Visa on Arrival

Old Dec 19th 2016, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

aaronkemp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa on Arrival

Hi guys,

I have been living in Indonesia for the last 3 years on a Social Visa which was a 4 month Visa requiring me to leave the country and enter back in.

I have returned back to the UK and decided my next destination to be the Philippines.

I am wondering if a UK citizen can obtain a visa on arrival?

I know a visa can be issued up to 59 days however can you extend it beyond that? Or would I need to leave to a different country and then re-enter? I was told I can only stay for 59 days and then leave. After investigating further I then was told you can stay up to 2 years on a tourist visa so long as you update x amount of days.

Can I have further clarification from a pro?

Thanks,

Aaron
Old Dec 20th 2016, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa on Arrival

Hi Aaron,

When I arrived in the Phils nearly two years ago, I received a free tourist visa valid for 30 days. I opted for the 59 day tourist visa and paid I think about 2500 peso for that privilege and the process took about 30 mins. I understand that has slightly changed now and no visa is required upon entry but your passport is stamped with *date of entry*. The 59 day tourist visa remains the same upon entry. Ask for it when you arrive and you will be taken to the BI office before you collect your luggage. The process is simple. However, ensure you have the peso's to pay for the 59 day tourist visa.

Further extensions are done at your local BI office for a total of 3 years after which you must leave the country and return to start the process again. Extensions during the 3 years can be done either every 59days or in some cases 6 monthly extensions can be given at some BI offices.

Remember also that when you arrive you are required to have an outward ticket. Not necessarily a return ticket. This is called a *throw away ticket* and I selected a cheap flight to Singapore which of course I never used. The outward ticket will be checked at LHR Airport. If you cannot produce one....you do not fly.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Pete M

Last edited by Philosophical 11; Dec 20th 2016 at 1:16 am.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 1:18 am
Just Joined

aaronkemp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pete,

Thank you for clarification. So my understanding is I can opt for the 59 day tourist visa on arrival. Make sure I have atleast 2,500 pesos to pay for it, then go to the BI office for a further extension up to 3 years. I assume a BI office is in every major city?

Will they ask how I am funding my time in PH? Is it illegal to work as self employed in IT there on a tourist visa? If it is illegal, do I need to be sponsored by a PH company for a work permit? Or need to earn over X amount of money?

I heard I need to book a flight out, do I just pay for a cheap flight due to leave 59 days after and just don't catch it to stay safe? Once I get my extension? I assume I go to the BI office 10 or so days before my 59 day visa is over.

Again many thanks for taking the time with my questions.

Aaron
Old Dec 20th 2016, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aaronkemp
Hi Pete,

Thank you for clarification. So my understanding is I can opt for the 59 day tourist visa on arrival. Make sure I have atleast 2,500 pesos to pay for it, then go to the BI office for a further extension up to 3 years. I assume a BI office is in every major city?

Will they ask how I am funding my time in PH? Is it illegal to work as self employed in IT there on a tourist visa? If it is illegal, do I need to be sponsored by a PH company for a work permit? Or need to earn over X amount of money?

I heard I need to book a flight out, do I just pay for a cheap flight due to leave 59 days after and just don't catch it to stay safe? Once I get my extension? I assume I go to the BI office 10 or so days before my 59 day visa is over.

Again many thanks for taking the time with my questions.

Aaron
On arrival, go to the BI office in the airport before passport control. Ask for 59 day visa, pay and they'll stamp your passport.
Yes you can extend your visa for up to 3 years BUT after you have been here 6 months you are required to obtain an Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) card PLUS you will need to get an exit clearance from BI if you wish to leave the Philippines - even for a holiday - after you've been here 12 months. This all costs money - which is the aim! Once you are here and getting ready to extend your visa, post here and someone will tell you where the best BI office is, based on your location. They vary considerably in the time it takes to process. Hint: check local holidays etc and ensure you apply for a new visa some days BEFORE your current one runs out - they will date it from your current expiry date.
Here's the main BI website - you can check visas etc on the appropriate link : Home

Technically it is illegal to do any work on a tourist visa - working online may, or may not, allow you to slip under the radar. I do not advocate it though. To work legally here, you need to be sponsored by an employer for an Alien Employment Permit. NOT EASY and costs .

Yes you need an onward flight ticket to get on the plane in UK. Any cheap throw away ticket can be used. Don't think the date matters so long as it's in the future. Search this part of the forum for "onward tickets" for more info.

Have fun!