Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

Pipefitting Canada/New Zealand

Pipefitting Canada/New Zealand

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pipefitting Canada/New Zealand

December last year I was knocked back from a plumbing firm in alberta for not having city and guild level 2 in plumbing and a lack of experience (57 months). by March 2014 I will have the required 72,

However, my qualification is NVQ level 3 Heating and Ventilation commercial and industrial pipefitting, which in Britain never impeded me taking plumbing and pipefitting jobs from domestic to commercial to industrial.

The alberta institute of training said my qualifications were not suitable for plumbing.

Does this mean I cannot apply for plumbing work,and I am only limited to commercial and industrial work?

Furthermore it has been sometime since I looked at the job market is there still demand for pipefitting/plumbing?

Finally a friend of my dads is currently immigrating to New Zealand and has told me they are still in need of English speaking trades there, and that if Canada fails me again I would be better at looking to NZ. any NZ pipefitters/plumbers tell me how the land lies I would be grateful.

despite this forum being incredibly inactive at times I hope that I can get some answers here before pestering people on the ~NZ or Canada forums.

kind regards

wardy
Old Sep 8th 2013, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all
Default Re: Pipefitting Canada/New Zealand

hi
I cant help on the Canada front or nz, however im in Australia and one of the things here is the licence and quals side of things, nothings recognized and you mostly have to retrain, you can use you uk quals for the purpose of immigration but it stops there, I believe a heat and vent city and guilds isn't suitable for plumbing, I used to teach the qual in the uk and ive heard of guys being knocked back because it isn't a plumbing qual. try a good immigration lawyer for help, at least you will know for definite.
good luck.
john
Old Sep 12th 2013, 1:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Plumbers ,gasfitters & drainlayers are not currently in shortage here in New Zealand .
All are licensed trades and for emigration purposes you would need to hold comparable quals to those here to be able to gain points under a skilled migrant category.

Please have a read of PGDB of NZ.

Also, have a mooch about HERE at ANZSCO and come back with the occupation that best suits your trade quals and relevant work experiences to those quals.

You wouldn't be pestering us on the open forums. That's what they are for. Help and support.

Are you hoping to emigrate permanently or are you simply looking to work elsewhere for a few years ?
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

I apologise BEVS I had not for some reason had any email notifications telling me you both responded thanks in advance for responding.

I was hoping to emigrate permanently, I had heard that Christchurch was picking back up, I don't mind retraining at all but finding a firm on the internet is difficult, the new Zealanders I spoke to said I would quite easily find work but you have to just pack up and wing it over there.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:27 pm
`

No worries Wardy_1990.
It can be hard to remember this area is here for us lot too.

I agree about the boots on ground approach. We did this too ten years ago. Not a WHV . Far too old. Himself came out to get job offers and then took up a temp work visa to get him started. We went from there. So many do , so you are totally on the right track.

Not sure about the re-train as such. It is more about coming into line with NZ ways , rules and regs.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

temp work visa? did he get a job offer?

its getting late here and I am up in 5 hours hope you don't mind if I pick your brains some more another time.

many thanks wardy
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:55 am
`

Yes. He got several job offers but that was a decade ago.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Much work in his area now? He self employed or with the same firm
Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:34 pm
`

It was very quiet for a few years Wardy_1990. Short working hours etc. The last 18 months it has picked up though & is much better.
If it continues , perhaps plumber/gasfitter will reappear on the NZIS shortages lists.
Himself mostly works on new builds. He moved firms from the one he started with and has remained with this firm. No plans to go completely self-employed as such . Had a gutsful of that back in the UK. We let someone else do the stressing now.

Christchurch should become busier and busier I feel. However as a pipefitter you might find work around New Plymouth area where the gas/oil is.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks for the new Plymouth bit, with everything coming under plumber I was beginning to think they had no powerstations mines or oil/gas/petrochemical works, good to hear its picking back up, I amtrapped between going to Canada for 1 year and finding work but unsure of the lifestyle or waiting and going to NZ for 2 years on WHV in the hope I can find work, I am a big fan of sailing and mountaineering hence why I would like NZ
Old Nov 20th 2013, 10:04 pm
`

I can't speak for Canada but with New Zealand you get a little bit of everything.

In any case , if it didn't suit , you could move onto Canada or vice versa. The world is there for you.

Ask about NZ lifestyle in the NZ forum. Plenty of folk happy to share.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 6:47 pm
Banned

steve.brown13@hotmail.co. is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been a plumber/pipefitter in england for 10 years and ive also worked in canada for 2 years. the problem ive got is im trying to get back to canada but this time i need a job before i get there, my previous work in canada work frew the union and they excepted i was a pipefitter even thow i served my time in domestic gas because the guy had lived in england and could back my story up i was lucky
does my gas qualification only allow me to do gas in canada or like england is it excepted i can plumb or do pipefitting???

thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Na then browny, small world mate!
just got in touch with a company who helped me out to see if I can pass her email on to you, if I hadn't had chosen Calgary they wa gonna send me to Lethbridge only hour n half up road and seems now a lot cheaper and possibly better option.

but its all about getting boot in door, I will ask around at my work as well if there willing to do anymore LMOs to get you over, will also ask around for any other companies that are taking on, you might wanna add chris Wildman on facebook n all n see if he has any old contacts. chin up mate you'll get here one way or other

if you end up looking at New Zealand BEVS is the best when it comes to help, also look at canstaff.

Big pete
Old Jun 1st 2014, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

george82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi guys I'm also in the process of looking to immigrate and again I'm torn between nz aus or Canada we are leaning towards Canada as my brother lives in New York and means we could see more of them and vice versa. As a plumber gas fitter I'm finding it hard to get the foot In The door approach as it's a big ask for some ppl. I currently run and operate my own firm here but would drop it all for a better future for my kids. If there's any recommendations of firms to try please let me know cheers guys. Also tried going for pipe fitting jobs but they don't seem to like my quals for that even though I have a lot of experience in commercial work.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by george82
Hi guys I'm also in the process of looking to immigrate and again I'm torn between nz aus or Canada we are leaning towards Canada as my brother lives in New York and means we could see more of them and vice versa. As a plumber gas fitter I'm finding it hard to get the foot In The door approach as it's a big ask for some ppl. I currently run and operate my own firm here but would drop it all for a better future for my kids. If there's any recommendations of firms to try please let me know cheers guys. Also tried going for pipe fitting jobs but they don't seem to like my quals for that even though I have a lot of experience in commercial work.
You've been out to Canada and job hunted in person? As you'll no doubt know from reading the Wiki, that's the best (and sometimes only) way to do it.

Alternatively, apply for PR so that you're work authorised and don't need an employer to go through the cost/hassle/paperwork of a LMO app, although you may well still need to go to Canada to find a job even with PR.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.