Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Advice on WAPOL pay and more....

Advice on WAPOL pay and more....

Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:40 am
Just Joined

gooner3425 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on WAPOL pay and more....

Hi I'm a PC currently serving in the UK with 10 years service.
I am looking at applying for the next batch of WAPOL applications and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
My main concerns are regarding finances and pay could anyone answer the following questions?

1. What is the starting pay
2. How long is the probationary period and what does the pay go up to on completion of this
3. I've read conflicting reports regarding senior constable stuff could someone clarify please..... At my length of service would I automatically go in as a senior constable? if not would I have to take the exam, and what would the salary go up to at that rank.
Sorry to ask so many questions about money but I have a young family and need to know if It's possibly for me to take the big step

Last question I've been looking at rents and property and can see you get more for your money than in the UK but is the cost of living cheaper than the UK?
Thanks for reading this thread.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on WAPOL pay and more....

Originally Posted by gooner3425
Hi I'm a PC currently serving in the UK with 10 years service.
I am looking at applying for the next batch of WAPOL applications and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
My main concerns are regarding finances and pay could anyone answer the following questions?

1. What is the starting pay
2. How long is the probationary period and what does the pay go up to on completion of this
3. I've read conflicting reports regarding senior constable stuff could someone clarify please..... At my length of service would I automatically go in as a senior constable? if not would I have to take the exam, and what would the salary go up to at that rank.
Sorry to ask so many questions about money but I have a young family and need to know if It's possibly for me to take the big step

Last question I've been looking at rents and property and can see you get more for your money than in the UK but is the cost of living cheaper than the UK?
Thanks for reading this thread.
Hello mate, I start with WAPol on the 1st of October, heading out Aus. next week.
Right, I'll answer your questions best I can and I'm sure I'll be corrected if
I've got anything wrong.
1) with 10 years service, you will start on 5th year constable rate ($56,261)
this is for the first 12 weeks whilst your at the academy.
2) On completion of the 12 weeks at the academy and successfully passing
the relevant exams you move onto fist class constable pay ( $59,865)
3) With regard to senior constable, you can apply with 9 years service, but
have to wait until a relevant course is available. Pay for senior constable
is currently $64,553. Of course, once you have finished at the academy,
you can add various shift penalties to your pay

As far as cost of living is concerned, I'll probably be better placed to advise
in a few weeks. The impression I get is that it's pretty similar to the UK, although with some marked differences depending what your buying.

Steve
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, the pay levels I quoted above were valid until the 1st of July
You'll have to add about 4% for the current rates
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Just to clarify, the pay levels I quoted above were valid until the 1st of July
You'll have to add about 4% for the current rates
Thanks for your reply Steve, good luck in October, hopefully I'll be joining you when they open up the recruitment again.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply Steve, good luck in October, hopefully I'll be joining you when they open up the recruitment again.
Hi Geordiebloke,
Again thanks for your help with my question got another for you if you could be so kind
When I apply, I'm not worried about the fitness side of the process but should I be concerned about the written exam? if so any thoughts regarding swotting up for it.

Thanks again

Chris
Old Aug 8th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Geordiebloke,
Again thanks for your help with my question got another for you if you could be so kind
When I apply, I'm not worried about the fitness side of the process but should I be concerned about the written exam? if so any thoughts regarding swotting up for it.

Thanks again

Chris
Hello Chris,

Have a look at the WAPol website www.stepforward.wa.gov.au. There's
some sample questions on here to give you an idea.
When I did the test in Nov.2006 I found that the questions were not
that difficult, but the time you had to do them in was limited, so that pushed
up the pressure.
I'm sure there will be some online source for further practice and it's probably
worthwhile, just to get the old grey matter up to speed.

Steve
Old Aug 8th 2008, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Hello Chris,

Have a look at the WAPol website www.stepforward.wa.gov.au. There's
some sample questions on here to give you an idea.
When I did the test in Nov.2006 I found that the questions were not
that difficult, but the time you had to do them in was limited, so that pushed
up the pressure.
I'm sure there will be some online source for further practice and it's probably
worthwhile, just to get the old grey matter up to speed.

Steve
Nice one mate, keep me updated on your experience in Oz.
all the best

Chris.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Advice on WAPOL pay and more....

Hi Steve thanks for your help, I noticed that you have about a 2 year gap between your tests and the start of your course in Oz, is this about the norm from start to finish?
(Tried to post this twice 3rd time lucky)
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

BPurnell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

New to this site and wondering if anyone knows when the next int intake for WAPOL is going to be.

Missed the last one May 07 by about a week and been waiting anxiously ever since

Currently response officer in Northern Ireland (3.5yrs)

Any info you can give would be greatky appreciated.

regards

Barry
Old Nov 16th 2008, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Dorset is an unknown quantity at this point

Apps close for the next recruitment drive for intake 2010, December 7th 2008 so best get your form in now!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

arizona123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone been contacted by WA Police yet since the closing date or is the silence bad news!?
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I have a mail to say they had received my application and to wait for further contact and not to send mails in or try to contact while they sort through the apps. They wished good luck. Have to wait out now. The closing date has only just expired so dare say it will be couple mont before they make decisions?
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

holly208 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have still not heard anything!!! guess it will be a few more weeks until paper sifts are completed!
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

Hi all, my wife is going to apply for WAPOL when (if?) we sell our house here in the uk, was wondering, whats the approximate timeline from sending off the application to hopefully receiving an offer? Thanks.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:30 am
Just Joined

you have just missed the next recruitment drive. Closed 7th decmeber 08 and the web site clearly states that applicants from that drive, if accepted will not start until June to December 2010 so that tells you how long it takes from app to start. Around 1.5 to 2 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.