Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

Any Plumbing in OZ success stories

Any Plumbing in OZ success stories

Old May 28th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all
Default Re: Any Plumbing in OZ success stories

dont tell me you play ping pom for a hobby
Old May 28th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Certainly looks that way, just hadnt realised how addictive it can be

Originally Posted by johnknight001
dont tell me you play ping pom for a hobby
Old May 28th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

out of interest why aus after trying nz
Old May 28th 2008, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

out of interest why aus after trying nz

NZ just wasnt right, for various reasons, some were wrong place wrong time, naivity, family issues. Just didnt feel right, at the point we made the decision to return we kinda had to for personal reasons, we had looked at the option of staying for citizenship then going across the sea, but at that point in time we felt it best to return, trouble is once you do you look at things with different eyes, and I think to an extent that we have outgrown the place we both grew up in, and the way its going is not something we want to be a part of. I'm not saying that maybe Aus is right, but hey life is what you make it and if you aint happy you have to look at what the issues are and what you want to achieve, and where best you think these can be dealt with. So what the heck, we have enuff points etc., just the financial side of things to deal with, and who knows....
Old May 28th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

fair play to you, we are not much different, i have always lived and worked abroad, i dont have any reall isues here apart from the usuall, i just know that the uk is not the be all and end all, life is for living and all that. there have been some good and promising posts recently for plumbing and it all looks reasonable to go for it. is your husband self employed or working for a company.
john
Old May 28th 2008, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

fair play to you, we are not much different, i have always lived and worked abroad, i dont have any reall isues here apart from the usuall, i just know that the uk is not the be all and end all, life is for living and all that. there have been some good and promising posts recently for plumbing and it all looks reasonable to go for it. is your husband self employed or working for a company.
john

Currently self employed, has been for about 3 years, but worked employed prior to that, he is also on Corgi's register as an inspector - again contract work. Do I understand that by having being Corgi registered it will make it easier working in Aus ???
Trudi
Old May 28th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

from what i gather it only means you can get your gas licence easier, but there is not a great deal of natural gas work, apparantly its the plumbers licence that you need, are you going the vettasses route for plumbing or tra for gas.
Old May 28th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

from what i gather it only means you can get your gas licence easier, but there is not a great deal of natural gas work, apparantly its the plumbers licence that you need, are you going the vettasses route for plumbing or tra for gas.

To be honest I dont know, we havent looked into the finer details of it, only really made a decision to go into the process over the past few days, having been thinking about it for a while. Currently doing alot of reading and reading and reading, you know how it is. How diff is the work to the UK ?? Is it any diff to NZ ??? He did work there for a while, had to brush up on his brazing skills, took him back to his college days.....
Old May 28th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

i think the most common route now is the vettasses route for general plumber, it is supposed to allow you easy access to a provisional licence once there, also required for immigration for trade recognition, however i believe you can go another route and use the gas quals but how that would affect you getting work in plumbing i dont know. john
Old May 29th 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough

Stop hijacking my thread!......Just kidding
Old May 29th 2008, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandoz
Stop hijacking my thread!......Just kidding

... crawls away to hide under a rock
Old May 30th 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

... crawls away to hide under a rock

No....get back over here...its always good to talk to those in same situation

Originally Posted by flumper
I'm a plumber and have been here for over 3 years, got work very quickly left that job and got another who I worked for over a year.
Now have my own plumbing business doing well.
I know 3 other british plumbers in this area 1 working for himself and 2 working for companies so it can be done and it's not all doom and gloom although it has to be said there is a lot of shit in getting your licences pardon the pun!
Thanks for taking the time to reply! As one of the posters said it's so good to hear from those who are doing well. Its not going to be the easiest road, but its not impossible.
We were thinking two- three years to get to the 'own business' stage, but were worrying about getting work in the interim on just a provisional licence.

Do you know what sort of pay is available when employed on the prov licence? We are a family of four so need for a fair income and avialable work is paramount.

Btw where abouts on the sunshine coast are you?

Thanks again
M
Old May 30th 2008, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Also thought you all might be interestes in this thread here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404770 sorry dont know how to do links
Old May 30th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

or maybe I do??? (scratches head) flooked it!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Colly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really nice

Listen guys, we have just got notice of our visa (Thursday 3rd July) we hope to be in Australia (Brisbane) by end of October. Promise to post on this thread because I've hoped at some point along the way some plumber would post his experience good or bad. Good luck with the process.

Colin and Gillian