Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Urgent UK Visitor Visa sponsorship advice needed - help hugely appreciated

Urgent UK Visitor Visa sponsorship advice needed - help hugely appreciated

Old May 23rd 2014, 10:56 am
Just Joined

griffd85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Urgent UK Visitor Visa sponsorship advice needed - help hugely appreciated

I was wondering if there was anyone on here that could give me some advice about sponsoring my Filipino girlfriend’s UK visitor visa application as I am currently losing my sanity over this. She has her appointment at the UK embassy on Tuesday 27th May so would appreciate comments as soon as possible.

I have attached the draft of the sponsorship letters. A few concerns, and points to consider of mine are:
  • I am a mature student on a small bursary; therefore I am not sponsoring her trip due to the financial requirements.
  • My step-mum is the main sponsor.
  • My girlfriend works as a medical rep in Manila and is paid cash. She has payslips to show her income but it does not go directly into her bank account.
  • She runs a small flower shop business in the Philippines which she set up and registered in her name this January, not sure if this will add any weight to her application.
  • From 2012 onwards she has evidence of traveling to and from Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, and Burma.
  • My Step-mum has 11K GBP of savings (evidence in application) but her current account is 3K GBOP overdrawn… is likely to be an issue?
  • Would it be better if I stated that I was paying for her flights, rather than my step mum? I have a decent amount of savings which I can evidence. The only reason why I said my step mum was paying for the flights was to keep the application as simple as possible for the ECO.
  • Should I remove the details of our relationship from the letters?

I would really appreciate people comments and criticisms of the application so that I can strengthen them before next Tuesday. Be as brutal as you like… my hopes and expectations aren’t great at the moment anyway.

Greatly appreciative of any help in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Urgent UK Visitor Visa sponsorship advice needed - help hugely appreciated-1.jpg   Urgent UK Visitor Visa sponsorship advice needed - help hugely appreciated-2.jpg   Urgent UK Visitor Visa sponsorship advice needed - help hugely appreciated-3.jpg  

Last edited by griffd85; May 23rd 2014 at 11:00 am. Reason: typo
Old May 24th 2014, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent UK Visitor Visa sponsorship advice needed - help hugely appreciated

Originally Posted by griffd85
I was wondering if there was anyone on here that could give me some advice about sponsoring my Filipino girlfriend’s UK visitor visa application as I am currently losing my sanity over this. She has her appointment at the UK embassy on Tuesday 27th May so would appreciate comments as soon as possible.

I have attached the draft of the sponsorship letters. A few concerns, and points to consider of mine are:
  • I am a mature student on a small bursary; therefore I am not sponsoring her trip due to the financial requirements.
  • My step-mum is the main sponsor.
  • My girlfriend works as a medical rep in Manila and is paid cash. She has payslips to show her income but it does not go directly into her bank account.
  • She runs a small flower shop business in the Philippines which she set up and registered in her name this January, not sure if this will add any weight to her application.
  • From 2012 onwards she has evidence of traveling to and from Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, and Burma.
  • My Step-mum has 11K GBP of savings (evidence in application) but her current account is 3K GBOP overdrawn… is likely to be an issue?
  • Would it be better if I stated that I was paying for her flights, rather than my step mum? I have a decent amount of savings which I can evidence. The only reason why I said my step mum was paying for the flights was to keep the application as simple as possible for the ECO.
  • Should I remove the details of our relationship from the letters?

I would really appreciate people comments and criticisms of the application so that I can strengthen them before next Tuesday. Be as brutal as you like… my hopes and expectations aren’t great at the moment anyway.

Greatly appreciative of any help in advance.
Just the slightest sniff of a relationship and she won't be coming. I just hope you haven't bought the ticket yet. The chances of a young single girl getting as visit visa to the UK ranges from slim to zero at the best of times.
Old May 24th 2014, 9:14 am
Just Joined

worldtravellerph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent UK Visitor Visa sponsorship advice needed - help hugely appreciated

The British embassy does not make a decision. All the information is passed to the Border Agency in the UK. They operate a quota system for work, the straight forward applications ie 2 week holiday, return air tickets, paid hotels etc will pass anything more complex will fail. In your case I would suggest you have a slim chance. You can challenge the rejection but again a slim chance of victory. The rejection remains on file for 5 years. It is not good politics to let people into the UK now a days.
Old May 24th 2014, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for both comments, and no the ticket hasn’t been bought yet.

I see your point Gazza-d but I’m beginning to think that if I don’t mention being in a relationship the ECO will read between the lines anyway so it’s probably best that I’m straight about the situation rather than appear to be hiding anything. Ah I don’t know…

I’ve exhausted myself thinking about 24/7 for the past fortnight now so I’ll just have wait and see what the decision is in a couple of weeks. I’ll post an update on how she gets on so it can be used for future reference.

Thanks again
Old May 24th 2014, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little surprised your girl friend has an interview as it's all done by post now. So have you already submitted the visa application and you gf has been called in to the embassy.
Old May 24th 2014, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Yeah the visa application has already been submitted online and from what i understand, the appointment on Tuesday is just to hand over the documents and evidence at the embassy.
Old May 25th 2014, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by griffd85
Yeah the visa application has already been submitted online and from what i understand, the appointment on Tuesday is just to hand over the documents and evidence at the embassy.
Do You have the links for the applications?
Old May 25th 2014, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikemike
Do You have the links for the applications?
I'm not sure what you mean, the initial visa application was completed and submitted by my gf on the visa4uk .gov.uk website
Old May 25th 2014, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

My now wife has had three visitors visas when she was my girlfriend. So long as the purpose of the visit is true and you can demonstrate that you/stepmother will be providing return air tickets and accommodation all should be okay. As always with the Border Agency honesty is always the best policy. DO NOT make the situation more complicated than need be. One final point what cash is your girlfriend planning to take? If she is successful don't forget health insurance. Good luck. It may take four weeks to get a response as their new supa dupa system has not been working all that well.
Old May 25th 2014, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
My now wife has had three visitors visas when she was my girlfriend. So long as the purpose of the visit is true and you can demonstrate that you/stepmother will be providing return air tickets and accommodation all should be okay. As always with the Border Agency honesty is always the best policy. DO NOT make the situation more complicated than need be. One final point what cash is your girlfriend planning to take? If she is successful don't forget health insurance. Good luck. It may take four weeks to get a response as their new supa dupa system has not been working all that well.
Thanks, well that gives me a bit more hope. She has 199,000 PHP (~ GBP 2,700) in her savings account and has the relevant statements to back this up. Was also thinking the same RE health insurance.

I am going to change the letter to show that i am paying for the airfares as it might look a bit odd otherwise. Will also evidence my savings etc. A bit last minute, but I think i am also going to use my step-sister as the sponsor as her finances are in much better order and she owns her own property with vacant space.
Old May 25th 2014, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention earlier take photocopies of all documents with you as their charges for making photocopies are quite expensive.
Old May 25th 2014, 12:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There's a major Home Office visa processing hub in Manila so it's likely the visa will be processed there. The appointment will be to hand over her passport, any supporting documentation and submit biometrics (photograph and fingerprints).

Honesty is the best policy when it comes to immigration. If the purpose of her visit to the UK is to go with you to meet your family then that's what she should say. Otherwise the obvious question would be why else would your step-mother be sponsoring her to visit the UK? Demonstrating substantial ties to the Philippines will add weight to her claim to be a genuine visitor. Therefore provide evidence of her current employment, business commitments, family or property in the Philippines.

Providing she meets the criteria for a visitor visa and the ECO has no reason to believe she will overstay, work or otherwise breach the conditions of that visa then it should be granted.
Old May 26th 2014, 7:33 am
Just Joined

worldtravellerph is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't bet on it. The UK border agency is overworked and understaffed so operate an unofficial quota policy so at the end of the day the simple applications get passed the more complex are ignored. If it is a short visit the visa may be granted a long visit forget it. My business partner was rejected twice yet has family in the Philippines, substantial assets in the Philippines and overseas and a history of travelling and living abroad yet was rejected because the Border Agency claimed he was looking for work in the UK! He would have been better off being dishonest and going down the fiancee visa route or claiming he only wanted to stay for a week rather than a months business trip.
Old May 26th 2014, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by worldtravellerph
I wouldn't bet on it. The UK border agency is overworked and understaffed so operate an unofficial quota policy so at the end of the day the simple applications get passed the more complex are ignored. If it is a short visit the visa may be granted a long visit forget it. My business partner was rejected twice yet has family in the Philippines, substantial assets in the Philippines and overseas and a history of travelling and living abroad yet was rejected because the Border Agency claimed he was looking for work in the UK! He would have been better off being dishonest and going down the fiancee visa route or claiming he only wanted to stay for a week rather than a months business trip.
What concerns me is that the gf has been called into the embassy, this means it' not straightforward. Interviews are rare now days, usually you get the result by mail. I suppose it's better than a straight rejection.
Old May 26th 2014, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
What concerns me is that the gf has been called into the embassy, this means it' not straightforward. Interviews are rare now days, usually you get the result by mail. I suppose it's better than a straight rejection.
She hasn't been called to the embassy as such, its an appointment that she had to book with them when she submitted the application online. As mentioned by BritInParis, I think the main purpose is so that she can hand over all of her and my documents and have her fingerprints and photo taken etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.