Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Phillippines - cost of living question

Phillippines - cost of living question

Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Stuart05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Phillippines - cost of living question

Hi All.
I have just joined this site and wish to inquire if there is anyone can give me an insight on cost of living in the Philippines. ie:
Cost to buy 2/3 bed house with pool.
Cost of electric/gas per month.
Cost of water per month.
Average price of family saloon car (3yrs old). Fuel cost per liter.
Weekly shop for groceries.
Eating out for two.

Please Email: <snip>

Kindest Regards,

Stuart.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 2nd 2016 at 12:40 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 12:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phillippines.

Hi, welcome to BE.

I've removed your email address - never a good idea to put it on a public forum that anybody can see, and where it will be picked up by every spambot out there!

Anybody with info can just post on your thread, that way it's useful to others that may search in the future too. I'll move your thread to the Philippines forum now where the good folks there will no doubt be able to help give you an idea of costs.

Good luck.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phillippines - cost of living question

Cost to buy 2/3 bed house with pool. Total depends where you live. I live in the provinces and have a fairly high quality 3 bed, 2 story house with no pool, cost about PHP4.5 million, I am sure in Manila 10 times that

Cost of electric/gas per month. PHP3000 per month, here I do not & never will have AC, but if I lived in Manila I most likely would

Cost of water per month. Not too sure as mine is bore water and therefore dependent on amount of rainfall/pump usage.

Average price of family saloon car (3yrs old). Totally depends on what you are looking for, have a look for a site that does used cars. price vs UK is expensive, somewhere between 3 and 7 times the price, could be cheaper in Manila though

Fuel cost per liter. I am paying 34/ltr, but that maybe a bit higher than places like Manila

Weekly shop for groceries. Daily shop for basic meat, veg, fruit etc at local market between PHP500>750, including the dogs and some family. ( meat 170>240/kg, fish 60>160/kg [ tuna normally 80/kg], potatoes/carrots/onions 80>100/kg, eggs 6/each, local veg 5>10/bunch, today some lovely avocados at 10/each, mangoes 80/kg, pig dick and balls for soup Nr5 @ 75/kg )

Eating out for two. Could be anything, my local beer house has fried chicken bums on a stick start at 5>10/stick, depending on the size of bum. Roast or BBQ whole chicken takeout about 160/chicken.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Crystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stuart05
Hi All.
I have just joined this site and wish to inquire if there is anyone can give me an insight on cost of living in the Philippines. ie:
Cost to buy 2/3 bed house with pool.
Cost of electric/gas per month.
Cost of water per month.
Average price of family saloon car (3yrs old). Fuel cost per liter.
Weekly shop for groceries.
Eating out for two.

Please Email: <snip>

Kindest Regards,

Stuart.
Wondering why you're asking this? Do you plan to move there for work, retire or to live with a Filipino who you've been communicating with? It seems a random question, without explaining your reasons for wanting the info you've asked for?
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Adding to Stokkevn.
As a foreigner you cannot purchase land, if your spouse is a Filipina no problem.
For a house to your specs in the Metro Manila area 20 million minimum
Electricity I pay on average PHP2200 per month but I only use the air cons sparingly. My American neighbour uses his 24/7 and his monthly bill is PHP13000.
Water 300PHP
I wouldn't buy a used car.
Weekly shop for two using a supermarket PHP2000, but depends on your needs and wants
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

my wife owns house 220sqm, my funding etc we are foreigners. Buy from the bank as title will be clear and prices very negotiable. You can pick up decent buys at 6m, with pool expect to be upwards of 10m

do not be shy by not going above 60% of what they are asking

Cars good news is the local machine shops can run out replacement parts at good prices. Bad news for second hand vehicles is that all moving parts may have to be replaced as servicing and maintenance is an unkown, except for it having not been done!! we have second hand ford everest 2.6dm. when first bought spent too much on putting in right, now as i maintain the running costs are way lower. saving is the running costs of cheap diesel fuel about 1000 pesos per week, school runs, shopping and social etc

We look after a larger household of anywhere between 6-8 regulars and up to 10 when the freeloaders turn up... far far too often!! weekly budget 7000 pesos.

Just changed our bedroom to 1hp inverter from 2hp non inverter we used to run aircon at night in hot summer bills about 8000pm. Out of summer no air con just fans bills would be 3000pm. Since then we also now have inverter fridge freezer and cut down on gadgets so next months bills should be interesting.

cooking Gas 600pm

Maynilad water 1000pm we have 4 ensuite bedrooms plus laundery with cr etc

annual property tax 8000pa and 200 pm monthly dues

Biggest cost is school fees circa 300,000 pesos pa
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bealinehx.
Thanks for this rough idea.
We would be looking to purchase a 2/3 bed house in the province not in Manila. A budget of PHP5,500,000.00. Are there any property taxes to pay and what would a solicitor charge. Is there any land registry and immovable property taxes? Do you pay for things like refuse collection and community tax?
Thanks for your help.
Stuart.

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
Adding to Stokkevn.
As a foreigner you cannot purchase land, if your spouse is a Filipina no problem.
For a house to your specs in the Metro Manila area 20 million minimum
Electricity I pay on average PHP2200 per month but I only use the air cons sparingly. My American neighbour uses his 24/7 and his monthly bill is PHP13000.
Water 300PHP
I wouldn't buy a used car.
Weekly shop for two using a supermarket PHP2000, but depends on your needs and wants
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Phillippines.

Hi christmasoompa.
Thanks for that I wasn't thinking. I appreciate your help

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

I've removed your email address - never a good idea to put it on a public forum that anybody can see, and where it will be picked up by every spambot out there!

Anybody with info can just post on your thread, that way it's useful to others that may search in the future too. I'll move your thread to the Philippines forum now where the good folks there will no doubt be able to help give you an idea of costs.

Good luck.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi Stokkevn.
Thanks for your time on this. It is a good insight and good information.
Hope to speak again soon

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Cost to buy 2/3 bed house with pool. Total depends where you live. I live in the provinces and have a fairly high quality 3 bed, 2 story house with no pool, cost about PHP4.5 million, I am sure in Manila 10 times that

Cost of electric/gas per month. PHP3000 per month, here I do not & never will have AC, but if I lived in Manila I most likely would

Cost of water per month. Not too sure as mine is bore water and therefore dependent on amount of rainfall/pump usage.

Average price of family saloon car (3yrs old). Totally depends on what you are looking for, have a look for a site that does used cars. price vs UK is expensive, somewhere between 3 and 7 times the price, could be cheaper in Manila though

Fuel cost per liter. I am paying 34/ltr, but that maybe a bit higher than places like Manila

Weekly shop for groceries. Daily shop for basic meat, veg, fruit etc at local market between PHP500>750, including the dogs and some family. ( meat 170>240/kg, fish 60>160/kg [ tuna normally 80/kg], potatoes/carrots/onions 80>100/kg, eggs 6/each, local veg 5>10/bunch, today some lovely avocados at 10/each, mangoes 80/kg, pig dick and balls for soup Nr5 @ 75/kg )

Eating out for two. Could be anything, my local beer house has fried chicken bums on a stick start at 5>10/stick, depending on the size of bum. Roast or BBQ whole chicken takeout about 160/chicken.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuart05
Hi Bealinehx.
Thanks for this rough idea.
We would be looking to purchase a 2/3 bed house in the province not in Manila. A budget of PHP5,500,000.00. Are there any property taxes to pay and what would a solicitor charge. Is there any land registry and immovable property taxes? Do you pay for things like refuse collection and community tax?
Thanks for your help.
Stuart.
Solicitors are called Attorneys and reputations for straight dealings with this class of 'professionals' does not leave one with a warm and fuzzy feeling. Their fees when they see you will be that much higher!!

If you want to avoid those issues, Then i suggest you buy from the banks, they have lots of stock on their books and they would be delighted to sell them. The titles will be clean and all bills up to date. Your costs will be small as you will take the documents provided by the bank to the local municipal hall for them to issue the updated transfer title.

Your garbage costs and street lighting are all covered in the annual property tax bill and if in a gated subdivision you may have a modest monthly dues system to cover security and other highly local services. Ask at the barangay hall for these costs before moving in.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the information mikemike
Much appreciated

Originally Posted by mikemike
Solicitors are called Attorneys and reputationsfor straight dealings with this class of 'professionals' does not leave one with a warm and fuzzy feeling. Their fees when they see you will be that much higher!!

If you want to avoid those issues, Then i suggest you buy from the banks, they have lots of stock on their books and they would be delighted to sell them. The titles will be clean and all bills up to date. Your costs will be small as you will take the documents provided by the bank to the local municipal hall for them to issue the updated transfer title.

Your garbage costs and street lighting are all covered in the annual property tax bill and if in a gated subdivision you may have a modest monthly dues system to cover security and other highly local services. Ask at the barangay hall for these costs before moving in.