Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Retiring to the Philippines

Retiring to the Philippines

Old Sep 21st 2008, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to the Philippines

A lot in what MattWilkie says Minglnilla is indeed reasonably quiet, and has undergone massive changes in the last couple of decades. It is very pleasant there, and not far from Talisay and Tabunok, where there is a Gaisano. It is within easy reach of Cebu City.
Places like Argao tend to be expensive, because of the plush beach resorts, that attract dollar money. There are several places to the South quiet and peaceful, but the further you go, the longer to get to the city.

An update on the ATM's Allied bank now merged with PNP accepts Visa credit and debit cards, and although a P20,000 limit is muted, in reality the maximum is P10,000, anymore than that, and you need to go to one of the BDO places that will do over the counter transactions up to P200,000. You need to fill in a form, and have a photocopy of your passport information page, and your card, which the bank retains.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:14 am
Banned

Ryantalk is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a new development i have seen that could be perfect for you call putro pricess have a look online for it . its a development outside manila where they have a ferry for residence to take you to mall of asia its about equal distance from manila as tagatay and the community looks like they will been self sufficant with own shops bars clubs and things also private beach i am considering it myself and i am 29 from the midalnds lived in manila for 2 years now hope this helps let me know how you get on
Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:19 am
Just Joined

walkyria is an unknown quantity at this point

I will stay in phi, only have to find a place to stay at.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

mattwilkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are you thinking of staying and what budget? I can help you with both ;-)
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:07 am
Just Joined

walkyria is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be somewhere in palawan and as cheap as possible with clean air, water, electricity and internet........
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Location: San Fernando, La Union, Illocos Sur, Luzon, Philippines
slowsmile is on a distinguished road

...Just come back from a weeks holiday in a place called Saud beach in Pagudpud, on the north western tip of Luzon in the Philippines. I've been to the beaches in Europe, Thailand, Malysia etc., but I have never seen such a beautiful, natural beach like Saud Beach. The hotels, only a few, are hidden amongst the dense palm trees, the beach itself has powdery, clean sand; the water is turquoise-blue; the beach is unspoilt and uncrowded, always breezy and much cooler than the lowlands or Manila. It was low-season when I went and I did a deal with a 4 star hotel which cost 2600 per night in the low season and 4400 pesos in the peak season. They let me have the room for only 1500 pesos a night for a week. This room had a large floor area, cable, fridge, two double beds, and a large balcony/hall overlooking their interal swimming pool.

If you have all the money in the world then go ahead and spend it on Boracay(I lived there for four months) and Mactan(I know it well) and other
"regular" phillies holiday hotspots. But if you want to go somewhere different, somewhere cheap, somewhere quiet and beautiful, Saud Beach is the one.There is also another beach - Maira-ira or Blue Lagoon Cove which is well known by wind and kite surfer enthusiasts. Here, the water is deep blue, much fiercer winds, craggy mountains all round and very primitive. But also very beautiful.

I remember just after I arrived, I sat for four hours - completely content - outside the Apo Idon hotel(my hotel on Saud Beach), continually stunned at the views across the bay.

You can get to Saud beach by:

Flying from Manila to Laoag(1 hour flight, about 1800 pesos one-way)
Taking a non aircon bus from Laoag to Pagudpud(2 hours approx).
Taking a trike to Saud Beach(15 mins).

I also have details of 3 hotels there if anyone's interested.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Jumamoja....when I see your name I recall times in Kenya, what a place.

...anyway back to retiring in Philippines. The biggest problem here is BOREDOM! Met many Brits who have all the trimmings, ie big house, nice young wife, 4 wheel drive car, maid, gardener and driver but BORED.

A nearby chap we know attends a weekly expat meet to drink beer and mix with other Brits.... "otherwise I'd go mad" he says.

Money gets you everything here but it can make you idle, why dig the garden when a chap will do it for 3 pounds. Luxury goods are not cheap however and you need to choose your hobbie or interest carefully.

We know a chap whos's wife is in the UK working and sending him money each month with her families needs. She has a boyfriend there and rumour has it that her sister here is taking care of the husband. He gets bigger and bigger drinking more beer and just sitting....what a life!

We are busy with our lives here and contented but I feel sorry for other ex-pats who saw the grass greener on the other side of the fence and made the committment. I would advise anyone retiring in the Philippines to do it as a single person for a couple of years before settling down for good. All is easy to buy but not to sell.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:55 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

I think if you don't have hobbies or interests you can get bored anywhere.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

SvampBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunnydays
Jumamoja....when I see your name I recall times in Kenya, what a place.

...anyway back to retiring in Philippines. The biggest problem here is BOREDOM! Met many Brits who have all the trimmings, ie big house, nice young wife, 4 wheel drive car, maid, gardener and driver but BORED.

A nearby chap we know attends a weekly expat meet to drink beer and mix with other Brits.... "otherwise I'd go mad" he says.

Money gets you everything here but it can make you idle, why dig the garden when a chap will do it for 3 pounds. Luxury goods are not cheap however and you need to choose your hobbie or interest carefully.

We know a chap whos's wife is in the UK working and sending him money each month with her families needs. She has a boyfriend there and rumour has it that her sister here is taking care of the husband. He gets bigger and bigger drinking more beer and just sitting....what a life!

We are busy with our lives here and contented but I feel sorry for other ex-pats who saw the grass greener on the other side of the fence and made the committment. I would advise anyone retiring in the Philippines to do it as a single person for a couple of years before settling down for good. All is easy to buy but not to sell.
Sorry for intruding in to this "British expat.com". I'm from Sweden! I have read this thread and I just want to say that what -sunnydays- is writing is a very common to a lot of westerners moving to a cheap country in Asia. For four years I have bean traveling in Thailand, Laos, Malaysia and Cambodia. Everywhere I staid, in different city's for a period not longer than three month in each place I get same feeling about the fellow westerner ho lives there that the only thing that keeps them together is the beer and the common interest of lose women. Offcurse there a lots of acceptations, but not the norm! One could say Ive seen everything and it is a very dangerous not having hobby's. The slippery slope is very close!

Now I am in Sweden and soon I am going back to Asia but this time a lot wiser. The only country were you can met another westerner ore a western girl for that matter or a local girl is in Malaysia that will not put a dirty stigma on your person.
One more thing with Malaysia is that you get 3 month o.a.v. at no cost and the country is suitable for traveling to everywhere in Asia with fore ex. Air asia ... cheap, cheap!... And explore more!
Only Malaysian food is a good reason for living there and the rents south of KL is super cheap!
Every second month travel somewhere and in between come home to rest and exercise!
Boredom.... dangerous!

Regards
SvampBob
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SvampBob
The only country were you can met another westerner ore a western girl for that matter or a local girl is in Malaysia that will not put a dirty stigma on your person.

SvampBob
Sorry to disappoint, but I am a Westerner and female and in Thailand and a fair number of other Western women around here too. If you frequent certain types of bars, you probably won't see too many Western women.

But, anyway, thread is about Retiring to the Philippines
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Sorry to disappoint, but I am a Westerner and female and in Thailand and a fair number of other Western women around here too. If you frequent certain types of bars, you probably won't see too many Western women.

But, anyway, thread is about Retiring to the Philippines
Well I can tell you that you don't find western women i the rulers parts of a country and if you do and they are single= desperate for company!
Go to Khon khen, Udon Thani, Chang Rai, Korat etc. you see a lot of western men but no western women except for the odd one (teaching English). 100% of them are NOT living there with there western wife! No, no... they fond ther love far down in city called Pattaya and moved away... up! I have no problem with this, I just see how it is and wen I grow much older maby I will do the same! And if move to Mukdahan or Roi Et in far east Thailand... I wold like to now about the boredom problem and plan ahead!

I think anyone hos got the brain can figger out that this is not a problem for just Thailand. I wold think this I as much a problem in the Philippines as well!
You are right about the "But, anyway, thread is about Retiring to the Philippines" thing. Sorry for stepping in and trying to furthermore put lights on a situation wish is very common in ASIA and not only in the PH.

"Sorry to disappoint, but I am a Westerner and female and in Thailand and a fair number of other Western women around here too. If you frequent certain types of bars, you probably won't see too many Western women."
To this I can only say, I have never been to Phuket. Probably I newer will. Can I ask you a question..? Way do you chose to live your life's in an area that reminds you of the life's were you came from? Do you speak the thai lingual? You like to see riff-raff western tourist in every corner? Rude Thais that are so feed up with the long nose people and smile only because it is good for business, Way!?

To the starter to this thread.. I wish you good luck and happiness in the Philippines. You wrote that you liked the food and enjoy fishing. I hope you will do okay with that!

See you one my exploring trips!

Regards
SvampBob
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:05 am
Account Closed

Can I ask you a question..? Way do you chose to live your life's in an area that reminds you of the life's were you came from? Do you speak the thai lingual? You like to see riff-raff western tourist in every corner? Rude Thais that are so feed up with the long nose people and smile only because it is good for business, Way!?
Sorry don't wish to hijack this interesting thread re the Philippines, but you may certainly ask me a question or two - I'm happy to answer.

I'm not sure I understand your first question. Where I live in the southern part of Phuket does not remind me of my "home" country - England. Neither does it remind me of the country I last lived in - Singapore.

Do I speak the Thai language? I can speak conversational Thai - still a lot of room for improvement but that is one of the joys of "retirement" that you can afford to spend time on things. I can read and write Thai - not essential I know - but it's just a hobby for me.

Do I like to see riff-raff Western tourists? No I don't - that's why I live in a semi-rural location (far away from Patong which I think sucks - though a lot of people like it and good luck to them). Having said that, I do enjoy the company of other western expats and would always seek out any location with a number of expats to converse with. I have Thai friends but I am not and will never be Thai. I am expat.

Rude Thais? I guess we have been lucky so far. We've found most Thais to be friendly and helpful here. We've had far more problems with a few expats.

Any other questions, do send a PM, or you may like to start a new thread?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Sorry don't wish to hijack this interesting thread re the Philippines, but you may certainly ask me a question or two - I'm happy to answer.

I'm not sure I understand your first question. Where I live in the southern part of Phuket does not remind me of my "home" country - England. Neither does it remind me of the country I last lived in - Singapore.

Do I speak the Thai language? I can speak conversational Thai - still a lot of room for improvement but that is one of the joys of "retirement" that you can afford to spend time on things. I can read and write Thai - not essential I know - but it's just a hobby for me.

Do I like to see riff-raff Western tourists? No I don't - that's why I live in a semi-rural location (far away from Patong which I think sucks - though a lot of people like it and good luck to them). Having said that, I do enjoy the company of other western expats and would always seek out any location with a number of expats to converse with. I have Thai friends but I am not and will never be Thai. I am expat.

Rude Thais? I guess we have been lucky so far. We've found most Thais to be friendly and helpful here. We've had far more problems with a few expats.

Any other questions, do send a PM, or you may like to start a new thread?
katongkaren, you seam to bee a educated woman and I think you deserve your life in Katong.
However, there is this typical tone in your writing that reminds me of western women that I think we men dislike the most. Only your writing style is, if i can say so, disguised!

SvamBob

Last edited by SvampBob; Jan 15th 2009 at 9:18 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:36 am
Account Closed

katongkaren, you seam to bee a educated woman and I think you deserve your life in Katong.
However, there is this typical tone in your writing that reminds me of western women that I think we men dislike the most. Only your writing style is, if i can say so, disguised!

SvamBob
I don't live in Katong. My location is posted at the side. My writing style is disguised??? Blimey, that's a bit too advanced for me - sorry I'm only an O-level gal.

"western women that I think we men dislike the most" - maybe you'd like to consult with the western man I've been with (happily) for the last 26 years?

cheers
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by slowsmile
Well, I am settled and living in a place called San Fernando in Ilocos Sur, Luzon.

Food is extremely fresh and cheap here, way cheaper than Cebu or Manila.
What is the infrastructure like in San Fernando in terms of transportation, electricity, water, internet services, hospitals?

Interesting about the cheap fresh food. I read that food in Cebu can be quite expensive due to lack of transportation/distribution means, which kind of surprised me. I imagined that there would be lots of local produce grown, much the same as Thailand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.