just want to give the place a fair shake.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Me 'unfair' ....? But only a little, thank you. I come to this site with open hands, hence having written about my site "it's poorly written in places, likely considered by many to be biased but what you will read actually happened". I also encourage people to join the Bermuda police Farce. I agree – the attraction is ‘what the place offers’. It is not about the job.

Some of my pages are confrontational, but I assure you the accounts are accurate. I have obviously written them with a slant – to the truth, my writing is intentional in this respect. The site is about to have its 10th anniversary and the page count is accurate; over 500 unique visitors / day. Not one person claiming the content is incorrect. Senior Officers condoning the use of illegally obtained search warrants, others associated with narcotics, false allegations and incompetence.

You are correct, Brits’ hold senior positions. But if only you knew … do you think they are comfortable? I recall a DI (still there) who tried opt have officers disciplined and was met with a lack of support and assistance.

The police service in the UK is a shadow of its former self and the job no longer a life career. But the discipline code is followed and the appeals process is substantial – internal, civil and there exists a formidable ‘union’. In addition Data protection Act enables access to your records and a Freedom of Information Act enables other data to be accessed. In Bermuda you are on your own and if you cross swords with a senior officer, you cards are marked.

So you have problems. What is being done about it? Nothing .. look at your commissioner, what has he done in his time, besides bought a marine section boat that no one commands and is likely unsuitable. What came of your Serious Crimes commission …. a catalogue of faults with recommendations that were, in the main, not acted upon. Do you know the findings are deemed ‘secret’ and therefore will not be released … why on earth not? I would suggest because the public will understand that they are poorly serviced and the criminal fraternity target Bermuda.

Yes, Bermuda has a discipline code, but the application is oppressive if the complaint internal. Many senior officers have acted out of malice, they are self-serving (I speak from experience of those who I knew - some nasty bits of work). I represented Bda and UK officers whilst there. 4 cases and everyone was found 'not guilty' (eventually) something that I understand was virtually unheard of, hence I was offered a job in Narco' if I stopped representing officers (I actually helped them out behind the scenes).

As for external complaints, those made by the public, there you have an advantage; you do not investigate them, you cannot get the officers to act on the complaints! Just look at the length of time it takes for matters to be addressed, assuming anyone looks into them.

As for me - I asked for a hearing following allegations of 'bucking authority' and 'allegedly attempting to record a conversation with a DCI (subsequently put on gardening leave as a result of my allegations and then retried)'. Hardly the most serious of allegations against an officer involved in every major investigation, with 5 years experience. But it was a matter of looking after the senior officer rank whose friends were supportive (other senior officers). If he was found out, how long before they too were looked at, or worse still, their rank undermined.

FSI (force standing instructions) say I am entitled to a hearing. Reasonableness, justice and fairness should prevail. I should be able to face my accusers and defend my name. Not in Bermuda, I was denied a hearing; it was easier to say they would not renew my contract. Of course I bucked authority, I was dealing with incompetent senior officers. I have respect for the rank, not necessarily the person holding it. One quick recommendation; do away with the senior officer’s bar (mess?); they are not military and it only helps to distance them from the lower ranks, it promotes ‘them and us’. Why do they need such a facility … if they then gather elsewhere to speak away from the masses, ask yourself ‘why?’.

The current Commissioner should be the subject of an enquiry, it should have happened years ago. But what can your constabulary do … who are they going to promote. Has ‘Sinky’ retired yet, last I heard he was a Superintendent. Ask him how many times he took his sergeant’s exam; did he ever pass or did he just wear them down?

You choose to toe the line ... decent of you to admit this. But why kowtow? I believe life is too short not to try and make a difference. I became too confident in Bermuda, in part it led to my downfall. But Inspector Gibbons (now a journalist for the Bermuda Sun) is incorrect; the ones who ‘subverted and betrayed’ me (his words, not mine) have not yet gone.

Of course every constabulary has its problems but in Bermuda the access to resources is limited. Why would a Bermudian join the police service ... it isn't the money and many were not competent / interested. Having said that, I encountered some enthusiastic Bermudians (I assume Butch Burgess still thrives) but for others it was an easy number, all they could do, a safe option.

‘respect’ … I wasn’t referring to the general disregard for the law and the commonly held belief that the average new copper in the UK is so poorly trained and equipped that it is difficult to believe what they say and have confidence in their actions. A senior Met’ officer said to me not so long ago that the people he has on the streets are ‘babies in training mode’.

I was referring to shooting at an officer … what do you have, less than 500 officers on an island of 62,000 people? They’re shooting at you! I cannot recall seeing a gun on the island in the hands of a criminal when I was there but if there was rumour of one, we were running an operation! And let’s not forget where else you are getting your officers from … it’s not just Brits and Bermudians …

I say to anyone who approaches me, go to the island and try it. But exercise caution. who knows, my web site may just have had some affect on the service in the past 10 years … possibly the senior ranks have in the back of their mind that their actions could have repercussions, that it is only time before others post data … but I am neither delusional nor so arrogant to believe this is the case and there’s always the likes of PC Palmer for senior officers to play with … is he bleating inappropriately or was his the subject of a concerted attack?

I wish you well. Enjoy the island, I did and I escaped relatively unscathed … kept my sanity, albeit in part by embracing the therapeutic hobby of a web site. It is currently being re-written and I will take on board your comments regarding my ‘slant’. However, I was (and am) a very hands on person who was frequently in contact with senior officers (had one at home for a father so knew how they should behave) and I can assure you, in my experience Bda officers are not looking after you. But times they are a changing … good bye and good riddance Socky the ‘service’ is a better place (without you).

Lastly, I apologise if I have breached site policy in conveying the above, I am not looking to hijack the forum or cause offence. My remarks are conveyed on my site and I stand by my word, hence I have no objection signing off without a pseudonym - how many serving officers would post their name? … I rest my case.

Philip Swift
www.bermudapolice.com - the domain shortly to host my site.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jan 24th 2009 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

NealR2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Over the years, hundreds of serving UK police officers have made the move to Bermuda. I was one of them, and I can really only speak from my own experiences. Some of the guys have had great times there, while others have had awful experiences. You can apply this to any job, so this is not really that useful to you. I will, however, try and give you a good sense of what working in the Bermuda Police is like.

My first impression of the job was standing in one of the police stations awaiting the night shift. I was overcome with this feeling that I had somehow gone back in time. I felt like I was in some kind of overseas colonial job posting, where any disciplinary infraction would be met with spending my day off whitewashing the ornamental stones outside. No matter how much advancement the Bermuda Police makes, it is all relative, and you will be staggered at just how backward you feel you have gone. If you have just come from a police service in the UK, like I did, this feeling will really resonate. I am not necessarily describing the infrastructure, but more so the overall professionalism and petty discipline. Even when you have become established after a lengthy period of time, you will never enjoy that band of brothers feeling you enjoyed back at work in the UK. Police work is an art, and the art of good police work often requires some degree of creativity. I am not suggesting twisting the law, but any police officer should know what I mean. Many of your Bermuda Police collegues will go out of their way to badly interpret things you say and do, and take great delight in reporting what they believe they have seen and heard to a sympathetic superior, who is of the same race and culture. Race. Yes, it's a problem in Bermuda, just like anywhere else. The difference is, though, that as a white man, you are in the minority, both at work and among the population. Most of your police superiors are non-white. I am not in any way suggesting that there's a racial conspiracy, but there are a significant few who go out of their way to get you. Maybe it's payback from their own racial experiences of the past, maybe they feel it's their duty to apply their own brand of affirmative action, or they are of the insecure variety and feel threatened by your air of superiority.

I am not suggesting you don't go. I had some bad moments and some great moments. Had I not gone to Bermuda and become a worldlier person, I would not have gone onto a great life in the private sector in another foreign country. You can do okay in Bermuda. Just apply some common sense and learn to be one step ahead of the people that I've previously described. They aren't that bright.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NealR2000
Over the years, hundreds of serving UK police officers have made the move to Bermuda. I was one of them, and I can really only speak from my own experiences. Some of the guys have had great times there, while others have had awful experiences. You can apply this to any job, so this is not really that useful to you. I will, however, try and give you a good sense of what working in the Bermuda Police is like.

My first impression of the job was standing in one of the police stations awaiting the night shift. I was overcome with this feeling that I had somehow gone back in time. I felt like I was in some kind of overseas colonial job posting, where any disciplinary infraction would be met with spending my day off whitewashing the ornamental stones outside. No matter how much advancement the Bermuda Police makes, it is all relative, and you will be staggered at just how backward you feel you have gone. If you have just come from a police service in the UK, like I did, this feeling will really resonate. I am not necessarily describing the infrastructure, but more so the overall professionalism and petty discipline. Even when you have become established after a lengthy period of time, you will never enjoy that band of brothers feeling you enjoyed back at work in the UK. Police work is an art, and the art of good police work often requires some degree of creativity. I am not suggesting twisting the law, but any police officer should know what I mean. Many of your Bermuda Police collegues will go out of their way to badly interpret things you say and do, and take great delight in reporting what they believe they have seen and heard to a sympathetic superior, who is of the same race and culture. Race. Yes, it's a problem in Bermuda, just like anywhere else. The difference is, though, that as a white man, you are in the minority, both at work and among the population. Most of your police superiors are non-white. I am not in any way suggesting that there's a racial conspiracy, but there are a significant few who go out of their way to get you. Maybe it's payback from their own racial experiences of the past, maybe they feel it's their duty to apply their own brand of affirmative action, or they are of the insecure variety and feel threatened by your air of superiority.

I am not suggesting you don't go. I had some bad moments and some great moments. Had I not gone to Bermuda and become a worldlier person, I would not have gone onto a great life in the private sector in another foreign country. You can do okay in Bermuda. Just apply some common sense and learn to be one step ahead of the people that I've previously described. They aren't that bright.
This poster perfectly describes the experience.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:26 am
Just Joined

eloquently put Neal (I am assuming joined Bda '86).

to whoever is considering Bermuda ... go. Do not think of it as long term but ask what the country (the experience) can do for you ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.