Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

UK State Pension in Philippines

UK State Pension in Philippines

Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:37 pm
Banned

adindas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK State Pension in Philippines

I heard from people that to get UK state pension you must reside in the UK ?
Is it correct or people just make it up ??

thank you
ADINDAS

Last edited by adindas; Jan 16th 2011 at 6:24 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:16 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Made up.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

miradav is an unknown quantity at this point

Please go to www.direct.gov.uk for all the information on state pensions abroad.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

The Philippines is one of the few countries where the UK state pension is index linked. Present arrangements are for the pension service to send the monthly cheque to your Philippine bank. This takes about a month and then another month for the cheque to clear for change to pesos.
A better arrangement is for the pension to paid into a UK branch of a Philippine bank and then have it transferred to your peso account here in the PI. HSBC, BPI, CITY, Union. Philippine National bank come to mind.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Just a note, spoke with International Pension Service about electronic transfer to the Philippines, they are looking in to it, as they use Citibank and RCBD. I complained about the length of time it took to get the pension, and explained to them that the courier they use (TNT Post), when the cheque arrives in the PI they then feed it in to philippines postal service, which as we know here is not very good. They said that they will look into it.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

thanks Miradav.
Civil service pensions can be sent to a Peso account here and the rate is very good. The military one (Paymaster) originally said that they would not transfer to the Philippines but would be adding the Philippines to its list of overseas transfer places in the future.
Two months later I received a letter with a form for the payees Philippine bank to agree to refund over payments to Paymaster in the event of death of the pensioners death. I doubt whether a bank official would sign this understanding somehow??
To consider money in the Philippines its wise to know the account guarantee is restricted to 250,000 pesos here. In the UK the figure is 35,000 pounds. Makes sense to keep the bulk in UK and trickle it over when needed.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Yes I know about Military pensions being transferred, mine as been transferred for over year now, when it was arranged, had no form for the bank to sign for overpayments, must be something new. As a note Xfinitity paymaster uses Citibank so my query to the state pension was why the could not do it the same. One department not talking to another I expect.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good am,
Is your paymaster pension paid into Citibank UK or direct to the PI branch into pesos?
The overpayment form is only required when the pension is paid into the Philippine bank.

Originally Posted by miradav
Yes I know about Military pensions being transferred, mine as been transferred for over year now, when it was arranged, had no form for the bank to sign for overpayments, must be something new. As a note Xfinitity paymaster uses Citibank so my query to the state pension was why the could not do it the same. One department not talking to another I expect.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Military Pension transferred from paymaster thro citibank uk to BDO PI.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok thats why the overpayment form is not required, Paymaster see the UK bank as the pensioners "home". Interesting that you have money transferred via citibank in the PI to BDO, suppose that's because citibank have only a few branches in the and BDO are just about everywhere now.
Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:55 am
Just Joined

This is the paymaster's authorised bank for transfer, also the cost of transfer to the PI is Pounds 2.54, which they deduct from source.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:49 am
Banned

mykii has a spectacular aura aboutmykii has a spectacular aura aboutmykii has a spectacular aura about

Interesting post. Thanks to all the contributors.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

louis52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by golftees
It's very simple to set up.I would advise you to open an account with H.S.B.C. Jersey UK.(where your pension can be sent)Then open a sterling a/c with H.S.B.C here in the Philippines..You can transfer funds on-line from UK to the Philippines with no charge.. in seconds.

You then can get a A.T.M. card (P.I. one) and withdraw funds any where in the P.I.through 'Banknet'.(exchange rate very good and no charge)

Remember... International bank card withdrawals are subject to a charge of up to 250p in the P.I...and as you know max withdrawals at a.t.m's are 10.000P per withdrawal.
how can you open an account if your abroad already? online?
Old Mar 4th 2011, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

louis52 is an unknown quantity at this point

As a note Citi bank has the lowest exchange rates when its sent from the UK to PI as of today most banks average 69 peso Citi 67 peso world 70.98 go figure
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:27 am
Just Joined

wisefoxylady is on a distinguished road

Right off the top of my head I would suggest looking into opening an account with the Philippine National Bank affiliate in the UK, then also open a local PNB account in the Philippines, execute an auto-transfer agreement with the UK affiliate bank, then execute a letter of instruction to the pensions office to make the deposits straight to the affiliate bank.

Not sure if this has been tried before but in this instance normally the waiting time will be significantly reduced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.