Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

2 weeks leave is all you get in canada

2 weeks leave is all you get in canada

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Vladimir Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 weeks leave is all you get in canada

Yes before you quit the UK for good, bear in mind some little perky facts:

1) Most Canadian employers private and public give just 2 weeks (10 days) paid vacation a year. After working about 20 years you might get back up to where you started in the UK (ie 22-25 days). I accept: some police services are a LITTLE more generous (maybe 12 or so) but it still isn't too much. OK so you may get some more time off due to shift rotas etc. But also bear in mind: up until the 80s a lot canadians worked a SIX day week. Nice huh?

So if you come over with a non-police spouse, she or he might end up stuck in a job with even less vacation than you!

2) As to sickness: go over about 6 days and you generally go down to 80% pay. Bit different from the 6 month allowance of most Uk police services huh?

3) As to the myth that everything is so much cheaper than UK, have a look at the supermarket prices: you're looking at paying about 3 times more for a loaf of bread, tinned food, cheese, meat, milk etc. OK, housing is cheaper, and gas (petrol) but then you also get all these nice little hidden taxes and prices that jump up at you.

not so rose-tinted now huh? :scared:
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Cut me mick! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 weeks leave is all you get in canada

Originally Posted by Vladimir Drake
Yes before you quit the UK for good, bear in mind some little perky facts:

1) Most Canadian employers private and public give just 2 weeks (10 days) paid vacation a year. After working about 20 years you might get back up to where you started in the UK (ie 22-25 days). I accept: some police services are a LITTLE more generous (maybe 12 or so) but it still isn't too much. OK so you may get some more time off due to shift rotas etc. But also bear in mind: up until the 80s a lot canadians worked a SIX day week. Nice huh?

So if you come over with a non-police spouse, she or he might end up stuck in a job with even less vacation than you!

2) As to sickness: go over about 6 days and you generally go down to 80% pay. Bit different from the 6 month allowance of most Uk police services huh?

3) As to the myth that everything is so much cheaper than UK, have a look at the supermarket prices: you're looking at paying about 3 times more for a loaf of bread, tinned food, cheese, meat, milk etc. OK, housing is cheaper, and gas (petrol) but then you also get all these nice little hidden taxes and prices that jump up at you.

not so rose-tinted now huh? :scared:
cheerful fella isnt he
Old Dec 29th 2006, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

respecttradition is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a problem with people wanting to find out for themselves? One reason that I want to leave the UK for is the negativity English people have and you are really proving that point! There are good points and bad points about everywhere in the world but let people make up their own minds from their own experience and stop trying to darken what is / maybe a real opportunity for a change of direction for people who may want more than to die in the same town that they have lived for all their lives. People ask me all the time why I want to leave the UK and my stock answer is "Why not".
Whilst I appreciate that you have valuable information to pass onto people who would like to make up their own minds, your negative attitude is certainly not welcome.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Gosh arent you cheerful?!!! Just out of interest are in you Canada or the UK?
Old Dec 29th 2006, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Cool My Response

I am in Canada, as clearly stated.

As to negativity: how dare any of you accuse me of this, when all it seems 95% of what you write about UK is how bad it is.

Yes we've heard it all before: ASBOS, styreet disorder, the govt, taxes, high prices etc etc etc.

guess what? You think in canada people don't moan about exactly the same thing HERE??

A middle class woman goes into a sandwich shop one evening in North toronto last year.

She is from a decent home, a decent family with teenage children.

Bang! a passing gang member puts a bullet in her spine, now she is paralysed for life in a wheelchair.

Why? Mistook her for someone else so he claims.

And this was in a "decent" area of the city.

I have every right to alert people to some facts that i sure as hell wish someone had enlightened me about 4 years ago.

And if my tone is sour, it just matches yours.

You'd be surprised at how many Canadians would like to move to the UK or Europe.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

And another thing too: it's one thing to visit a country and think "its nice" but actually living here day in and day out, and working here day in day out are very different from vacationing.

If you want to just be abusive to my posts and criticise me fine, one thing though is that if you can keep your police job in the UK open like on a career break or something rather than just resigning: wise idea.

Cos you never know.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Davie McCaig will become famous soon enough

Vladimir,

What part of Canada are you in? Just curious...

The Police pay and conditions here in the UK are getting worse and worse...As I've stated in a previous thread they have cut the amount of notice required to cancel your rest day from 8 days to 5 days notice for double time payment. And by all accounts this is going to change very soon to even less notice.

Which force are you going to join back in the UK?

I am sure others on here like myself are looking for a change of life because they are pissed of by the UK. To me it is a great opportunity to be able to join the police in Canada and don't want to spend the rest of my life saying " what if" if i don't give it a chance.

I do appreciate your "negative " comments regarding life in Canada as I don't want to make a mistake.

Dave
Old Jan 6th 2007, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

I am in Toronto.

As to which force in UK, Cumbria.

The conditions and pay that you describe, well I think you will find that in Canada many officers have similar issues here, although of course regulations on cancelled rest days vary from place to place.