Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

I'm about to start a plumbing course

I'm about to start a plumbing course

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

HullCityFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm about to start a plumbing course

Could anybody tell me if doing a plumbing course and getting the qualifications would be enough to get me out of britain?

or would i need a few years experience of doing the job first?

Thanks.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

chris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nice
Default Re: I'm about to start a plumbing course

Originally Posted by HullCityFan
Could anybody tell me if doing a plumbing course and getting the qualifications would be enough to get me out of britain?

or would i need a few years experience of doing the job first?

Thanks.
this is what i found mate this applies to austrailia at least

Skill Pathway B issues can arise though in the context of 900 hours of Formal Training. Having discussed this issue more than once with TRA and lodged applications for UK based clients on the basis of these discussions, our experience is that applicants who have qualifications that are equivalent to UK NVQ Level 2 (or higher) are being assessed as meeting the Formal Training requirement.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

McLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really nice

hi chris i just read your answer and wondered if you mind giving me your opinion on this.....
my hubby is doing a distant laearning plumbing course recognised and backed by the government he has 3 weeks of practical exams also and will acheive nvq level 3 with the 2 certs (6125 and another one their prob the wrong numbers but its something like that) he is also doing 2-3 days a week practical work with a plumber fitting boilers, bathrooms etc can you tell me what you think of this situation and are we likely to get into oz? if so how much exp should or does he need to have? any help would really be appreciated cheers
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

To meet the requirements for New Zealand you would need NVQ3 / C&G3 or higher, plus proof of training and on the job experience. It needs to be seen as equivalent to the NZ national certificate. Most plumbers here are trained via 4 year apprenticeships & gain NZ national certification before being allowed to become registered. They become registered after sitting further exams.

PGDB of NZ.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 3:42 am
Curse you aqua scum

PaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by McLeans
hi chris i just read your answer and wondered if you mind giving me your opinion on this.....
my hubby is doing a distant laearning plumbing course recognised and backed by the government he has 3 weeks of practical exams also and will acheive nvq level 3 with the 2 certs (6125 and another one their prob the wrong numbers but its something like that) he is also doing 2-3 days a week practical work with a plumber fitting boilers, bathrooms etc can you tell me what you think of this situation and are we likely to get into oz? if so how much exp should or does he need to have? any help would really be appreciated cheers
when you get to oz you have to take more exams as yours wont be accepted , as i have done a formal apprenticeship and i still have to do new exams to meet oz standerds
Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

chris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nicechris notts forest is just really nice

Originally Posted by PaddyHaHa
when you get to oz you have to take more exams as yours wont be accepted , as i have done a formal apprenticeship and i still have to do new exams to meet oz standerds
you just have to do youre plumbing licence thats all which can be done in 6 months to 1 year i have just come back from ozz last month and i return on the 27th dec as i got a sponsor whilst i was over there and start (taffe )(college in january so i no how long it takes) but i will be working on a prov licence until i get my full licence
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:18 am
Curse you aqua scum

PaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chris notts forest
you just have to do youre plumbing licence thats all which can be done in 6 months to 1 year i have just come back from ozz last month and i return on the 27th dec as i got a sponsor whilst i was over there and start (taffe )(college in january so i no how long it takes) but i will be working on a prov licence until i get my full licence

all well and good but i cant find anybody to give me a go so am working as a labourer. also the advertiser in Adelaide ran a story on monday 3rd saying 40% of immigrants cant get work:curse::curse:
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PaddyHaHa
all well and good but i cant find anybody to give me a go so am working as a labourer. also the advertiser in Adelaide ran a story on monday 3rd saying 40% of immigrants cant get work:curse::curse:
have you got youre plumbing licence mate? what visa are you on?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:43 am
`

I'm a bit shocked by this.

Plumbing is a trade.

My husband did a 4 year UK C&G apprenticeship plus another year to get a craftsman standard. He is a fully qualified plumber and gasfitter.
In New Zealand you must do the same & as an overseas plumber/gasfitter you wouldn't be allowed to become registered without proving your standard.

Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

McLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really nice

i understand where your coming from but the problem in the uk is that there simply dont seem to be enough lads entering apprenticeships as its becoming more popular to stay on and get higher exams. so due to that reason there is becoming a shortage of tradesmen not just plumbers. my husband is 32 and tried for over a year to get a company to take him on as an apprentice, he offered to work every saturday for nothing guaranteed his attendance unlike half the 17 yeras old they take even offered to pay the shortfall in money they would get from the government to train him, he would of happily worked for minimum wage, but no not a thing. half the companies werent interested when they knew his age and the rest didnt even bother to get back to him! there was no reason not to take on an adult apprentice here in scotland the government provides funding for up to 30 adults every yera and we were informed at that point there was still funding available, we had all the college and funding side fixed he just needed a company to take him on. it was ahuge kick in the teeth to be honest. so we had no other option than to do this course hes doing right now. luckily he is training with a friend who is a registered plumber one day a week and who is helping with all his course work as the amount of work is phenomenol. he has 3 weeks of practical exams to sit which he needs to go to leeds for- we live in edinburgh another cost. he has tutors on hand he can phone for help and is doing homework evry night for about 2 hours. please believe me if he could of got an apprenticeship he would have done it my husbands a very hard worker and i believe its those companies that have missed out on a good opportunity. but it wasnt to be so here we are, hoping and praying that when he finishes his exams and course work a company will look differently and take him on even as a junior plumber, and all this work wont be for nothing
kelly x
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:24 pm
`

Thanks for the insight into what is now happening in the UK. I am still shocked but now I am shocked that you have a willing and able bloke there who could not manage to obtain the type of training he really wanted so has needed to go through hoops to get it another way. Fair play to you .

The plumbing board of New Zealand often denigrates the current training of UK plumbers & feels the UK is not producing the same standard of plumbing /gasfitting tradesman. That is it's perspective.

This is the type of course that they totally scoff at, whereby it is claimed one can become a plumber in just a few weeks/months of 'intensive' training and that an NVQ2 means one is a plumber. Of course, as your husband will know , that just isn't possible

The PGDB - plumbing board of new zealand - will actually seize on this type of thing to use as negative propaganda with their New Zealand plumbers and gasfitters here. They use such courses to illustrate that the UK tradesman is rubbish compared to the NZ version. It makes me spit . Completely spit. Of course, it speaks volumes that they feel the need to denigrate at all.

I have attached a copy of an article by the current PGDB registrar . This person was actually the chairman of the PGDB at one point but was sacked along with all of the , then, board members . How this person then becomes registrar beats me.

HERE is a copy of the foot and mouth report he refers to . The outbreak happened in 2001. 7 years ago.

One wonders when they will report on similar problems that have arisen here in NZ the past couple of years or so

Perhaps they need to look at their own maintenance policies rather than pointing the finger outward.

I do agree with them that to be a fully qualified plumber/gasfitter one needs lengthy and detailed training plus on the tools experience picked up over a few years . I don't agree with the way they spin the business of UK quick courses to make it seem that ALL UK plumbing/gasfitting tradesmen are of a basic NVQ2 standard. They should quantity that by stating that to be fully qualified and certified in the UK one must attain the C&G3

The NZ apprentices are, for the most part doing distance learning and they then attend block courses and assessments. During that time they work in plumbing firms gaining whatever on the tools experience is available. This seems similar to what your own husband is doing.

My husband's plumbing and gasfitting quals and on the tools experience far outstrips any of the NZ home growns around him. Is this level of UK tradesman acknowledged by the PGDB of NZ ? Is it heck. The NZ lot would rather stick pins in their eyes.

Anyone wanting to come to New Zealand & work in this trade should make sure they go the whole hog and become a fully certified plumbing and gasfitter tradesman, (C&G/NVQ3) ideally with 5 years on the tools experience behind them. One can include the training years.

A gold JIB-PMES card would help underpin the level attained. Also having sat the CSCS H&S test would also be beneficial. One doesn't need to have either the PMES card nor sit the H&S test but it just adds to the training and standard achieved.

Of course, for gas, one needs CORGI.

I do hope that your husband goes onto find a company that can recognise his true value. If you are doing this in order to finally emigrate somewhere, I wish you every success in achieving this.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 25th 2012 at 3:20 am.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

thankyou we are doing this to emigrate so we truly hope its all worh it x
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:05 pm
`

It will be. Someone always wants a good quality plumber.

Have some karma .