To staff or not to staff?

Old Nov 1st 2015, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future
Default To staff or not to staff?

Hi all, I am considering a move to the Philippines (Metro Manila) with work. I'm curious about hiring staff. - What is the typical make up of household staff in the Philippines? (none, housekeeper, nanny, driver, security?)- Do most expats hire drivers or self-drive?- Is it usual for drivers to drop kids off at school alone?- What are the usual costs for staff members?- Has anyone experienced any problems or have any advice on staff matters? Cheers!
Old Nov 1st 2015, 9:13 pm
Banned

BloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyBrilliance has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To staff or not to staff?

The answer is it depends. For starters, driving in Metro Manila is a bit of a challenge for foreigners who are stepping foot in the country for the first time. Safe to say, the traffic rules are pretty standard, but implementation is a bit bizarro. It is best to have a driver at the onset while you get yourself used to the environment [and helps from getting you lost from time to time]. Having a housekeeper or a nanny is more of a preference than a requirement, per se if you get my drift. Security, not really. That can be a bit overkill. As long as you are aware of your surroundings [as you should be anywhere around the world, anyway], that's fine.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCFD
Hi all, I am considering a move to the Philippines (Metro Manila) with work. I'm curious about hiring staff. - What is the typical make up of household staff in the Philippines? (none, housekeeper, nanny, driver, security?)- Do most expats hire drivers or self-drive?- Is it usual for drivers to drop kids off at school alone?- What are the usual costs for staff members?- Has anyone experienced any problems or have any advice on staff matters? Cheers!
I have lived and worked here for the past 14 years and drive.....except into the center of MM, we employ a temporary driver for that.

Be very very careful about hiring ANY staff. Live in staff can potentially be more of a threat than a help.

If you are looking for school transfer then I suggest use the accredited school bus, if not driving yourself.

Labour laws are fraught with challenges and security is an issue. Suggest you build driver service and maid service into your contract so screening and employment obligations are done.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

How would you propose hiring someone that you can trust in the family environment ?
Old Nov 4th 2015, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
How would you propose hiring someone that you can trust in the family environment ?
1. Trust no one.
2. Word of mouth
3. Employ family, will be lazzy and steal your food but unlikely to steal your kids.