Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

Plumber wanting to move to Perth.

Plumber wanting to move to Perth.

Old Feb 16th 2016, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Brianc1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plumber wanting to move to Perth.

Hello

I'm currently a fully qualified plumber in Manchester with nvq level 2 and 3 and gas registered. Completed the 4 year course at Warrington collegiate and have over 7 years experience. Wanting to move to Perth Australia and was wondering if qualifications I have would I be able to use them in Perth to be a plumber/gas fitter. Or would I need further training? As England and Australia may be different? Any help would be great.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 6:24 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumber wanting to move to Perth.

Originally Posted by Brianc1989
Hello

I'm currently a fully qualified plumber in Manchester with nvq level 2 and 3 and gas registered. Completed the 4 year course at Warrington collegiate and have over 7 years experience. Wanting to move to Perth Australia and was wondering if qualifications I have would I be able to use them in Perth to be a plumber/gas fitter. Or would I need further training? As England and Australia may be different? Any help would be great.
Hi and welcome to BE

Are you looking to make a permanent move or just temporary?

If this is just temporary (Working Holiday) then you would be better to look at alternative work as plumbing is a licensed trade. To work as a plumber you would need a skills assessment to assess your current quals and experience (which also includes a practical assessment) and is costly and time consuming.

Not sure on whether or not this then gets you a full license or not as not a plumber but for sparks you still only get a supervised license until you have completed gap training and a period of supervised employment. Hopefully some of the plumbers can help with that stage.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

mate if you are still interested pm me and ill give you honest news from someone who has been there done it and is still doing it.
Cheers.Chris.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 8:33 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris1386
mate if you are still interested pm me and ill give you honest news from someone who has been there done it and is still doing it.
Cheers.Chris.
New members don't have access to the pm system Chris, but also, if you post in open forum, then the information is available to everyone interested in this route
Old Aug 17th 2016, 4:37 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

I'd be interested in the amount of work for plumbers in WA as we had a lot of problems in QLD back in 2009 finding work (despite 20+years of experience!) and wondered if it is different in another state as we are considering returning.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

IamBatman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris1386
Cheers.Chris.
Hi Chris,

I would also be interested in any advice you might have.

I am considering the move myself for what I hope to be a better quality of life for my wife and 2 kids (7&3). I am a plumber / gas fitter to trade and My wife is a nurse and should also qualify on the 189 visa (I think). We both have family in different parts of Australia so perhaps having them sponsor us would be better I don't know if one way is better than the other perhaps you could advise?

I have read a few other posts making people aware that getting a job can be somewhat of a challenge to say the least. Anyway I won't ramble on to much but any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 4:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamBatman
Hi Chris,

I would also be interested in any advice you might have.

I am considering the move myself for what I hope to be a better quality of life for my wife and 2 kids (7&3). I am a plumber / gas fitter to trade and My wife is a nurse and should also qualify on the 189 visa (I think). We both have family in different parts of Australia so perhaps having them sponsor us would be better I don't know if one way is better than the other perhaps you could advise?

I have read a few other posts making people aware that getting a job can be somewhat of a challenge to say the least. Anyway I won't ramble on to much but any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
If you can get a 189 forget any ideas of sponsorship. Much easier much more freedom to live wherever and work wherever.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

IamBatman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you can get a 189 forget any ideas of sponsorship. Much easier much more freedom to live wherever and work wherever.
Ahhh perfect I wasn't sure if a sponsorship visa limited your movements or not. Thanks for the speedy response much appreciated 👍🏻
Old Jan 4th 2017, 4:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamBatman
Ahhh perfect I wasn't sure if a sponsorship visa limited your movements or not. Thanks for the speedy response much appreciated 👍🏻
It can do, depending on the type of sponsorship. A 189 is the best if you can qualify for it as yu have total freedom, no involvement of any sponsors at all.