Well done HMRC

Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Well done HMRC

Just thought i'd let us expats know HMRC can do things correctly! I submitted my Self Assessment online last Tuesday evening. Yesterday got an email from HMRC to say there was a secure message for me. Logged into Government Gateway to find refund approved and will be sent to UK bank in next few days! I registered for HMRC paperless notifications some time ago and it works brilliantly. They send you an email , you log into the Government Gateway using the code they text to your mobile and bingo! No waiting weeks for a letter to arrive by snail mail.The only problem I can see is if you want to register from here, you are beggared because they send you an activation code by mail which has to be used within 7 days. It may be possible to register from here as they may send the activation code to your mobile. Don't know but would be interesting for someone to find out!
Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well done HMRC

Tried it in Canada does not work,
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52
Tried it in Canada does not work,
That's what I suspected. I enrolled years ago before we left UK and all contact details are for here in Cebu. There must be lots of Expats who would like to enrol and I wonder if there is a way. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll call them and ask!
I do say to any UK citizen - enrol yourself before you leave UK , it saves a lot of hassle - especially here where snail mail often takes weeks to arrive, if at all!
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Just done a google. https://www.gov.uk/government-gateway

It says an activation code can be sent by mail OR email and has longer activation time if you live abroad.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Me again. It says you can email the help desk if you have problems with getting to login etc. Look for Self Assessment. Government Gateway Help
Old Jun 19th 2017, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the understanding that if you considered yourself 'non resident' you could not complete your tax return on line because the non residency form was not available.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I was under the understanding that if you considered yourself 'non resident' you could not complete your tax return on line because the non residency form was not available.
Not quite true. you cannot use the free HMRC online forms but you can use one of the approved commercial packages. I use TaxCalc , and have for many years. OK it costs £30 this year but is simple to use and allows you to file online. It has ALL the supplementary forms , including SA109 for non residents.It does all the calculations for you. HMRC have a list of approved companies on their website but here's TaxCalc https://www.taxcalc.com/ They are very good at getting back to you if you have queries. took me about 25minutes this year once I had the figures to hand - it transfers details such as name/address/UTR etc from previous years. HTH.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Update - Refund in my UK bank account this morning! Waiter - more beer!
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Not quite true. you cannot use the free HMRC online forms but you can use one of the approved commercial packages. I use TaxCalc , and have for many years. OK it costs £30 this year but is simple to use and allows you to file online. It has ALL the supplementary forms , including SA109 for non residents.It does all the calculations for you. HMRC have a list of approved companies on their website but here's TaxCalc https://www.taxcalc.com/ They are very good at getting back to you if you have queries. took me about 25minutes this year once I had the figures to hand - it transfers details such as name/address/UTR etc from previous years. HTH.
Thanks for that, it looks the business. For the next few years I shall be using my company accountants but after that I will be using them.