Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

Plumbing Apprenticeship advise CANADA

Plumbing Apprenticeship advise CANADA

Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:42 am
Just Joined

SamTomkins85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plumbing Apprenticeship advise CANADA

Hi,

Ive read all through your website, very useful but im afraid didn't answer all my questions.

My Name is Samuel Tomkins, i am 25 and British citizen, currently in IT/customer support and sick of this job. I am making a career change and heading into the plumbing profession. My Plan to is work Canada where there is a demand for this trade.

I am thinking of paying for fast track plumbing course to gain my city and guilds lvl 2 technical certificate in UK as soon as possible, would these qualifications be equivalent to the Canadian plumbing standard?

Having done this fast track qualification would i be able to enroll as a plumber apprentice if i could find plumber or plumbing company to take me on?

Would it be advised i study here in the UK to get my qualifications or should i maybe think about studying in Canada to get my foot in the door for apprenticeships over there?

Many thanks for your time and apologise if these topics have all been covered but i have looked through your site already to try and find my answers.

Cheers

Sam
Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all
Default Re: Plumbing Apprenticeship advise CANADA

Originally Posted by SamTomkins85
Hi,

Ive read all through your website, very useful but im afraid didn't answer all my questions.

My Name is Samuel Tomkins, i am 25 and British citizen, currently in IT/customer support and sick of this job. I am making a career change and heading into the plumbing profession. My Plan to is work Canada where there is a demand for this trade.

I am thinking of paying for fast track plumbing course to gain my city and guilds lvl 2 technical certificate in UK as soon as possible, would these qualifications be equivalent to the Canadian plumbing standard?

Having done this fast track qualification would i be able to enroll as a plumber apprentice if i could find plumber or plumbing company to take me on?

Would it be advised i study here in the UK to get my qualifications or should i maybe think about studying in Canada to get my foot in the door for apprenticeships over there?

Many thanks for your time and apologise if these topics have all been covered but i have looked through your site already to try and find my answers.

Cheers

Sam
Level two or three tech cert isn't worth anything anywhere, not even in the uk, it's not a complete qualification, it needs to be coupled with a nvq two or three , I'ts a dreadful qualification as it offers only college experience with no practical experience. I delivered it for five years to adult students and found it to be a waste of time, giving false hope of employment to students, sorry but there you go, I hope someone from Canada comes along to offer you some more direct info, have you actually been over to look yet, also contact possible employers.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 6:32 pm

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Plumbing Apprenticeship advise CANADA

How would a course over a few weeks give you the same quailfactions as a 4 year apprenticeship it simply would not.and to do an apprenticeship in canada you need to be a PR.