Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

Will my Plumbing qualifications be recodnised in NSW

Will my Plumbing qualifications be recodnised in NSW

Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:57 am
Just Joined

ERN49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Will my Plumbing qualifications be recodnised in NSW

Hi Everyone

Hoping for some answers before we make the big move, 59 years old, city & guilds advanced plumbing qualifications, water by laws, off shore instrument pipefitter also. Our girls are in oz and we have applied for a contributory parental visa, how hard do you think it will be to get sorted out with a job, nsw central coast

cheers
ern
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of
Default Re: Will my Plumbing qualifications be recodnised in NSW

g`day mate

i lived on the coast (avoca) for a while few years ago, not a great place for plumbing work due to the population size, plenty of work in sydney but your looking at an hours drive from gosford.
your advanced city n guilds will need to be assessed by the nsw office of fair trading to get a tradesman certificate, this will get you a job with a plumbing company under there licence.
other jobs you see advertised might ask for a journeyman plumber or plumbing trades assistant , these jobs dont req any qualifications just a bit of plumbing knowledge .
i subbied to gosford council swapping water meters on price work...got about 10 bucks a meter swap and extra $20 if digging out was reqd.
the other lads doing the work were carpenters and handymen who wanted work on the coast and not travel to the city..
there is a lot of workers on the coast that drive to sydney (then battle the traffic once in the city)
but it is one of the best places to live on the east coast and offten overlooked as its so close to sydney,
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

ERN49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oz miller man
g`day mate

i lived on the coast (avoca) for a while few years ago, not a great place for plumbing work due to the population size, plenty of work in sydney but your looking at an hours drive from gosford.
your advanced city n guilds will need to be assessed by the nsw office of fair trading to get a tradesman certificate, this will get you a job with a plumbing company under there licence.
other jobs you see advertised might ask for a journeyman plumber or plumbing trades assistant , these jobs dont req any qualifications just a bit of plumbing knowledge .
i subbied to gosford council swapping water meters on price work...got about 10 bucks a meter swap and extra $20 if digging out was reqd.
the other lads doing the work were carpenters and handymen who wanted work on the coast and not travel to the city..
there is a lot of workers on the coast that drive to sydney (then battle the traffic once in the city)
but it is one of the best places to live on the east coast and offten overlooked as its so close to sydney,
Thank's for the information, that's usefull, cheers.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

keithff35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ERN49
Thank's for the information, that's usefull, cheers.
it depends on your experince, my brother was working for years as a plumber, after about 4-5 years of experince he got the recognition from NSW and now he works for Tampa plumber as a lead plumber, its the experince that recognizes your talent
Old Aug 9th 2009, 10:03 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

If experience is recognised that would be great.

My OH is a plumber with 20 years experience in the UK but dropped out of college with minimal qualifications and therefore only has first year quals -city and guilds level 1.
We are applying for visa on my job (Nurse)
But we are really worried that he won't be able to work in Australia without plumbing licience.
OH is thinking about going on one of those intensive 12 week course things to gain qualifications to enable him to work as a plumber in australia. (costs about 6K)

Does anyone have any advice or input on this idea?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lyx

My OH is a plumber with 20 years experience in the UK but dropped out of college with minimal qualifications and therefore only has first year quals -city and guilds level 1.
But we are really worried that he won't be able to work in Australia without plumbing licience.
OH is thinking about going on one of those intensive 12 week course things to gain qualifications to enable him to work as a plumber in australia. (costs about 6K)

I wouldn't bother doing quals in UK, you will still have to sit plumbing licence in oz with or without it. You can get a provisional licence in some states just based on experience, you have to have written evidence of the experience available with contacts. You can work as a plumbers Trade assistant with no qualifications, jobs are hard to come by but they are about...
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:53 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Thanks for the info;
Do you know which states will give a provisional licience based on experience, as this would have a huge bearing as to where abouts in oz we settle.
Thanks.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:07 am
Just Joined

somersetaussi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lyx

Hi, we have been out here 2 months now and are still getting the run around from diff aussie gov bodies.. My OH is a city and guilds, corgi reg plumber with 20 yrs experience.
I can offer the details of the head of plumbing at Sydney TAFE(college) who seems very up on Vettassess and the gap training!!
it only took 48 ph calls to find him.... and as we live 6 hrs drive from sydney it is still not the final solution for us...
You need to speak to Peter Miles on 02 99420771. he will tell you about the gap training...
It looks like my OH will not get a full trade certificate or plumbing licence until he has done the gap training for Plumbing level 111 here in aus, then a separate licencing course.. here in Coffs it will take about 2 yrs!!!
Noone wants to hire him as they all want the full licence.. especially for the solar.
It looks like there is a license for everything!!! even to scratch your arse!!
Nics role as a plumber in the UK would have been central heating, kitchen bathroom fitting, painting tiling, carpentry, and all the normal plumbing maintenance.. here his job does not exist!! here every one of those roles would have to be done by a separate licensed tradie..
the questions you all need to ask is can you survive for 2 yrs of pos not finding work.. do you really want to go back and study?!! It is frustrating and degrading!!!
anyway I hope the ph no helps..
good luck Lil
Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:09 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Lil, I'm a nurse so we will have an income. That looks like what everyones up against. I'll discuss it all with OH but right now Macdonalds is looking favourable for him (unless you need a liciance for that too )
Old Aug 19th 2009, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point

I know pete miles very well, he does the RPL as already said. dont leave him a message as he dont return calls, his mobile number is 0406 686145

something you might not know is that you can do a kinda crash course, you will need to do your practicle for cert 3 & maybe some exams, in short you should be able to complete all cert 3 in 3 months ( about how long it took me & some other guys from the uk) 4 - 5 days a week

then do Cert 4 here's where the other crash course bit comes in, enroll in cert 4 plumbing & take 2 or 3 classes at once (only 1 fee) drainage and water are the harder 2 so choose gas, drainage then next term choose water and business studies, you should be able to finish cert 4 in 12 months.

the crap thing about tafe is they are (poor teachers in my opinion) they have this thing called missing words, every study or learning note has missing words that they tell you, and you write in your learing out come. But dont worry in the last 2 weeks on the course they go over an old exam and say you will prob get lots of these questions in your exam as they never change all the questions etc. (in my exam most of the questions were the same)

the other good bit is that its only a 50% pass mark.

inshort if you turn up for class & do your class work you'll be very unlucky if you fail.

anyone who attend the st leonards tafe, dont waste your time trying to make your practicle work look to good, just crash it out as fast as you can and take pics of everything as you have to submit them at the end, also you can do projects in pairs, another good one is to take pics of someone elses work.

if anyone need and of the course books or study notes i have most of them, and the book you have to buy for the course in pdf. Email me if you want them [email protected]

James

You need to speak to Peter Miles on 02 99420771. he will tell you about the gap training...
Old Aug 20th 2009, 7:33 am
Just Joined

ExpatJobGroup is an unknown quantity at this point

Try this contact for requirements in Western Australia

Kerry Thomas [email protected]
Master Plumbers and Gas Fitters Association of WA
http://www.masterplumbers.asn.au
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

fimpen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, planning a move to WA next year and wondering what the deal is with UK city and guilds being recognised at the moment? wondering also if its worth training to solar panels in UK before i get to oz...
cheers!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:06 am
Just Joined

smoke_n_mirrors is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fimpen
Hi, planning a move to WA next year and wondering what the deal is with UK city and guilds being recognised at the moment? wondering also if its worth training to solar panels in UK before i get to oz...
cheers!
why bother to do Solar in the uk if your leaving as its a 3-4 day course, where as in Oz it's a one day course & includes heatpumps & some also include 5* gas as well. & its free With Rheem anyway & you can also have all your food and drink free during the day as well.

Check out the website http://www.rheemtraining.com.au/
If you come to the sydney site you even get a factory tour to see how its all made.

James
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fimpen
cheers!
hi
i did every course around in the uk, solar, heat pumps, water harvesting, ect ect, none of them count here, in fact no one was even interested, all they want to see at the plumbing licence office is your city guilds , then they give you the provisional licence easy as that, then its off to college for a year to do your 8 modules of boredom for the full licence, (this is queensland), i know in vic its the same but no college course you just sit a exam after about 6 months to gain the full licence, dont no much about wa im afraid.
john
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

KeelsH has a brilliant futureKeelsH has a brilliant futureKeelsH has a brilliant futureKeelsH has a brilliant futureKeelsH has a brilliant futureKeelsH has a brilliant futureKeelsH has a brilliant future
Default Plumber/ gas fitter in Sydney - where do we start?!?

Hello everyone,

My partner and I could be moving to Sydney as I am hopefully in the process of being sponsored on a 457 visa.

My partner is a plumber/ gas fitter with six years experience.

He runs his own business and has City and Guilds NVQ levels 2 and 3, Accredited Core Safety in natural gas, CCN1, HTR1, WAT1, CEN1, CKR1, as well as unvented cylinder tickets, water regulations, CSCS and he is Gas Safe registered.

He is also teaching basic plumbing at the moment.

However, from what I have read it will not be easy for him to get him a job because there are no end of hoops to jump through - so I was wondering if anyone could give us some advice..

To be honest I am really panicking and have no idea where to start!

Which of his qualifications will be recognised in Sydney and if he went through an immigration agent in the UK would that be in any way beneficial?

Are recruitment agencies in Sydney helpful?

Is there anything he should do in the UK before we go to Oz?

What are the conversion courses in Australia? How expensive are they and how long do they take?

He has all his tools but it will cost us a fortune to ship them over and if he doesn't have the right qualifications to go solo, is it worth it?

This was supposed to be a dream come true for us but to be honest the more I read, the more I worry it is going to end up a complete nightmare!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated..

Many thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.