Alberta PNP ?'s

Old Nov 5th 2007, 1:00 am
Just Joined

BadlyDrawnGrl is a jewel in the roughBadlyDrawnGrl is a jewel in the roughBadlyDrawnGrl is a jewel in the roughBadlyDrawnGrl is a jewel in the roughBadlyDrawnGrl is a jewel in the rough
Default Alberta PNP ?'s

Hi all - writing this on behalf of my partner, who is normally too flat-out at work and too busy drinking beer and watching rugby at home to post on message boards. We are a couple (me: American, him: British) looking to emigrate to Canada in the near future. I will be attending school there, and he is looking to join the police force after spending three years in the Army. Obviously we are very interested in the PNP program that Alberta currently offers in conjunction with Calgary and Edmonton Police, and we were wondering, does it apply only to police officers or would he be eligible with a military background? Also, how cut-throat is the application process? With only 25 or so spaces, I would imagine competition would be fierce. Basically, does he have a hope in hell of getting in, and is it worth the time and money he spends on training and traveling for the tests to apply, or are we just pinning our hopes on a very small chance?
Old Nov 5th 2007, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta PNP ?'s

There have been a couple of other similar questions about the PNP (possibly on the main long CPS thread). One was from a guy in the navy and the other from an MP, I think. Don't think either of them have reported back on how they go on, which is a shame ....

Phone up and ask ! Technically, I can't see why you should not qualify for a PNP place. CPS might prefer to take ex-UK officers, but I'm sure they don't have to in every case. If your partner can qualify and pass all the tests, then why shouldn't he be allowed a PNP place?

You partner could phone up and ask point blank if there would be an issue - then if a response is favourable, complete the application and wait for a call to come over to do the tests. It's not going to cost anything up until that point (I think even the $107 application fee is being waived now). And if a PNP place would not be offered from the outset, then at least you'll know, and you won't have spent any cash on this route...
And if he is invited to go out on tests, then you'll be 'investing' in your future just the rest of us

And whilst it has been published that there are approx 25-27 PNP places a year, that is a loose figure. The places are hard fought, but if 35 good candidates qualify then they would push them through .... best wishes