Terrorists

Old Jul 1st 2017, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

kompani101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Terrorists

I live in a small village in Capiz, Panay Island, about 3 hours drive north of the police station that was overrun and weapons taken several days ago. My brother-in-law has just telephoned, Saturday 20:15hrs, to advise me not to go out after dark, keep our gates locked at all times, there is talk on the streets. We have just increased our security at the house but this is a little concerning. I'm sure it's just street gossip but I thought I'd post the info anyway.
Take care.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrorists

Originally Posted by kompani101
I live in a small village in Capiz, Panay Island, about 3 hours drive north of the police station that was overrun and weapons taken several days ago. My brother-in-law has just telephoned, Saturday 20:15hrs, to advise me not to go out after dark, keep our gates locked at all times, there is talk on the streets. We have just increased our security at the house but this is a little concerning. I'm sure it's just street gossip but I thought I'd post the info anyway.
Take care.
living just 45 mins drive West of you, thanks for the info. Not heard anything here but that is not unusual. Just put the dogs on extra rations so any movement in the bushes will be seen as a threat to their bonus grub and will be dealt with accordingly.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
living just 45 mins drive West of you, thanks for the info. Not heard anything here but that is not unusual. Just put the dogs on extra rations so any movement in the bushes will be seen as a threat to their bonus grub and will be dealt with accordingly.
Our dogs are out in the grounds too. Stay safe.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Update 02-July
We called at the main police station for Roxas City this morning and spoke with one of the plainclothes officers. She assured us that all was quiet in Capiz and nothing above or beyond the normal activity was happening. She gave me the stations direct number and said to use it in preference to the general '911' emergency number.
We shall also call in my local police station in Panay town early this week and reintroduce ourselves and have a chat. The last time we called in was October last year to get an insurance claim form completed and I was pleased they knew about us and our house, reassuring.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

I forgot to add the direct telephone numbers for:
Roxas City Police Station
Land (036) 6210 222
Mobile 0929 7617 482
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 5:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sounds dreadful.

What's happening to make it this way.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Sounds dreadful.

What's happening to make it this way.
Potted history of the last few weeks;
1. Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has declared martial law for 60 days over the southern island Mindanao and adjacent Sulu Sea to smooth a fight against the Maute Group, who are Muslim rebels suspected of plotting terrorist acts. This is a couple of islands over from my location so no huge problem. Our island, Panay, hasn't had any serious terrorist activity since the 70's.
2. Then this happened two hours drive from our house - worth noting the armed police in the station did nothing and did not fight back!!;
NPA raids Iloilo police station ยป Manila Bulletin News
2a. More attacks where planned.
PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News
3. The UK FCO revised its travel information for the Philippines to a little more serious/cautious.
4. Last night we had a telephone call from mu brother-in-law, a very sensible chap, advising us to stay indoors after dark due to potential activity in our province of Capiz.
5. My chat with the local police has put our mind at ease a little but we have increased our home security from high to very high over the past few weeks as a precaution.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

In fairness the NPA do not have a history of activity against foreigners. The only exemptions have been chinoy who were accused of abuse of employees and locals when running their operations. Their view is they have an argument with their government not foreigners. This i got first hand from the daughter of the head of the NPA in Bukidnon.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information. I am sure we are OK but I would rather play it safe for peace of mind especially for our family here and also back in the UK. Prior to this incident in Maasin there had not been a terrorist related incident on Panay Island going back to the 1970's, I had been informed, I was also informed 'it wouldn't happen here on our island', that has proved incorrect. I have undertaken a risk assessment, we've slightly modified our behaviour, slightly increased our perimeter security, our open gate policy was stopped a few weeks back, but it and the house are exceptionally secure anyway. We shall continue to enjoy life here.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
In fairness the NPA do not have a history of activity against foreigners.
About 12 years ago 6 NPA guys came to the house looking for my wife's cousin who used to be a member many years ago. By the time they left they had done a serious amount of damage, they had demolished over three cases of San Miguel beer and had to carry my wife's cousin home.