QUALITY OF TRADEMEN

Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:41 am
been here b4

hcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of lighthcmcman is a glorious beacon of light
Default QUALITY OF TRADEMEN

Is it just me or are most people frustrated at the quality of work and skills of tradesmen here ? If I hire a joiner I would ask if he is OK building the item and EVERYONE says yes, I explain I want high quality work he says yes no problem. .......I return to find him sleeping and the work is crap quality ??? Where am I going wrong here. I have no problem at all paying some one to do something I can not but why should or would I pay that person if I can do it better ?????

Help explain this to me please
Old Sep 17th 2016, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QUALITY OF TRADEMEN

The only way to be reasonably certain of the guys you employ is to ask on here for recommendations. Most of us have been in precisely your situation and between us have "discovered" quite reliable guys. The biggest problem is that, for example, my joiner is in Cebu City so no use to you up in Luzon!
We now know good guys for aircon work, electrical, joinery, tile laying, car mechanic etc but it's taken 3 years to find them with some horrendous problems along the way! Good luck in your search!
Old Sep 17th 2016, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hcmcman
Is it just me or are most people frustrated at the quality of work and skills of tradesmen here ? If I hire a joiner I would ask if he is OK building the item and EVERYONE says yes, I explain I want high quality work he says yes no problem. .......I return to find him sleeping and the work is crap quality ??? Where am I going wrong here. I have no problem at all paying some one to do something I can not but why should or would I pay that person if I can do it better ?????

Help explain this to me please
Your big mistake was "I Return", until your tradesman has proved himself you never leave them alone. Sometimes they are not too sure how you want it done so with no one to ask they do it their way.

I had a bamboo nippa hut built in the garden and if I had not been here it would have been built as I drew it, but the lads suggested a slight change which made the thing look a lot better than my drawing.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Spalding UK : Cagayan de Oro Philippines ( from 2017)
keithg6nvc is an unknown quantity at this point

I can confirm with any one that is doing work on your place
be there or your job 'Maybe shoddy'
my friend has found this to be the case and also 'overcharged' for the work
beware
Old Sep 18th 2016, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely this is the case wherever in the world you are and certainly not limited to Philippines. Common sense prevails, use tradesmen that you either know to be good, or come recommended by a friend or colleague. Evaluate his work by looking at other jobs he has done. Also remember the old adage, pay peanuts and you will get get monkeys..!!
Old Sep 19th 2016, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Simon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can probably help find good people in Angeles. My boss (a Filipino) had his office built by local tradesmen and everything is done to a high quality (he worked in US for 8 years).

But as people said above, you need to keep an eye on the people and make sure they're doing what they're being paid for.... I haven't had so much experience myself but heard from other expats that Filipinos either get paid for completing the job - in which case they cut as many corners as they can, or they get paid per day - in which case they try to drag the job out forever

...and never pay up front. Because you'll never see those people again!
Old Sep 19th 2016, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon1983
I can probably help find good people in Angeles. My boss (a Filipino) had his office built by local tradesmen and everything is done to a high quality (he worked in US for 8 years).

But as people said above, you need to keep an eye on the people and make sure they're doing what they're being paid for.... I haven't had so much experience myself but heard from other expats that Filipinos either get paid for completing the job - in which case they cut as many corners as they can, or they get paid per day - in which case they try to drag the job out forever

And don't let them use your tools as they will abuse them.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi Simon

If you eliminate:-

1 paying for the job on completion (cutting corners)
2 paying per day (dragging job out)
3 paying up front (never see them again)

What payment method would you recommend?
Old Sep 19th 2016, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Simon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by David Mashael
Hi Simon

If you eliminate:-

1 paying for the job on completion (cutting corners)
2 paying per day (dragging job out)
3 paying up front (never see them again)

What payment method would you recommend?

Hahaha that's a very good question!

I always avoid number 3.

The best is number 1, but as others have said you need to be supervising the work, otherwise you'll have to pay the workers extra to redo the bits they did wrong.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Hahaha that's a very good question!

I always avoid number 3.

The best is number 1, but as others have said you need to be supervising the work, otherwise you'll have to pay the workers extra to redo the bits they did wrong.
Sorry Simon, my question was bit tongue in cheek, and yes I agree option1 probably best, lol.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Yo will be expected to pay/buy materials up front, another minefield
Old Sep 19th 2016, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the UK when I had my house built here. We had a proper contract that I wrote and the architect copied, nearly word for word. Drawings signed by us both. It was a lump sum for materials, labour, paperwork etc, all and any problems were his to correct and or resolve. A member of the family was employed and given a video camera and told to go and video when ever he liked, the builder understood ( and had stupidly copied into his contract ) that any substandard work was to be ripped out and redone, it was only when I told him I could end up seeing the video up to 6 weeks later he looked a bit funny. I also withheld P250k until I had done my inspection if there was anything wrong he had to repair it or I would use the money to bring in another contractor to do the job and he would get what money was left. 8 years on no major problems have been found only downstairs shower has the drain as the highest point and the main drain to the road does not have the standard fall so that has to be jetted out every few months, takes about half hour.

I think I may have been lucky because I have heard some horror stories.