Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

Any Perth Plumbers out there??!!!!!!

Any Perth Plumbers out there??!!!!!!

Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all
Default Any Perth Plumbers out there??!!!!!!

Hi guys,
Can any of you plumbers out there in Perth share your success (or not!!) stories? How do you find the work? What sort of plumbing do you do? What are wages like, subbie, employed, own business? How long to get to grips with the way they do things? I will be back over there by Feb next year already have licence just need the experience! Anyone recommend any decent firms to contact? Will be either NOR or in the Hills.
Thanks all!
Dan
Old Oct 6th 2007, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

BallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any Perth Plumbers out there??!!!!!!

Hi dan I'll use this thread in future.
Cheers Biddy
Old Oct 6th 2007, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

KELSEY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi DAN!
How did u get ur licence?
Thanks Kelsey x
Old Oct 7th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by KELSEY
Hi DAN!
How did u get ur licence?
Thanks Kelsey x
When I was there last time. Had to submit my NVQ along with proof of experience for 4 years (in the way of employer references) then simply went on a one day assessment course - both theory and practical and was issued with a trdemans licence. This means I can work 'under the guidance of the holder of a plumbers licence'. Basically I can't go self employed until I have got a plumbers licence ( used to be 6 years experience - which I now have) but unsure if the rules have changed.
I would strongly recommend a bit of practice before the assessment on oxy acetylene as this is what they use ( hard solder). I had used one at college years before for lead work and honestly didnt have a clue! Made a complete mess of the joints etc but they didnt leak so I guess it was a pass although not good to look at!!
From what I have heard Scottish SNVQ qualifications or similar don't seem to need the assessment. Perhaps they do things differently up Biddy??!! Used to be 4 years experience but again this may have changed.
As to my original thread there doesn't seem to be anyone on BE who is a Plumber in Perth! Amazing! When I get there I will carry this thread on giving my experience of it all - but would love someone to help us out in the meantime!!
Dan
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks Dan,
the info was fab! I don't think we have a cat in hells chance now that i've read it though. Den paid privately to get his CITY AND GUILDS,
it cost us over 3,000 pounds. He's been plumbing for 4months self employed after starting our own business. We took the risk because he's been doing plumbing jobs for friends and their friends for 10yrs and he has loads of contacts, including a friend who's a property developer. The thing is on paper it's like he's a novice but in reality his workmanship and standards are fantastic. He does complete bathrooms including tiling and sometimes construction. I know i'm his no1 fan but he's so talented. All we need to make our lives complete, is the move to oz. If only someone would give us a chance. I hope all goes well for you Dan and thanks again.
Kels x
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Dan,
the info was fab! I don't think we have a cat in hells chance now that i've read it though. Den paid privately to get his CITY AND GUILDS,
it cost us over 3,000 pounds. He's been plumbing for 4months self employed after starting our own business. We took the risk because he's been doing plumbing jobs for friends and their friends for 10yrs and he has loads of contacts, including a friend who's a property developer. The thing is on paper it's like he's a novice but in reality his workmanship and standards are fantastic. He does complete bathrooms including tiling and sometimes construction. I know i'm his no1 fan but he's so talented. All we need to make our lives complete, is the move to oz. If only someone would give us a chance. I hope all goes well for you Dan and thanks again.
Kels x
Hi Kels,
Thanks for that and all the best for you too. You know you could always ask someone to put something on headed paper!! I don't know much about Visas, TRA etc as I was born in Australia, but its not necessarily the qualification on paper rather than the experience. 10 years is a long time if you caould say you worked doing that part time or something?!
Aussie plumbing (at least in Perth) is so different, each aspect of the trade that we do, ie, fitting a bath, taps etc seems to be done seperately there. Like someone 'first fixes' a house, next someone fits bath, gets tiled (seperate trade and licence altogether!!) someone fits taps, someone does gas and so on. Dependant on your circumstances there is always the apprenticeship route - or poss college I think they do now part time. Or again become a plumbers mate til enough experience to get licence.
Anyway hope it works out for you,
Dan
Old Oct 7th 2007, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Dan! Den is 39yrs old and we have two teenagers. I don't think an apprenticeship route will pay enough to support the family. We have £100,000 to bring to oz for a property and I don't want to eat into it, if I can Help it, you know topping up low paid wages etc.
However we have just made an appointment in England with an Australian migration comp, they are coming over in Oct, fingers crossed although she's already said not enough points for skilled.
Have you tried other forum sites Dan?
Thanks for trying to help us!!!!
Kels xx
Old Oct 7th 2007, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheers Dan! Den is 39yrs old and we have two teenagers. I don't think an apprenticeship route will pay enough to support the family. We have £100,000 to bring to oz for a property and I don't want to eat into it, if I can Help it, you know topping up low paid wages etc.
However we have just made an appointment in England with an Australian migration comp, they are coming over in Oct, fingers crossed although she's already said not enough points for skilled.
Have you tried other forum sites Dan?
Thanks for trying to help us!!!!
Kels xx
Yeah apprenticeship prob not a good option! Go for plumbers mate just to get experience even if you can't get into australia on that work option! Not tried any other forums - do you know of any?
Old Oct 7th 2007, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Dan,
******** is a gud forum also -- less job offers but advice and contacts cud b useful
Take Care and c u on there!
Kels x
Old Oct 7th 2007, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Dan my web address is [email protected] x