Tesco in SM

Old Aug 26th 2015, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tesco in SM

In case you missed the publicity, don't watch KrisTV, don't shop at the selected SM groceries where the promotion is operating (eg SouthMall, MegaMall,,MOA) there's a wide range of own brand Tesco groceries on sale. Tesco may not be your favourite UK grocery, it's not mine, and most of the products seem to me to not be attractive at the prices asked. Who's going to buy a pack of their salt?

However, in a few cases it may be worth it to, for example, find a can of baked beans that doesn't require one to fish out pork fat before consuming! Or get a gift for someone left out when you last came back from a UK trip.

What's next? Sainsbury's at Robinsons?
Old Aug 26th 2015, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tesco in SM

We buy CIAO baked beans from SM consolacion. Made in Italy and more than acceptable. Very like Tesco/Waitrose own brand.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of turning this into a baked beans thread...coincidentally, as I was putting my can of Tesco beans into the basket a fellow Brit brought the CIAO brand to my notice. I bought a can and have compared them with Tesco's. I would say they are certainly acceptable, nice taste....just that the Tesco beans are a bit softer. However the Italian brand is a great deal cheaper. And they are also certainly better than the Spanish Montera brand, which has nice beans but in a tasteless sauce.
As an alternative there is a brand of Pork and Beans available in Walter Mart - "Senorita" - smaller UK type beans and with just one or two bits of pork fat.
When in the UK last year I was greatly disappointed with the revamped Heinz beans - too thick a sauce now for my liking.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the CIAO beans now available in SM City, Consolacion, are fine, but need a little spicing up. At least they are suitable for vegetarians. For some reason Hunts Baked Beans without meat, have not been available for months. Gaisano Pacific Mall in Mandaue, occasionally have Heinz Beans, but at a price.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

steve18 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found the AYAM baked beans were very nice. I believe they are made in Malaysia. I always buy a few tins to add to my American breakfast when I visit there.im not sure on the price but there again I never check because I'm on holiday to I just don't compare prices
Old Aug 30th 2015, 9:21 am
Just Joined

hiflyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Waitrose and M&S food plus a wide selection of Japanese and Korean brands can be found in Fort Bonifacio.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Waitrose is in Rustans

I buy the beans and pork sausages from tesco plus their own brand of dish washing liquid and fabric softner

All else for me is not of interest, we v can get as good from local sources far cheaper

Now if they sent some of the beers and wines they stock at fair price then it could get interesting plus a good confectionary range

Biscuits why not custard creams and bourbons etc instead of more mc vities style plus Manor house fruit cakes that are sealed with malt fruit loaves etc

The marketing team really need to re think what they are sending

Nice to see them trying hope they persevere and chop and change the range they are sending
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
Waitrose is in Rustans

I buy the beans and pork sausages from tesco plus their own brand of dish washing liquid and fabric softner

All else for me is not of interest, we v can get as good from local sources far cheaper

Now if they sent some of the beers and wines they stock at fair price then it could get interesting plus a good confectionary range

Biscuits why not custard creams and bourbons etc instead of more mc vities style plus Manor house fruit cakes that are sealed with malt fruit loaves etc

The marketing team really need to re think what they are sending

Nice to see them trying hope they persevere and chop and change the range they are sending
A lot of the product we are familier with that we see in the tropics have had their recipes adjusted to cope with the climate. A lot of the product we see in the UK supermarkets wouldn't survive. Have you notice how the packaging is a lot heavier in the Philippines than the UK, that's to keep the bugs out.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes Gazza -d many locally made products are sweetened to aid preservation ..bread for one. Whether this has given people here a sweet tooth or they have developed that for other reasons they won't be too keen on the taste of some British products, which have undergone significant reductions in sugar and salt content over recent years. Hunts Pork and Beans has more than double the sugar content per 100g serving compared with the Tesco offering. Interestingly Hunts is a bit lower in salt, perhaps because it is a US company. But generally there's a lot of salt in food products here.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried making your own, I have and if I had a bigger kitchen - Watch Out Heinz.

I use the attached as a basis and adjust a little bit to my own taste buds ( I normally add a little bit of chilli and Worcestershire sauce and leave out the celery), all ingredients widely available here.

How to cook the perfect baked beans | Life and style | The Guardian
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Marks & Spencer also have a limited range attached to their department store
Old Sep 4th 2015, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

While residing in the UK I was never too fond of own label products except for a few items from Sainsbury's, Waitrose and M&S. Anyway, I expect they've now dropped those products.. but I decided a while ago to wean myself off UK brands here, mainly because of the price but partly because getting re-acquainted with them is one big thing I look forward to on UK trips. I usually shy away from the international sections here too.
But I wonder which UK branded products contributors are willing to regularly pay over the odds for here in the Philippines?
Old Sep 9th 2015, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steve18
I found the AYAM baked beans were very nice. I believe they are made in Malaysia. I always buy a few tins to add to my American breakfast when I visit there.im not sure on the price but there again I never check because I'm on holiday to I just don't compare prices
He's definitely on to something here..Ayam beans are the larger bean which seems to be the favourite in these parts....they are a bit spicy and vinegary though....which may not be to everybody's taste. Price wise they are more expensive than the CIAO brand but not tremendously so.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Made another visit today to the SM SouthMall Las Pinas, where I had first seen the Tesco own brand products a few weeks ago. Their Baked Beans are now down to the much more reasonable price of P67, but arrivederci CIAO baked beans .. now not on sale! Other CIAO products were there but not their cheaper and quite acceptable Baked Beans. Tesco may have lost some market power in the UK but it seems they can get their way with SM.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

CIAO are P47.50 in Consolacion, Cebu. So P67 doesn't seem a bad price in comparison.
White Gold in NRA, often used to have different items of British food on sale, on a very random basis. Usually at a well marked up price. Different things, every time you went. Rustans and Robinsons often used to have some British foods too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.