Philippine women

Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

adi53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Philippine women

Not too certain where to start on this one, let's set the scene first before I launch into the main query. I'm a Brit, one of my businesses related to the internet is brand new, not making a penny yet, just costing me - as they all do in the beginning, I market it in a number of ways all to do with the net.

One of the sites I use brought me into contact with a Filipino lady, to cut a long story short we started communicating regularly about all kinds of things but we have got a hell of a lot closer over the past 4 or 5 months.

She knows what I do, she's in her 40s, widowed, living with her family near Cebu and has worked in Government for a long time now and has a good, responsible job as an accountant - never once has she talked about money, she seems to focus on me as a person, and her life in general, and seems to be patience personified, never any pressure - we have discussions about life in her country, she's clearly intelligent, and we've talked via Skype, but, and yes there has to be a but, I can be an untrusting person, (life I'm afraid - and age - I'm 56) until that is I find that trust is unlikely to be abused then I lighten up.

I've had Russian women attempt to rip me off, they didn't succeed but because I know absolutely ziltch about Philippine women, their customs, culture or loyalty etc., I am naturally curious if anyone has any opinions as to whether I'm possibly being taken for a ride..

I can't trace any signs that this women is being anything other than straight with me - she seems, caring, genuine and honest - but I have to admit because I am totally ignorant of the culture, and the nature of the women over there, I don't know how to take this interest - could it be genuine or not? I don't expect anyone to answer that, it's more rhetorical, I know ultimately this is my decision, its just people's experiences and knowledge that I seek - that I clearly lack.

From what I have read about the people and the country, and I appreciate there are pros and cons in every situation, most of what I read is positive, certainly lots of people I have read about who have entered into relationships with some of the women over there seem, in the main, very happy and mention the ladies over there are very special

The reason I'm writing this post is I'm thinking of moving to the region, not because of this woman, it's an idea I have had for a while, but I want to make certain I have a business I can run from anywhere in the world to provide an income. So does anybody have any 'beware' stories to enlighten me with, or even the opposite - I'm open either way, sure people here know far more than I do about the area, the people, it's culture and can therefore give me a better idea whether I should continue my cautious approach.

I wasn't seeking a relationship at the time, this just happened by accident I'm just wondering if my antennae are a little out of kilter and I'm being a little too over cautious because I lack knowledge of the people and culture - I would hate to spoil this seemingly growing 'relationship' (can't think of a better term) because I'm allowing past experiences to blur my vision and affect my reasoning. Thought this forum might give me a good place to turn to.

Apologies this has turned out to be a mega long post - Just wanted to give as much info as I thought was relevant.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 11:17 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Philippine women

ummm can't say its a good or bad idea to generalise, however don't sign over any property, give her any large cheques or agree to bail her family out of prison and you should be good to go

Common sense should prevail here and if she doesn't understand your reasons for being cautious, then she's playing you.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Well Adi a tough one this, as only you know the lady in question. From what you say money hasn't been talked about, which is a good sign! As is focussing on you as a person! She is widowed, and been in a government job for a fair while. A good sign of responsible behaviour I would say!

Yes I know of men taken for a ride, but that happens anywhere. Most Filipinas where their heart is given, are extremely loving, Like my wife of fourteen years. We lived in UK at first, but then moved here to Cebu, where I have lived for several years!

The people are warm, and friendly, just like the climate. There are few miserable people about, they may not have much, but they will still smile!

My best advice is to pay a visit here. Cebu has its own International Airport; Mactan, on Mactan island, joined to the mainland by two bridges!

You will soon see how genuine this woman is if you visit here! If she wants to spend as much time with you as possible, that's a good sign. If she meets you at the airport, another good sign. Warning she will most likely bring at least two relatives with her (chaperones)!

Ask her about places to stay, and judge by her response. Most probably she will try to put her own abode down, but believe me. Even the places that don't look much from the outside, you could eat your food off the floor, they are so well kept, almost without exception!

After September cheap fares are available, but they disappear early December. Christmas is a good time to visit, and government workers get some paid holiday over that period! I am sure that you will like Cebu, I fell in love with her the first time I set eyes on her twenty-seven years ago!

This lady most probably doesn't believe that you could possibly be interested in a woman of more than forty. Warning it is very common early in a relationship, for the woman to ask: what is your opinion, between you, and me? They are just seeing as to where they stand.

You haven't mentioned whereabouts this lady lives. So I will refrain from making suggestions for accomodation. I would recommend the Lonely Planet Guide to the Philippines, order a copy from W.H.Smiths or similar!

If you do come here, and want to drive (I do) you can use your foreign licence for ninety days!

If you need information, just post here, and I will do my best to answer. Currency whatever! There are lots of Internet sites here so no problem. The big malls have several.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Default Re Philippine women

Hi ToC,

Thanks for that, very informative.

I have to admit it crossed my mind that she may be surprised that I expressed an interest in her because of her age, however I found this one of her best features; old enough to offer maturity and stability, but young enough to still be able to enjoy life, and she's still an attractive lady too, however that said, it's her intelligence which is equally attractive. I wasn't seeing an airhead - nor a feminine version of Einstein either, simply a normal, intelligent woman - so she seems to fit the bill, and checked a lot of boxes.

In certain respects it's sad to think that she may be surprised at my interest, perhaps asking herself why I'm not looking for someone much younger, for one thing I don't kid myself that could happen (although I accept that anything is possible) or more importantly that someone much younger would not want to be with me for the wrong reasons, in that event short term gain could very well lead to long term loss - so I have to admit, the 'mature' lady is a more attractive proposition for a multitude of reasons. Apart from which, even younger women get older.

I agree a visit would be a good idea and Christmas time would suit me too.

Interesting comment about the 90 day use of a licence - what happens after that?

She did mention where she lived once, stupidly I've forgotten, we have sent each other emails virtually on a daily basis so there's quite a number been sent - I know she works in Cebu but lives outside the area and a member of the family drive her into work as she doesn't like using the car.

Once again thanks - I appreciate you having taken the trouble to reply.

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
Well Adi a tough one this, as only you know the lady in question. From what you say money hasn't been talked about, which is a good sign! As is focussing on you as a person! She is widowed, and been in a government job for a fair while. A good sign of responsible behaviour I would say!

Yes I know of men taken for a ride, but that happens anywhere. Most Filipinas where their heart is given, are extremely loving, Like my wife of fourteen years. We lived in UK at first, but then moved here to Cebu, where I have lived for several years!

The people are warm, and friendly, just like the climate. There are few miserable people about, they may not have much, but they will still smile!

My best advice is to pay a visit here. Cebu has its own International Airport; Mactan, on Mactan island, joined to the mainland by two bridges!

You will soon see how genuine this woman is if you visit here! If she wants to spend as much time with you as possible, that's a good sign. If she meets you at the airport, another good sign. Warning she will most likely bring at least two relatives with her (chaperones)!

Ask her about places to stay, and judge by her response. Most probably she will try to put her own abode down, but believe me. Even the places that don't look much from the outside, you could eat your food off the floor, they are so well kept, almost without exception!

After September cheap fares are available, but they disappear early December. Christmas is a good time to visit, and government workers get some paid holiday over that period! I am sure that you will like Cebu, I fell in love with her the first time I set eyes on her twenty-seven years ago!

This lady most probably doesn't believe that you could possibly be interested in a woman of more than forty. Warning it is very common early in a relationship, for the woman to ask: what is your opinion, between you, and me? They are just seeing as to where they stand.

You haven't mentioned whereabouts this lady lives. So I will refrain from making suggestions for accomodation. I would recommend the Lonely Planet Guide to the Philippines, order a copy from W.H.Smiths or similar!

If you do come here, and want to drive (I do) you can use your foreign licence for ninety days!

If you need information, just post here, and I will do my best to answer. Currency whatever! There are lots of Internet sites here so no problem. The big malls have several.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
ummm can't say its a good or bad idea to generalise, however don't sign over any property, give her any large cheques or agree to bail her family out of prison and you should be good to go

Common sense should prevail here and if she doesn't understand your reasons for being cautious, then she's playing you.
Hi, and thanks. Yes I have read elsewhere some horror stories in relation to what you mention, thankfully there hasn't been so much as a hint about money, property or anything of that nature.

All that seems apparent is that she likes my more 'open' approach of stating my feelings and I know she feels I am genuine - which I am. Like most of us, women and men, she's had some bad experiences, and she too doesn't want to be hurt.

Thanks once again.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Christmas is a good time to be here Adi, but you would need to book a ticket sooner rather than later to get a cheap fare! The third Sunday in January is the Sinulog, which I am sure your lady would love to tell you about! That's if she hasn't already!
Driving Licence:
After ninety days you can apply at the LTO (Land Transport Office) there is one in SM (ShoeMart) the big mall! A foreign licence for which you have taken a test automatically entitles you to a licence here, without having to take out a novice licence first! SM is a one stop centre, medical, drug test (wee in a bottle), photograph, and issue of same! It costs roughly P1000 (£13) everything included. It lasts three years expiring on your birthday! It is a; while you wait process, it takes under two hours if you go early!

Bank cards can be used in the ATM Visa or Mastercard, but a maximum withdrawal of P10,000 in one day! There is one outside Mactan Terminal, just to the right as you come out of the International Exit! Others in the shopping malls, and BDO or Allied, PNB, BPI banks.
You can get money across the counter at BDO with your card, minimum P20,000, maximum P200,000 in any one day, you need your passport, and another photographic ID say driver's licence. You need a photocopy of your passport photo page, bank card and other ID which the bank keeps. You also fill in a form obtainable at the counter! There is a BDO that does this opposite SM (South Side).

I know that you will be very impressed with Filipino hospitality!

You can stay twenty-one days without a visa, renewable to fifty-nine days or longer at Bureau of Immigration in Mandaue, opposite the hospital, and near the fire and police station. A short taxi ride from SM Mall. A fee is payable!

Yes the Filipinas are very intelligent, as well as beautiful. It is good to have someone to talk to who loves you, and you love back!

If the family have a car, then they are fairly well off at the least!

Good Luck, and if you have any more questions please ask! I will try to help, I know there are others who post here that like myself live in Cebu!