Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

Plumber wanting to move to NZ or Aus

Plumber wanting to move to NZ or Aus

Old May 9th 2012, 8:24 am
Just Joined

stephendavies93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Plumber wanting to move to NZ or Aus

Okay then, taken on board.

Have a good one

Cheers
Steve
Old May 11th 2012, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BEVS
Well John. I have to ask myself why I bothered to spend my time responding to the OP , for all the acknowledgement my effort received.

BEVS
Wife of a time served plumber & gasfitter + 35 yr exp in his trade.
Who ran own P&G business in the UK for years.
Who successfully did own SMC application to enable us both to live and work in NZ &
who helped and still helps dyslexic OH to upskill to the point of being able to answer most P&G questions on PGDB exam papers.
kepp smiling bevs, you do a grand job on ere, i remember speaking to you back in 08/09 when we were thinking about nz, always a help.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

The NZQA charge just under $800 for the qualification match back home. Don't think I shall be doing that unless I decide to move for good. Could anybody help me with some good website for jobs? Idealy Plumbing jobs and also bar work etc. as Im travelling around?

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 27th 2012, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Could someone tell me if they know what the equivelant to a NVQ2 in Plumbing is in terms of the NZ board what level?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Steve
Old Jul 9th 2013, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Paulmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , I am q gas fitter / plumber wanting to move to nz with my wife and two boys age 3 and 6 I am quite handy with joinery and building work also , my wife is a q dental nurse would we e able to survive in nz or would you recommend a diff trade want to make the jump just need a push thanks in advance
PAUL.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there Ahab39 - I have moved your post to a thread in the New Zealand forum . Click HERE
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

jd24hrs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stephendavies93
Hey,

Im a 19 year old qualified plumber (NVQ2).

Went to college got my C&G Level 2 6129 in Domestic Plumbing. Then once that course was finished with, went out to the real work and completed my portfolio for my NVQ2 and got that signed off within the year through an apprenticeship. So I am currently a qualified plumber in the UK but can't touch gas.

I hold a 23 month Working Holiday Visa for New Zealand, plan is to leave in September. I just want to know where I stand at with Plumbing work in NZ and/or Australia?

I know to become certified in NZ you have to hold the equivalent qualifications but I don't know what that would be as I only have a NVQ2? Same with Australia? Ive heard about this TAFE which is if you hold the same equivalent qualifications you then have to register, take a theory test and then a practical test which totals $2000 NZD approx.

I don't hold a NVQ3 because I haven't wanted to get into gas yet, I just want to be standard plumber.

If anyone has any information on what to do? What qualifications you need? Or how to get them abroad and cost etc. would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve
hi steve i hope you went to australia because they have more people and a better chance of making a good living
in my experience NZ would be a big mistake I've seen to many good plumbers and gas engineers give and go to australia or back to the countries they came from and usually broke and destroyed
i say good luck JD
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:03 pm
`

Originally Posted by jd24hrs
hi steve i hope you went to australia because they have more people and a better chance of making a good living
in my experience NZ would be a big mistake I've seen to many good plumbers and gas engineers give and go to australia or back to the countries they came from and usually broke and destroyed
i say good luck JD
I've asked you before not to post in this vein. I realise that your own tale has not worked out the way you wanted it to ,either through lack of understanding , research or information at the time several years ago now but to make the sweeping statement you just have is not on.

Not all migrant plumbers and gasfitters that have come to New Zealand have ended up 'broke and destroyed' as you put it. In fact, having been here ten years now we know a wide range of folk in this trade & we only know of one .

My own husband is in good employment and is now a craftsman plumber and a registered gasfitter. It took time & effort but he's done it. We know several migrants in the trade , not all from the UK , and none have had their lives blighted as you suggest.

Not even the chap from Hungary who had a real struggle to have the Hungarian trade quals understood & recognised by NZIS and the PGDB. He prevailed and is now fully registered.
For a UK plumber/gasfitter the requirements these days are straightforward and transparent.
10/12 years ago it was harder to be sure of what the level was that was required as the info was not so readily availablel but looking back it was actually the exact same as it is today.

It's true that there is study, exams and workmanship testing to get through but that is the same for Australia. One needs to adjust to the ways of the country one chooses to be in. Just be prepared for that.

From way back in 2010 with this thread HERE .

Really. TBH it's time you got over this and moved on. If you don't wish to help that's fine but your little rants need to stop.

Thank you

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 9th 2014 at 6:43 am.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

hi bevs and stephen davies
i hope you got sorted
you need to talk to the plumbers board and ask them to look at your qualifications they will properly say that they don't stand up to there low standards but if you feel that they are good enough perhaps talk to the plumbers federation and ask them to look into it as well

In my case the board told me that my qualifications were not as good as the NZ standard which really pissed me off so i refused to play there silly childish games, the auditor general and queens council said that i was unlawfully treated along with about a hundred more
so i was right to say you couldn't trust the plumbers board here
and i would say to anybody wanting to move here
you won't make a fortune
If you ran your own business in your country, it may be very upsetting coming to NZ to be treated badly by an incompetent plumbers board that doesn't, and won't understand business.
but if you never ran a business and have no thoughts what so ever of wanting to run your own business then i would say NZ would and could be great.
but you will have to then jump through hoops good luck
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

hi bevs
I fought the board and after 5/6 years I'm now able to do plumbing and gas ,
gas as a craftsman if want to but as i can't trust them i won't, but i tell others so that they know what they may have to put up with just because a system says its better doesn't mean they are right
Also its great what you do but Plumbers need to know the other side and the pitfalls
they to be informed and i know at least 6 uk plumbers that gave up and went home broken
if it was easy everybody would coming and be doing it
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:31 pm
`

Sigh , sigh and double sigh .

I see you still don't understand how it all works for NZ immigration

We ran our own UK business in the UK love so don't try to make out that my husband is somehow deficient. He is far from that as his progression in the NZ trade since 2004 shows.

You're news is very , very old news. The board you dealt with is no more and hasn't been for a good 5/8 years. There is a new board now.

It was and has always been very clear that you cannot run your own business unless you are or have an NZ craftsman standard plumber/gasfitter. If you are from overseas that will take the minimum of two years. If you didn't understand that way back when, then fine. We did understand it and only had access to the same sources as you.

The standards here are the exact same as for Australia.

Now. As this is an old thread and Stephen Davies posted over 18 months ago I am closing this thread.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:41 pm
`

We seem to have cross posted so I will add.....

I am pleased to read that you finally decided to sort yourself and your NZ quals out. There really was no other way if you wished to work in the trade.

If you worked in the trade for 5 years , you became entitled to sit the NZ registration exams and if you passed those then you would have become NZ registered. There was no need to make a fight at all. It was a matter of due process.

If you wish to become a craftsman gasfitter, you take the exam. Simple.

FYI - Plumbers and Gasfitters are no longer in shortage here in New Zealand so for that reason you won't see many coming out except perhaps a few for the Christchurch rebuild.

People , no matter what the occupation, do not need to read mini rants on pitfalls.

What they need is the information to make their own minds up.

I try to tell overseas plumbers what they can expect by way of assessment, exams, workmanship and the time and cost of all of this.

Also I ensure they know what sort of wage they can expect and how long before they might consider to become self-employed. I also write about how that may not be viable depending on where one is in NZ. Thereis only so much wort to go round and it is hardly boom time.

Now, you may feel that doesn't show the entire picture but your ranty posts and dire warnings are nothing more than you expounding about your hard done by self - yet again.

Big shame.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 4:41 am
`

I need to come back to this and will PM this poster.

Originally Posted by jd24hrs
I fought the board and after 5/6 years I'm now able to do plumbing and gas ,
gas as a craftsman if want to
jd24hrs.

I have checked the PGDB public register which is open to everyone.

I can see my husband there. I can see all the plumbers and gasfitters I know on there but no sign of you past or present.

It should be noted that I know this chaps name from previous messages and other communications he has made to me and to others int he trade here.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 9th 2014 at 4:52 am.