British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/)
-   -   Plumber wanting to move to NZ or Aus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/plumber-wanting-move-nz-aus-756869/)

stephendavies93 May 1st 2012 10:04 pm

Plumber wanting to move to NZ or Aus

Hey,

Im a 19 year old qualified plumber (NVQ2).

Went to college got my C&G Level 2 6129 in Domestic Plumbing. Then once that course was finished with, went out to the real work and completed my portfolio for my NVQ2 and got that signed off within the year through an apprenticeship. So I am currently a qualified plumber in the UK but can't touch gas.

I hold a 23 month Working Holiday Visa for New Zealand, plan is to leave in September. I just want to know where I stand at with Plumbing work in NZ and/or Australia?

I know to become certified in NZ you have to hold the equivalent qualifications but I don't know what that would be as I only have a NVQ2? Same with Australia? Ive heard about this TAFE which is if you hold the same equivalent qualifications you then have to register, take a theory test and then a practical test which totals $2000 NZD approx.

I don't hold a NVQ3 because I haven't wanted to get into gas yet, I just want to be standard plumber.

If anyone has any information on what to do? What qualifications you need? Or how to get them abroad and cost etc. would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

BEVS May 1st 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Plumber wanting to move to NZ or Aus

You will probably need an NVQ3 to match the New Zealand standard here.
Plumbers, gasfitters & drainlayers do 4 year apprenticeships so are time served. At the end of their 4 years they are still not considered fully qualified until they pass a further PGDB registration exam.
You'd need to show an equivalent to match the standard if you wished to try and become fully qualified and registered in New Zealand

PGDB - click the link.

If your NVQ2 didn't match the level required you would not be able to become NZ qualified or registered until you had completed an apprenticeship or further training . Your previous overseas course work would be taken into account through competency tests etc.

If your NVQ was deemed an equivalent to allow you to try for an NZ registration, you would need to spend the money to sit the PGDB registration exam and test of competency , just as the final year apprentices do.

You mention a WHV. There is nothing to stop you working within the plumbing trade here if you find some work. You and the NZ employer would apply for a limited license for you. That work would be signed off by an NZ registered plumber.

This wouldn't lead to you becoming NZ registered though . It would simply allow you to do this trade work under the terms of the WHV.

Please be aware that this trade isn't in shortage here in New Zealand & many tradies have been short of work for a couple of years now. My husband included.

johnknight001 May 2nd 2012 6:45 am

Originally Posted by stephendavies93 (Post 10036187)
Hey,

Im a 19 year old qualified plumber (NVQ2).

Went to college got my C&G Level 2 6129 in Domestic Plumbing. Then once that course was finished with, went out to the real work and completed my portfolio for my NVQ2 and got that signed off within the year through an apprenticeship. So I am currently a qualified plumber in the UK but can't touch gas.

I hold a 23 month Working Holiday Visa for New Zealand, plan is to leave in September. I just want to know where I stand at with Plumbing work in NZ and/or Australia?

I know to become certified in NZ you have to hold the equivalent qualifications but I don't know what that would be as I only have a NVQ2? Same with Australia? Ive heard about this TAFE which is if you hold the same equivalent qualifications you then have to register, take a theory test and then a practical test which totals $2000 NZD approx.

I don't hold a NVQ3 because I haven't wanted to get into gas yet, I just want to be standard plumber.

If anyone has any information on what to do? What qualifications you need? Or how to get them abroad and cost etc. would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

hi steve, unfortunatley the nvq 2 isnt high enough for aus or nz, as bev said maybe try looking at working as a plumbers mate or labourer in nz, you could try and do the nvq 3 in the uk, you dont have to do gas to complete a nvq 3 there is a option to not do the gas side of it, you would also need the 6129 level 3 as well to make a full framework qualification. personally if you already hold the working holiday visa id just ruck up and see what happens, you never know you may get in as a semi skilled or somthing, anyway good luck with it all mate.

stephendavies93 May 2nd 2012 8:14 am

Originally Posted by johnknight001 (Post 10036686)
hi steve, unfortunatley the nvq 2 isnt high enough for aus or nz, as bev said maybe try looking at working as a plumbers mate or labourer in nz, you could try and do the nvq 3 in the uk, you dont have to do gas to complete a nvq 3 there is a option to not do the gas side of it, you would also need the 6129 level 3 as well to make a full framework qualification. personally if you already hold the working holiday visa id just ruck up and see what happens, you never know you may get in as a semi skilled or somthing, anyway good luck with it all mate.

If I took the Level 3 6129 course would that get me in? Or would I have to do the Level 3 Course and the NVQ3?
Working as an apprentice in England is a complete joke with money earnt here! They can get away with murder pretty much.

Cheers
Steve

johnknight001 May 2nd 2012 8:46 am

Originally Posted by stephendavies93 (Post 10036762)
If I took the Level 3 6129 course would that get me in? Or would I have to do the Level 3 Course and the NVQ3?
Working as an apprentice in England is a complete joke with money earnt here! They can get away with murder pretty much.

Cheers
Steve

im pretty sure you need the 6129 and the 6089 nvq3 to make the full qualification, you probably need to speak to the relevant nz plumbing body, im more up on the aus side of things,

stephendavies93 May 2nd 2012 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by johnknight001 (Post 10036798)
im pretty sure you need the 6129 and the 6089 nvq3 to make the full qualification, you probably need to speak to the relevant nz plumbing body, im more up on the aus side of things,

Thanks for the info.

Is is the same in Aus then? You need the NVQ3?

The only last string I could think of would be is if I came to NZ with an apprenticeship? Say if I could start at being a 4th year apprentice and do two years worth of apprenticeship and then take the TAFE test after that? Vise versa with Australia.

Cheers
Steve

BEVS May 3rd 2012 1:45 am

I'm not sure where the acronym TAFE comes into it.

My personal opinion is that if you are using the WHV as a way to come to New Zealand and then hope to remain working as a plumber you would do better to get up to the NVQ3 level and then see if that qual & work experience will match the NZ standard. I doubt simply doing the course will do. You need the work experience and the NVQ to show the PGDB and NZQA.
Don't forget that apprentices here are on the tools , so alongside their coursework , block course assessments and training they are working in the trade every day. You would need to show similar.

Not sure if the PGDB would tell you what was required from your overseas quals as the way it works is you pay them money and then they tell you if it's systems go or not. I take it you looked at the PGDB application form. They want knowledge of the 5 years of on the tools experience alongside what overseas quals you hold.
The PGDB are aware that vocational training frameworks in other countries differ to NZ so I'm not sure if you would need the 'gas' part or not to be honest.

One way you might be able to tell is to put in a PAR at NZQA - click the links. Put in your final qual , pay the money of around 70 quid and come back to us with what NZ level they give you. It will show if it matches the NZ level or not. For this trade the level is pegged at 4 to be recognised as a skilled plumber by NZ Immigration and NZQA.

If you came here and managed to secure a job offer as an apprentice then you should know you would be paid very little. Not sure how you would survive financially on an apprentice wage. The further thing to consider is that plumbers are not in shortage here so anyone offering you a placement would need to explain to the Dept of Labour why that apprenticeship hasn't gone to a Kiwi or an NZ resident.

At the end of apprenticeship , they sit a block 3 week course. If all is passed they are issued the National Certificate. After that they are eligible to sit the PGDB registration exam past copies of which aqre on the website. Once passed, they can pay and apply for NZ PGDB registration.

NZ Apprenticeship Training Trust

A simple guide

As I said before though. At your age and with the WHV there is nothing to stop you coming here and hoping to find employment in the trade . You don't need NZ registration for that You might be able to find an NZ employer who would take you on as a plumbers mate and you would do this under a PGDB provisional license where all your work is supervised and signed off.

plumberpaul May 5th 2012 6:00 am

I've been in Perth, Australia for 3 months now and am a qualified plumber. I completed my trade apprenticeship in South Africa and soon moved over to London where I plumbed for 10 years. I also only had an NVQ 2 in plumbing without my gas certificates. I completed my Vetassesment prior to emigrating to Australia and have just completed a 2 week migrant plumbing course at TAFE as prescribed by the Western Australian plumbing licensing board for my tradespersons license. I now have my australian level 3 plumbing certificate - but without gas, so I am at a slight disadvantage because all Australian apprentices come out of training being gas qualified. I'll have to go back to TAFE and do a 3.5 week gas course at a cost of about $2000.

stephendavies93 May 6th 2012 4:51 pm

Cheers Paul, Think I shall go on my travels and go from there, May have to come home work for a few years and then see about Migrating. Who know's though! Cheers Steve

BEVS May 8th 2012 3:29 am

Originally Posted by johnknight001 (Post 10036798)

Well John. I have to ask myself why I bothered to spend my time responding to the OP , for all the acknowledgement my effort received.

BEVS
Wife of a time served plumber & gasfitter + 35 yr exp in his trade.
Who ran own P&G business in the UK for years.
Who successfully did own SMC application to enable us both to live and work in NZ &
who helped and still helps dyslexic OH to upskill to the point of being able to answer most P&G questions on PGDB exam papers.
:frown:

stephendavies93 May 8th 2012 8:40 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10047248)
Well John. I have to ask myself why I bothered to spend my time responding to the OP , for all the acknowledgement my effort received.

BEVS
Wife of a time served plumber & gasfitter + 35 yr exp in his trade.
Who ran own P&G business in the UK for years.
Who successfully did own SMC application to enable us both to live and work in NZ &
who helped and still helps dyslexic OH to upskill to the point of being able to answer most P&G questions on PGDB exam papers.
:frown:

Cheers & Well Done Bev! I presume that's the thanks your looking for.

burbschook May 8th 2012 8:49 pm

Nothing like sincerity. How's about a genuine thank you to BEVS who took the time to assist you.... or better still do it yourself & save the sarcasm for the officials...

stephendavies93 May 8th 2012 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Vikkichic (Post 10048873)

Nothing like sincerity. How's about a genuine thank you to BEVS who took the time to assist you.... or better still do it yourself & save the sarcasm for the officials...

I do apolagise, I orginally thought I had said thanks but reading back I hadn't. So focused on sorting things out. Not that it excuses my actions. However it doesn't help matters if you go looking for a 'Thanks'. Like I said it doesn't excuse it.

Thanks for everyone's imput.

Cheers
Steve

BEVS May 9th 2012 1:15 am

Charming.
You managed the time & effort to make a 'thanks' for the 2 other posters efforts yet I get sarcasm :rolleyes:

For the record. I wasn't looking for a 'thanks' from you. I was commenting to JohnKnight001 that I may as well not have bothered.

An acknowledgement when people offer their free time and help is simply polite. We all do it . It's part of what makes our wee BE cyber communities work so well. It costs nothing but shows the person that has try to help that they are not invisible & that their efforts are appreciated.

You know what? New Zealand is , in general, a polite nation. There is a lot of good manners here in everyday life. You may want to think on.

BEVS May 9th 2012 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Vikkichic (Post 10048873)

Nothing like biting the hand that feeds you eh? Here is an odd co-incidence. Husband's firm will most likely be looking for a couple of likely lads in the next few months apparently. Am I going to offer to pass on the details . Nopes.:lol: