Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Philippines under a State Of National Emergency

Philippines under a State Of National Emergency

Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough
Default Philippines under a State Of National Emergency

MALACAÑANG PALACE
MANILA

PROCLAMATION NO. 1017

PROCLAMATION DECLARING A STATE OF NATIONAL EMERGENCY

WHEREAS, over these past months, elements in the political opposition have conspired with authoritarians of the extreme Left represented by the NDF-CPP-NPA and the extreme Right, represented by military adventurists--the historical enemies of the democratic Philippine State—who are now in tactical alliance and engaged in a concerted and systematic conspiracy, over a broad front, to bring down the duly constituted Government elected in May 2004.

WHEREAS, these conspirators have repeatedly tried to bring down the President;

WHEREAS, the claims of these elements have been recklessly magnified by certain segments of the national media;

WHEREAS, this series of actions is hurting the Philippine State--by obstructing governance including hindering the growth of the economy and sabotaging the people’s confidence in government and their faith in the future of this country;

WHEREAS, these actions are adversely affecting the economy;

WHEREAS, these activities give totalitarian forces of both the extreme Left and extreme Right the opening to intensity their avowed aims to bring down the democratic Philippine State;

WHEREAS, Article 2, Section 4 of our Constitution makes the defense and preservation of the democratic institutions and the State the primary duty of Government;

WHEREAS, the activities above-described, their consequences, ramifications and collateral effects constitute a clear and present danger to the safety and the integrity of the Philippine State and of the Filipino people;

NOW, THEREFORE, I Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, President of the Republic of the Philippines and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, by virtue of the powers vested upon me by Section 18, Article 7 of the Philippine Constitution which states that: “ The President…whenever it becomes necessary,…may call out (the) armed forces to prevent or suppress…rebellion…, “ and in my capacity as their Commander-in-Chief, do hereby command the Armed Forces of the Philippines, to maintain law and order throughout the Philippines, prevent or suppress all forms of lawless violence as well any act of insurrection or rebellion and to enforce obedience to all the laws and to all decrees, orders and regulations promulgated by me personally or upon my direction; and as provided in Section 17, Article 12 of the Constitution do hereby declare a State of National Emergency.

IN WITNESS HEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the Republic of the Philippines to be affixed.

Done in the City of Manila, this 24th day of February, in the year of Our Lord, two thousand and six.

GLORIA MACAPAGAL-ARROYO
President
Republic of the Philippines
Old Feb 25th 2006, 6:55 am
Just Joined

David_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant future
Default Re: Philippines under a State Of National Emergency

President declares state of national emergency

President Arroyo declared a state of emergency Friday, hours after
disgruntled soldiers launched a coup attempt.

Press Secretary Ignacio Bunye said Mrs. Arroyo signed Proclamation No.
1017 placing the entire nation under a state of emergency.

In a televised speech, the President said the government will arrest
military officers and civilians linked to the coup attempt.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/topoftheh...?StoryId=30822

[Dont you think the Media and the Embassies are 'over playing' this attempted Coup?

Here in Cebu, if I had not seen any news on TV or read some message posts, I would not have know anything about this 'Coup' attempt - life here goes on just the same.

About the only thing of significance that I notice is the Peso dropped against the US$, which helped improve the GBP-PHP rate!

Take a look also at the difference in messages issued by the UK and US Embassies:-

UK

Political Situation

"The President of the Philippines declared a state of emergency on 24
February 2006, following the arrest of three people for an attempted
coup. Public protests are likely. You should avoid political
gatherings or demonstrations".

US

"Warden Message

February 24, 2006

The Embassy of the United States is transmitting the following information through the Embassy Warden system as a public service to American citizens in the Philippines. Please disseminate this message to all U.S. citizens in your organization or neighborhood. Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
---

The US Embassy is closely monitoring developments in the Philippines, including the declaration of a State of Emergency and potential additional street demonstrations. Although conditions have been largely calm, the situation is unpredictable.

American citizens in the Philippines are advised to take prudent steps to ensure their personal safety during this time. We wish to remind American citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. American citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations. They are also advised to remain aware of their surroundings, listen to news reports and ensure that travel documents are current.

The Embassy remains open for all regular public services.

American citizens with questions or concerns may telephone the Embassy at (63)(2) 528-6300. In case of an emergency outside business hours, American citizens may reach the Embassy duty officer through the Embassy operator at (63)(2) 528-6300. The U.S. Embassy is located at: 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Manila, Philippines, tel. 632 528-6300. The Consular American Citizen Services (ACS) section's fax number is 632 522-3242 and the ACS web page is at
http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/rp1/wwwhmain.html.

Americans who remain in the Philippines are strongly encouraged to register with the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Manila through the State Department's travel registration website,

https://travelregistration.state.gov

What's your view on the 'Press coverage' or the Embassies 'advice'?
Old Feb 25th 2006, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by David_LivingInCebu
President declares state of national emergency

President Arroyo declared a state of emergency Friday, hours after
disgruntled soldiers launched a coup attempt.

Press Secretary Ignacio Bunye said Mrs. Arroyo signed Proclamation No.
1017 placing the entire nation under a state of emergency.

In a televised speech, the President said the government will arrest
military officers and civilians linked to the coup attempt.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/topoftheh...?StoryId=30822

[Dont you think the Media and the Embassies are 'over playing' this attempted Coup?

Here in Cebu, if I had not seen any news on TV or read some message posts, I would not have know anything about this 'Coup' attempt - life here goes on just the same.

About the only thing of significance that I notice is the Peso dropped against the US$, which helped improve the GBP-PHP rate!

Take a look also at the difference in messages issued by the UK and US Embassies:-

UK

Political Situation

"The President of the Philippines declared a state of emergency on 24
February 2006, following the arrest of three people for an attempted
coup. Public protests are likely. You should avoid political
gatherings or demonstrations".

US

"Warden Message

February 24, 2006

The Embassy of the United States is transmitting the following information through the Embassy Warden system as a public service to American citizens in the Philippines. Please disseminate this message to all U.S. citizens in your organization or neighborhood. Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
---

The US Embassy is closely monitoring developments in the Philippines, including the declaration of a State of Emergency and potential additional street demonstrations. Although conditions have been largely calm, the situation is unpredictable.

American citizens in the Philippines are advised to take prudent steps to ensure their personal safety during this time. We wish to remind American citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. American citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations. They are also advised to remain aware of their surroundings, listen to news reports and ensure that travel documents are current.

The Embassy remains open for all regular public services.

American citizens with questions or concerns may telephone the Embassy at (63)(2) 528-6300. In case of an emergency outside business hours, American citizens may reach the Embassy duty officer through the Embassy operator at (63)(2) 528-6300. The U.S. Embassy is located at: 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Manila, Philippines, tel. 632 528-6300. The Consular American Citizen Services (ACS) section's fax number is 632 522-3242 and the ACS web page is at
http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/rp1/wwwhmain.html.

Americans who remain in the Philippines are strongly encouraged to register with the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Manila through the State Department's travel registration website,

https://travelregistration.state.gov

What's your view on the 'Press coverage' or the Embassies 'advice'?
I get news on this through GMA Pinoy TV(GMA-7 channel overseas). As for the press coverage, yes Philippine News do makes things bigger then they appear. But from overseas, the situation there looks worrying. Police breaking up rallyists, rebel soldiers, this could lead to Marshall Law.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:35 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I love the Philippines and the people, I do wonder how many more times a totally corrupt and bent leader is going to get voted in!
I'm sure the corruption is part of the reason why they get in, a bit of a catch 22, but it's just a shame.