Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

plumbers licence for australia?

plumbers licence for australia?

Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

baz archie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default plumbers licence for australia?

hello there to all concerned.i had a chat with an emigration agent today.he told me that as soon as i do my skills assessment in the uk i can go on to be a licenced plumber as soon as i arrive in oz thats if all other things go well.he said it was introduced at the 1st of sept.reading through this forum plumbers are saying how much hassle it can be to be licensed.can anyone advise me on this.please.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: plumbers licence for australia?

Originally Posted by baz archie
hello there to all concerned.i had a chat with an emigration agent today.he told me that as soon as i do my skills assessment in the uk i can go on to be a licenced plumber as soon as i arrive in oz thats if all other things go well.he said it was introduced at the 1st of sept.reading through this forum plumbers are saying how much hassle it can be to be licensed.can anyone advise me on this.please.

The new assesment with Vetassess will give you a provisional licence and also detail what you need to do to get a full licence on arrival in Australia.

However, because the Vetassess assessments are fairly new, there is no real guarantee or proof that it will be any easier than it is now.

My guess is that you will still need to do some kind of course on arrival to gain a full licence - but you should be able to work for a while on the provisional, you just may need to work for less money until you have your full licence.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

baz archie is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks wendy for your reply.would still like to hear from anyone with furthewr advice if possible.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by baz archie
Hi,
I guess it depends on which state you are looking to go to as each one has different rules! I got my tradesmans licence in Perth from a one day course. This allows me to work 'under the supervision' of someone holding a plumbers licence. Basically I can either be employed or go subbie but can't run my own business until plumbers licence obtained. That is from a WA point of view - as for the other states I don't know!
Hope this helps,
Dan
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What does 'the course' involve then?

Out here in New Zealand, plumbers have to sit a three hour exam and have a practical assessment. That's if the New Zealand plumbing board approve of your overseas qualifications If you want self-employment you have to sit a further two exams. One is plumbing , the other is a business studies exam.

Is it the same sort of thing for W australia?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

mario bros is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan the Plumber
Hi,
I guess it depends on which state you are looking to go to as each one has different rules! I got my tradesmans licence in Perth from a one day course. This allows me to work 'under the supervision' of someone holding a plumbers licence. Basically I can either be employed or go subbie but can't run my own business until plumbers licence obtained. That is from a WA point of view - as for the other states I don't know!
Hope this helps,
Dan
hi dan new to the site, fully qualified plumber/gas fitter in uk, hoping to head out to perth with my cousin who is also a fully qualified plumber etc etc hoping to head out to perth in sep/oct 08 both got working visas.just a quick query regarding work,and the situation for hiring provisional plumbers and is there a lot of demand for uk plumbers, any info would be most welcome