Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

UK Military pension Paid in the Philippines.

UK Military pension Paid in the Philippines.

Old Apr 6th 2016, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Military pension Paid in the Philippines.

Originally Posted by nrgiser
Thank you to everyone for their suggestions on this post I am very appreciative. Calman you seem to be in the same boat as me, I am many many years away from receiving a state pension from the UK Government and probably when I get to that age it wont be around or you will have to be at least 85 before getting it, but it is something to bear in mind as I also have not paid enough contribution to National Insurance to be entitle to the full amount. And if they are just going to deduct my army pensions to pay for it, then there is no point paying any further NI contributions.

I will then ring Equiniti later today then via Skype and get the ball rolling. If that fails I now know I have BPI Europe option to fall back on to. Thank you again to all who had answers and suggestion for me. And I hope in the future I will be able to help someone on here too.

Matt.
Don't misunderstand what calman104 said. What he meant was, once you are entitled to your state pension, then that is added to your military pension and if the total is over the then current tax free allowance, any tax due will be taken from your military pension as by law, HMRC are not allowed to directly tax state pensions. As a military pension is classed as a government pension, it is specifically excluded from the double taxation treaty between UK/Philippines. If you would like more detail send me a PM and I'll give you all the info.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

My comments related purely to the level of pension awarded, not taxes of any kind.
There was a rule change due to incorrect NI contributions apparently.

See:

Service Pension Reduction - PPRuNe Forums

https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/34538
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:57 am
Just Joined

nrgiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Quiltman and Calman for your clarification. I greatly appreciate your input in this inquiry of mine. I tried to call Equiniti Paymaster yesterday but could not get through, that maybe because I was using Skype and the Internet was not so good, who would have guessed that with Globe ha. I will try again later today and if I find that I can still get my pension paid directly to my bank account here then I will inform the forum. Thank you everybody.

Matt.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. The problem with having your pension paid directly into a Philippine bank account is that you're at the mercy of the intermediary handling it for the exchange rate. For State pensions, they use Citi to transfer all overseas pensions and it adds a couple of days apparently, plus they determine the exchange rate. Just something to be aware of.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Citi is also used by Equiniti.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Graham99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just read this thread today, first the telegraph article was about transfering pensions, that is taking the whole value of your pensions savings in armed forces pension and moving it to a different overseas pension scheme.

There is a form for direct payment into phil banks here

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...yment-mandates.

You also need a pensions form 1 which is here.

https://www.google.com.ph/url?sa=t&s...2UYEvVplFERPUw

Seems fairly straight forward though i have not tried it yet, too busy doing nothing � ����

Last edited by Pollyana; May 5th 2016 at 10:32 am. Reason: fixing formatting issue
Old Apr 18th 2016, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Forgot to say, if i have high value, important documents i need to get back to UK I print, sign, scan and then email to my daughter to post in UK
Old Apr 18th 2016, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

nrgiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Graham,

Thank you so very much for the links, I really do appreciate them. I have been looking for direct payment form for ages. Also thank you for the explanation on the Telegragh article. You have been much help. One thing though would I need to fill out the second form "Armed Forces Pension Schemes Application Form" as I am already in receipt of an army pension and a war pension and have been for quite a few years. It seems that form is to apply for a pension from the army. Your clarification would be appreciated. Thank you again for your help,

Matt.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Yea i think you only need the first one, the .gov website is a complete maze so is hard to work things out clearly, I was actually looking for a change of address form when I found those (no joy on that one yet).

The scan and email thing is good if you have someone willing to do it, though i did send a cheque through philpost when i first got here and it arrived OK, just took 2 weeks and the tracking stops once it leaves maniĺla.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graham99
Yea i think you only need the first one, the .gov website is a complete maze so is hard to work things out clearly, I was actually looking for a change of address form when I found those (no joy on that one yet).

The scan and email thing is good if you have someone willing to do it, though i did send a cheque through philpost when i first got here and it arrived OK, just took 2 weeks and the tracking stops once it leaves maniĺla.
You only really need tracking up until it leaves Manila, from there on it is normally in a safe pair of hands.
Old May 3rd 2016, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Kawasaki_Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have had my military pension paid into my BPI account here for the last 7 years. I have had no issues at at. As a previous poster mentioned, it is paid into Citi Bank and then transferred to BPI. Citi Bank are the UK approved handlers of pensions. I receive the pension on the 2nd to the 5th of each month. There is some fluctuation due to exchange rates. I pay tax in the UK as its cheaper than paying the tax here as I also earn a salary here and my rate of tax on the pension would be higher than the UK. Owing to the difficulties with the mail system here I communicate with Infinity by email and phone and they let me submit documents by fax. All in all a problem free experience.
Old May 3rd 2016, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kawasaki_Mike
Hi, I have had my military pension paid into my BPI account here for the last 7 years. I have had no issues at at. As a previous poster mentioned, it is paid into Citi Bank and then transferred to BPI. Citi Bank are the UK approved handlers of pensions. I receive the pension on the 2nd to the 5th of each month. There is some fluctuation due to exchange rates. I pay tax in the UK as its cheaper than paying the tax here as I also earn a salary here and my rate of tax on the pension would be higher than the UK. Owing to the difficulties with the mail system here I communicate with Infinity by email and phone and they let me submit documents by fax. All in all a problem free experience.
Good info, thanks
Old May 3rd 2016, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Paid into citibank where?
Old May 3rd 2016, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Kawasaki_Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikemike
Paid into citibank where?
You do not have to do anything. Pensions coming to the Philippines are automatically paid in citi bank as they are the bank used by the government. I just registered my BPI account number with the pension office and they do all the rest.
Old May 3rd 2016, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

You do not have to do anything. Pensions coming to the Philippines are automatically paid in citi bank as they are the bank used by the government. I just registered my BPI account number with the pension office and they do all the rest.
Are the rates and fees better than using money transfer service?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.