Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Transferring visa from old to new passport

Transferring visa from old to new passport

Old Jan 12th 2017, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferring visa from old to new passport

Does anybody know the procedure? My son has just got a new passport but his current visa is in his old one. He has been told that in order to transfer it he needs to go to Manila BI office! Is this true?
Can it not be done at BI in Cebu? I would have thought that when it is due for renewal he would just take both passports to BI here and they would put new visa in his new passport.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring visa from old to new passport

Is there an endorsement in the new passport stating that there is a valid visa in the previous passport? If so just carry both passports.
If not, I would go to the local BI field office
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
Is there an endorsement in the new passport stating that there is a valid visa in the previous passport? If so just carry both passports.
If not, I would go to the local BI field office
No, that's the problem. He went to BI here to ask how to have a note in his new passport saying there was a valid visa in his ,now expired, passport and they told him he has to go to Manila! Something to do with the new commissioner of immigration changing the rules. I thought , for a fee of course - it is the Philippines!- that they would just renew his visa and update his passport details.

Something for others to be aware of as it's a real PITA. Plus as it's short notice it's costing a fortune to get a flight to Manila at such short notice.

Ah, the joys of living here!
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
No, that's the problem. He went to BI here to ask how to have a note in his new passport saying there was a valid visa in his ,now expired, passport and they told him he has to go to Manila! Something to do with the new commissioner of immigration changing the rules. I thought , for a fee of course - it is the Philippines!- that they would just renew his visa and update his passport details.

Something for others to be aware of as it's a real PITA. Plus as it's short notice it's costing a fortune to get a flight to Manila at such short notice.

Ah, the joys of living here!
The endorsement should have been inserted by the UK passport office, one for each valid visa. They used to do this when I was traveling and as far as I know they have not changed the rules. You did have to have the visa put into your new passport before that passport expired.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 1:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
The endorsement should have been inserted by the UK passport office, one for each valid visa. They used to do this when I was traveling and as far as I know they have not changed the rules. You did have to have the visa put into your new passport before that passport expired.
That's not something I'm aware they ever did and it's certainly not been done in at least the last five years.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That's not something I'm aware they ever did and it's certainly not been done in at least the last five years.
No, nor me. I had a US multiple entry visa some years ago and was told by the US border people to just carry both passports until my visa was due for renewal. I've found out from the Immigration Facebook pages that others here are having the same problem, only finding out when they go to renew their visa.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No, nor me. I had a US multiple entry visa some years ago and was told by the US border people to just carry both passports until my visa was due for renewal. I've found out from the Immigration Facebook pages that others here are having the same problem, only finding out when they go to renew their visa.
That's normal practice. Sounds like the Philippines are doing something different.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

I have had two passports in which UKPA (or their predecessors) endorsed with reference to valid visas being in previous passports. However we are in interesting times with paranoia ruling over common sense.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That's normal practice. Sounds like the Philippines are doing something different.
Oh yes! The Philippines always make life difficult, but don't tell you till you go check. Then you end up being say 2 days late in renewing your visa and Bingo! a penalty charge!
Old Jan 13th 2017, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
I have had two passports in which UKPA (or their predecessors) endorsed with reference to valid visas being in previous passports. However we are in interesting times with paranoia ruling over common sense.
They may have done that in the past - I was talking about the1980s for my US visa and it certainly wasn't done then! It may also depend on which country the visa is for I suppose. Ah well, such is life. i just hope others don't get caught out - it applies to ALL countries, not just UK.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure why this is a problem

My old passport has my 13a visa in it

My ACR card lets me travel

Am I in for a rude awakening and an ambush pinoy style?? I will be renewing my ACR card in February same time as doing my annual pilgrimmage to pay my 310 pesos
Old Jan 13th 2017, 3:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... it applies to ALL countries, not just UK.
I am inclined to agree with you, but I got into an argument (on BE) a few months ago, because apparently Australia does something different with Australian visas in UK (and presumably other) passports.

I still believe that carrying an expired passport with a current visa would be acceptable, but apparently that isn't "preferred" by Australia these days.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am inclined to agree with you, but I got into an argument (on BE) a few months ago, because apparently Australia does something different with Australian visas in UK (and presumably other) passports.

I still believe that carrying an expired passport with a current visa would be acceptable, but apparently that isn't "preferred" by Australia these days.
Australia's visa system is now wholly electronic so there's no visa to physically transfer anymore. If you hold a valid visa and change your passport then you need to let DIBP know so your new passport can be attached to your existing visa otherwise you'll run into problems at check-in when attempting to board a flight to Australia.