Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Things Could be Looking Up

Things Could be Looking Up

Old Dec 19th 2017, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things Could be Looking Up

Have seen that a Chinese company is now entering the Philippine communications service provider market at the behest of the president. So broadband services could be jumping several hundred levels with this new provider.

I shall be seriously looking at their service. In the last month I have only had 3 days that have actually provided what I pay for and some days have provided 0.35% of what I have paid for, with of course the usual Customer Service??? reply "well it is not our fault" followed by the usual tripe excuse about sun spots, power supply and World outages. I used to believe that BSE stood for Bovine spongiform encephalopathy and not Blame Someone Else but now I am not too sure.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things Could be Looking Up

I am with you on this

I get fed up when I cannot get the speed to undertake a speed test, all too often, and this in the metro manila area.

When I get a speed test the preferred server is in Taiwan Or Chennai, India. Never PLDT Makati

Blocked web pages mainly UK centric

I am more than happy to accept the Chinese snooping my internet if it means I get what I pay for. I am sure the Chinese will be ever so happy to be bored with this Web page and others like it) Subversive or what!!

I remember not so long ago this ''Manny I am head of PLDT'' boasting how smart he is and and what a wonderful service PLDT provide. That he has ''recruited the smartest minds, all with a little bit of me in them'' Good gracious the recruitment process should not involve the transfer of bodily fluids!!. Just look where it has got Hollywood!! certainly has PLDT fecked.

16 years plus years of suffering the ''Manny PLDT '' way. Only SKy cable is worse
Old Dec 20th 2017, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this move to inject another competitor has got to help improve services, but let's not get carried away. The chosen Chinese company will be state run and will be pushed to the Philippines as part of the Chinese response to the Philippine administration's so-called Independent Foreign Policy. They will also have to have a Philippine partner.

A previous attempt to inject a Chinese company into Broadband development here a few years ago ended in bribery allegations, which got close to the then President. One who has now been rehabilitated and is a close supporter and advisor of the present administration.

Bundling content with Broadband services is where the money is made these days, and that is where the present Duopoly have an important advantage.

It's a pity that many excellent Telecom companies in other parts of the world either don't like to get involved here, or are not favored for political reasons.

Think we have to wait for results from the government's National Broadband Plan to see any significant improvement to services here.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

kompani101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our village has no telephone lines so we are reliant on LTE wireless connection for our broadband. We have two PLDT/Smart Home_Ultera systems, capped at the max 70GB per month at up to 10mbs but usually around 3mbs or less, new connections are now 100GB. We had a new Globe connection but it was almost always at 3mbs and often below 1mbs despite paying for up to 10mbs. After much complaining Globe cut us off rather than resolve the problem.
I hope this new provider will be better but somehow I doubt it as they won't have to be 'good' to get business just less 'crap' than Smart or Globe but still be crap. Time will tell.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for those of you with poor internet. We are lucky in that we get PLDT fiber on our subdivision and have a 50mb connection. OK most times it tootles along at 11 to 30mb but rarely fails. whether a Chinese company can improve things is doubtful as it would need a massive infrastructure building and will still never likely get to outlying areas. The cities may get lucky as the investment could be recovered over time.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisKVie is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldnt the new provider have to rent existing infrastructure until own network built/established...
Old Dec 21st 2017, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisKVie
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldnt the new provider have to rent existing infrastructure until own network built/established...
We had both Smart & Globe LTE wireless broadband in our house until recently. They used separate towers in separate towns near us but they performed almost identical for speed, rising and falling at the same times of day dependant upon usage i.e. school holidays, evenings etc as though both being fed from the same source, which they are as it's PLDT. I don't know if the new player will just buy capacity off PLDT like Globe or install a complete new system.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

If they buy capacity off PLDT then surely our current speeds may drop? also will PLDT let them use their infrastructure to compete with them?
"sorry, all capacity used up"
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quiltman
If they buy capacity off PLDT then surely our current speeds may drop? also will PLDT let them use their infrastructure to compete with them?
"sorry, all capacity used up"
I think that is the crux of the issue. If PLDT retain control over capacity, its distribution and wholesale pricing then there will probably be 3 almost identical retailers providing bad service, low speeds, capped data, at a high price rather than just 2. I hope the plutocrats ensure it is different.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I am in hk for xmas

needless to say connection is fast and stable
Old Dec 25th 2017, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikemike
I am in hk for xmas

needless to say connection is fast and stable
Ya Boo sucks to you!
Old Dec 25th 2017, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Normal (lack of service) will be resumed from the 28th, yaboo sucks to me!!)

oddly enough just had a response from PLDT to the last of many complaints wanting to know if I still have problems with the service.

My response was.

I am receiving the best service that the 21st century can provide. This will come to an end when I return to Mania from HK on the 28th.
Old Dec 25th 2017, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

I fear the sarcasm will not be understood. Has to be referred upstairs for clarification LOL
Old Dec 28th 2017, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

bestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikemike
Normal (lack of service) will be resumed from the 28th, yaboo sucks to me!!)

oddly enough just had a response from PLDT to the last of many complaints wanting to know if I still have problems with the service.

My response was.

I am receiving the best service that the 21st century can provide. This will come to an end when I return to Mania from HK on the 28th.
You should know better - sarcasm does not survive here.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

I did actually get a very nice response inviting me to contact them on my return to help identify my concerns.

back 24 hoursish and the only concern thus far is lack of speed. I accept that this will not improve until they complete the fibre roll out which might come in during 2018.

I get back to be met with termites in the kitchen!! nothing to do with PLDT I hasten to add!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.