Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

NZ / Brit on his way to losing shirt

NZ / Brit on his way to losing shirt

Old May 15th 2018, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

MikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really nice
Default NZ / Brit on his way to losing shirt

Hi one and all, this is a little story of a Brit in NZ who met and married a very nice Filipina the only problem as in some cases the family comes first.
Just to keep it simple and anonymous we shall assign them Australian names perhaps Trevor and Sheila would be adequate.
Trev, who is still on a British passport came to NZ with his parents when he was a kid long before his wife was born. His dad after a time packed up and went back to Britain and Trev single till this episode started lived with mum.
Sheila was born a little more than 30 years after Trev, for the Philippines she came from a wealthy family at the time, her father was a Baranguy Captain for one term and obviously stole enough money from the community to get the family flush for the next few years.
Sheila went to train as a nurse in the Philippines and in 2010 was shipped to NZ to study on a student visa, not sure what it was because she still has no qualifications. Never mind.
Sheila according to her received 2000 peso per week pocket money, she was the youngest and obviously spoilt. She also had a sister working in England. When my wife qualified as a teacher and worked at a private school she used to get paid 3000 pesos a MONTH and out of that she had to pay for the children's supplies. To show the difference and put my wife on yet a higher pedestal I shall make some comparisons. My wife the oldest in the family used to go and stand in line outside a milk fish boning factory at night to collect a bag of fish bones which were given out to the poor. She was ridiculed because a teacher should not have to do that they thought. No one used to talk to her when she was poor but for the last 8 years she gets daily texts from her so called mates asking how she is, my wife never replies because she knows they will all ask to borrow money.

Anyway Sheila had a sweet upbringing and did not need to be shown how to spend money.
Trevor worked away in NZ doing different things and was living with his mum in a house he had purchased with her about 30 years previously.
Old May 16th 2018, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

MikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really niceMikeNZ is just really nice
Default re: NZ / Brit on his way to losing shirt

I first heard of Sheila from another guy married to a Filipina, he told me of a Filipina who was staying at a fishermans down the road from them and how the fisherman's wife treated Sheila like a slave. Sounded impressive at the time but Sheila is no worker as it turns out and has no idea what housework is. Anyway a few months later the guy I knew asked if he could borrow some palms off me because Sheila and Trevor were getting married "yaaaah" and they needed some decoration for the garden party.
Now at about this time my wife started work at a kiwifruit packhouse just down the road and buggar me who was also working there Sheila.
Now Sheila is a very nice girl, perfect English and very generous, she and my wife became friends. Trevor and Sheila would always go out shopping etc but if Trevor was occupied Sheila would always take someone with her sometimes my wife. On these trips into town Sheila would always be buying handbags, glasses and crap and trying to encourage my wife to purchase items. My wife is koripot and would have none of that but Sheila would insist on buying their lunch or dinner which really used to piss me off because you know in the end that nothing is free.
Sheila went to work at an old peoples home and my wife came home to work full time on the palms. All was bliss for a few years but Sheila was sending her pay to PI and Trevor had her in charge of paying the bills and controlling the finances. They used to fly regularly to PI and treat the family to excursions etc around the place.
Now Trevors mum was living with them in their old two bedroom house much to Sheilas chagrin but Trevor was not going to let his mum get thrown in the old peoples home.
The house I should add was run down and ugly but there was no mortgage, Trevor claimed he was a cabinet maker but is one of those guys who can talk a lot but never get anything done. he would often show me what he had planned to do but oh well.
After about four years of marriage Trevor's Dad in England died and left him $50000 NZ dollars.
They had a brainwave and purchased a holiday home in Taupo a lake type resort town. Lovely in summer cold as the arctic in winter.
Trevor was working Sheila was working all still bliss.
Old May 16th 2018, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

About two years later they managed to sell the Taupo property for the same if not less than they paid for it. About this time they went to the Philippines on holiday. While there Sheila asked my wife if we could send them some money and they would pay us back when they got home. I sent $4000 to them they only had another 10 days to go but after a couple of days they asked for some more but after seeing on facebook the shit they were spending our money on I said no. They returned and paid us back no problem. Trevor was working, Sheila was working when she wasn't ringing up sick or taking days off to go messing around in town. She was sending money non stop to her family in PI 100000 pesos for a sister to work overseas, (never gone) and all the other reasons money is sent to PI. About two and a half years ago Trev's Mum passed away, I think I heard Sheila's whoops of delight from 20kms up the road but I might be wrong. About six months later Trevor was diagnosed with a melanoma on his head, Sheila immediately called the life insurance company and tried to claim his LIFE insurance. Needless to say he is not yet dead so that did not work, she cancelled the policy. Trevor had the melanoma chopped and and decided that he would stop work. Sheila at some stage started to convince Trevor that they should retire to the Philippines, she believed from other experts that Trevor could claim a pension from Britain when he turned 60 even though he has never paid tax there. Never heard the result of that but you guys will know. Sheila started convincing Trevor that he should sell his old house of 30 years move to PI build a house with rooms to rent and live happily ever after.
Property prices in NZ at the time were booming and they put it on the market. I advised him to just rent the bloody thing out and get around $450 a week for doing nothing but Sheila got her way.
Sheila still working when she could be bothered.
Trevor at home watching TV, trying to sort out all the rubbish he had accumulated over the years and achieving nothing.
House on the market.
Old May 16th 2018, 1:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MikeNZ
she believed from other experts that Trevor could claim a pension from Britain when he turned 60 even though he has never paid tax there. Never heard the result of that but you guys will know.
Bit odd. If Trevor resided, lived and worked in NZ , then it is an NZ state pension he would be entitled to.
Old May 16th 2018, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bevs, exactly right but Sheila is ever the optimist and always considering the angles, he has to wait like all other New Zealanders till he is 65. She was living in hope. Regards Mike
Old May 16th 2018, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Maybe another bit of bullshit to convince Trevor to sell, nice guy no rocket scientist and he is the one that asks her for advice.
Old May 16th 2018, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Mike:

I wonder why this story is on the Philippines forum when it appears that its taking place in NZ? Your thread title suggests that also.

Regards
Old May 16th 2018, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi 11, be patient they will get to the Philippines in due course. Regards Mike
Old May 16th 2018, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bevs, can we change the title the in NZ might be confusing, can I change it or can you. Regards Mike
Old May 16th 2018, 1:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MikeNZ
Hi Bevs, can we change the title the in NZ might be confusing, can I change it or can you. Regards Mike
What would you prefer.

"NZ / Brit on his way to losing shirt" perhaps , as the NZ bit is relevant.

If it were the UK pension it would be a longer wait as I think for our vintage it is now around 67.
For NZ it is still 65.....for the time being.
Old May 16th 2018, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bev, that would be perfect. Thanks very much Mike.
Old May 16th 2018, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: NZ / Brit on his way to losing shirt

Hi Bev, thanks again. Regards Mike
Old May 16th 2018, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Now this is where it begins March 2017 house sells $470000 yahoo. Before settlement Trevor and Sheila ask to borrow $2500 because they are skint till house payment comes through. I know house sold so lend them the money no problem. Money comes through for the house, they repay loan all good. Trevor very unhappy camper when Sheila tells him of even more cards that have to be paid off. How much is anyone's guess.
April fly to the Philippines, sisters wedding and take family all over for a good time.
May take 12 members of family to Thailand for 10 day holiday.
June, buys family member a tuk tuk flash looking thing I have never seen in PI. Buy 2000000 peso section in Baguio.
July more cruising around with all the family.
August, go to the UK so he can show Sheila his old house.
September UK to Canada, go on cruise. he worked in Canada for a while 20 or 30 years before and wanted to remember the good times
October back in the Philippines.
November back to NZ, they stay with us for three weeks while he sorts out all his rubbish which he had left in his cousins garage. Fell out with cousin because they left their cat with her and she failed to tell them that it had disappeared somehow. Had to put up with the teary eyes while he told me what a wonderful cat it was more tears than for his mum. Now my darling thought having them stay would be wonderful but after a few days of them getting up and 10.00 and getting nothing done she had had enough but they stayed for the three weeks. They then went and stayed with another guy where he had moved all his crap. Spent another couple of weeks boxing up old books and rubbish to send to the Philippines. Sent about a dozen or more Balik bayan boxs. Moved on to stay with someone else then just before Christmas headed to the South Island.
Old May 16th 2018, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Now 11 perhaps much to your angst they are still in NZ . They have settled in a small south island location where she is working in an old persons home. Trevor does not work it seems. Sheilas latest plan is to save her money and buy a condo in PI without Trevor knowing. It does not appear that Trevor allows Sheila to control the finances anymore and to the casual observer he has already blown half their wealth in less than a year.
No more installments at the moment but with winter coming it will not be long before the Antartic winds blow them back to PI.
Old May 16th 2018, 7:08 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

For those wanting to see the car crash this is about, then look no further..

Me and My Family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.