Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Uk state pension age and calculated benefits

Uk state pension age and calculated benefits

Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Uk state pension age and calculated benefits

At least we get index linking living in the philippines
Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk state pension age and calculated benefits

The state pension was at one time counted from a starting age of 16 until you stopped contributing. in my case it was straightforward i stopped paying in at age 42, this gave me 26 years of contribution out of 30 years needed.

Now you need 35 years and I am not sure if it is from age 16 or the age you started to work, Quite a big difference in % terms. the old way made getting an instant on line quote for future benefits so easy. Now its all more paperwork again and no doubt a cellphone!!

Anyone any ideas?
Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

You can make additional payments, usually class 2 or class 3. Kid's today are unable to leave education until the age of 18 in the UK. You can log onto the HMRC pensions website for more information, or there is a phone number for overseas expats.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
The state pension was at one time counted from a starting age of 16 until you stopped contributing. in my case it was straightforward i stopped paying in at age 42, this gave me 26 years of contribution out of 30 years needed.

Now you need 35 years and I am not sure if it is from age 16 or the age you started to work, Quite a big difference in % terms. the old way made getting an instant on line quote for future benefits so easy. Now its all more paperwork again and no doubt a cellphone!!

Anyone any ideas?
As MrKen said, you can make additional years of contributions, so long as you haven't reached retirement age, and you can usually pay for the current year and upto six preceding years.

If you apply, and are accepted, to make Class 2 contributions, the additional years cost around £143ish, whereas the default is Class 3 at around £715. Even at £715 the extra years are a great deal if you live more than about four years into retirement. If you can get years at Class 2 rates (unfortunately Class 2 goes away after this year ) then they are a steal! The aggregate cost of seven years @ Class 2 rates is just a hair over £1,000.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 27th 2017 at 1:27 am.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My military acker, the Lieutenant Colonel, is right. He sometimes is.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully they won't start means testing pension payment by the time I retire. I know there has been some talk of that in some circles.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I was under the impression that the 6 year back payment had a''statute of limitations.'' Having been out of the 'system for 18 years I lose the right to back payments?

If Not I am all in!!
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Under some circumstances they are allowing more than 6 years, but your best bet is to contact HMRC. They have been helpful to me every time I have contacted them
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mrken30
Hopefully they won't start means testing pension payment by the time I retire. I know there has been some talk of that in some circles.
Anyone just relying on a state pension is going to find that mean enough

The part that was floated and got burried was the removal of the personal allowances for expats

Then again if UK residents enjoying the brexit lifestyle are in effect forced to opt to return to the Uk that nasty idea may make a comeback
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

JAsh has a reputation beyond reputeJAsh has a reputation beyond reputeJAsh has a reputation beyond reputeJAsh has a reputation beyond reputeJAsh has a reputation beyond reputeJAsh has a reputation beyond reputeJAsh has a reputation beyond reputeJAsh has a reputation beyond reputeJAsh has a reputation beyond reputeJAsh has a reputation beyond reputeJAsh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi... I've asked about the state pension on the other thread because my husband thought that he could get state pension as early as 55 years old than the mandated age of 65 for Male? If you will retire abroad and you've paid in enough years. He's only 47 but he figured he's paid more than enough years (40 years worth guess estimate) since he started working at age 16 and got his military pension converted into his state pension or something like that.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAsh
Hi... I've asked about the state pension on the other thread because my husband thought that he could get state pension as early as 55 years old than the mandated age of 65 for Male? If you will retire abroad and you've paid in enough years. He's only 47 but he figured he's paid more than enough years (40 years worth guess estimate) since he started working at age 16 and got his military pension converted into his state pension or something like that.
Private pensions you can draw at 55 years old. As far as I'm aware you can only receive your state pension at your retirement date. This could be anytime between 65 and 67 depending on your current age. I'm 63 and have to wait until 65 and 9 months before I get mine.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 10:33 am
LPR
Forum Regular

LPR is on a distinguished road

Looks like I must have just scraped in, I'm 63 and I get my pension on my 65th birthday. For once in my life I'm a winner
Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
I was under the impression that the 6 year back payment had a''statute of limitations.'' Having been out of the 'system for 18 years I lose the right to back payments? .....
Not as far as I know, other than if you haven't made an aggregate of three years of contributions you can't pay in unless you return to the UK and start working.

You should contact the DWP, International Desk, in Newcastle and they will help you.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 27th 2017 at 1:18 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

ChrisKVie is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...-state-pension

This site will give you information on the state pension and your NI contributions. It provides a clear statement (printed) of your contributions and gap years, plus it shows whether you can pay catch up years. As I remember it only allows you to catch up the last 6 years as MikeMike says.

In terms of a military pension best to check the website as there are different schemes such as AFP75......
https://www.gov.uk/armed-forces-pension-calculator

If an individual undertook the full term service years then he is entitled to a pension on leaving the services and then at 55 is entitled to an increase (dont know what this is though).

If it was less than the full military service but greater than 9 years then a preserved pension is granted and is available from age 60, with a lump sum payment of 3x the annual pension on application at age 60. ( please note this applies to AFP75 so maybe different schemes since my day).

In terms of work place pensions and these have been preserved it would be sensible to consider QROPS (Qualified Overseas Pension Schemes). This allows you to take control of the funds set aside during previous work based schemes and allows flexibility when reaching the age of 55 to how you deal with these funds.

Hope this adds info and helps somewhat to the thread.

Chris.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

expatuk2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a word of warning or advice really, if you have been contracted out
And have a company pension, this can reduce what you will get when your state pension starts, my weekly pension was reduced by £58.00 a week, £232.00 a month.
Overall i am £1000 a year worse off after receiving my private pensions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.